Spot of the day, Part 5

keefr22

5 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Alfa Sud 

52253205138_df3c7bd6e7_c_d.jpg

I don't remember seeing those in that condition when they were brand new - what a lovely car, would love one like that! My mate's mum had one and I had a chance to drive it a few times, they are great fun!

Some other lovely cars there too Gary, looks like a good show!

Keith

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I don't remember seeing those in that condition when they were brand new - what a lovely car, would love one like that! My mate's mum had one and I had a chance to drive it a few times, they are great fun!

Some other lovely cars there too Gary, looks like a good show!

Keith

Many of the cars had been lovingly restored to better than new , but others had been mildly done . Top marks to everyone who has saved these cars that were so familiar not so long ago . I enjoyed looking around these more so than ranks of 911s , Lambs ,Ferrari's etc . 

Gary . 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

I enjoyed looking around these more so than ranks of 911s , Lambs ,Ferrari's etc

I think I would too - always a chance to own one. My aim to get a 911 died a long time ago! 🤣

K

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 9:28 PM, Chimpion said:

I'll understand if no-one believes this one without evidence - I could barely believe me eyes today driving North up the German A8 Autobahn. As I was driving I couldn't take a photo so you'll have to decide how trustworthy I am...

I saw a Seat Ibiza. Not the latest facelift - I'd guess it was around 10 years old. What made it possibly my greatest spot ever was its rear end. Someone had moved the two rear wheels inwards so that they were within a foot of each other. At first I thought they'd made a three wheeler but there were definitely two distinct rear wheels very close to each other.

Why anyone would do that to a Seat Ibiza of all things is beyond me.

On 7/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, Black Knight said:

A strange modification. 

There must be some very special reason. Perhaps in its home country that would classify it as a three-wheeler. 

afair in the UK if two wheels are within a certain distance of each other they are classed as one wheel thus there are scooters on our roads which have double wheels on the front or rear but are still classed as two-wheel motorcycles

I have seen the same modification done on the Fiat 500 here in Germany and it is intended to allow 16 years with certain categories of drivers license to drive a “car”. In some German states even down to 15 years of age. Has to be a three-wheeler and below a certain weight class and surely also a lot of other rules applies. But ya, it looks horrendous 😂 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 9:31 AM, rob Lyttle said:

Now then, not strictly a bona fide spot of the day except "Spot on fbook", but this came up on my pages and I'm wondering what.....?! 

2022-07-31_12-22-10

Erm, late 50s perhaps? 

I immediately thought Velocette LE but that doesn't seem to be the case. The front forks look Ariel. Did they do a scootery type commuting thing? 

What is the BM verdict? 

You're right about the forks, it's an Ariel Leader!

A 250cc 2-stroke which was quite a forward-looking product for the time (1958-65).

There was a cheaper 200cc version, without the fairings, called the Arrow which was the subject of an Airfix kit.

Edited by Zephyr
Added dates, corrected spelling of 'Ariel'. Twice...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mate of mine had an Ariel Arrow. You knew not to get behind him for fear of burnt oil suffocation.

AIRFIX, ya know ya want to release this old kit.........yeah, in my dreams !

Beat me to it spotting the Leader !

Rog

• Like 2

I identified it but I got some of the info wrong!!!

Now corrected...

I built the Airfix Arrow a LONG time ago.

If they re-release it I'll buy one, so that's two definite sales so far...!

• Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 12:31 AM, rob Lyttle said:

Now then, not strictly a bona fide spot of the day except "Spot on fbook", but this came up on my pages and I'm wondering what.....?! 

2022-07-31_12-22-10

Erm, late 50s perhaps? 

I immediately thought Velocette LE but that doesn't seem to be the case. The front forks look Ariel. Did they do a scootery type commuting thing? 

What is the BM verdict? 

It is an Ariel Leader, an attempt at an commuter motorcycle for the user to wear the miniumin of motorcycle clothing. They came out in 1958/59 and the engine was a 250cc two stroke twin running on petrol/oil mix. They also could be fitted with panniers that enclosed the rear wheel on both sides. There was also the Ariel Arrow which had all the fairing legshields etc removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Went down to Didcot from Banbury Saturday and saw -

20/30s Bentley looked like a 3 litre shape 

4 mini pick ups  in convoy

Morris Marina

and on the way back

What I think was a Beaufort with a ribbon on so a wedding car

A Bugatti, looked like a 35 but not sure what model it was but it definitely had the badge

Our service manager has a Porsche and went on a mystery run on Saturday Went from Porsche at Moreton in Marsh to Classic Car Center at Bibury

270 of them attended, must have been a sight worth seeing  

• Like 2

I was out walking our dog this morning and saw a Citroen Traction Avant. The driver had his dog in the front passenger seat so they were checking each other out in passing. 

Carl

• Like 3

Hi all

Went to the Cranbrook country fayre and there was a nice selection of cars on display

Riviera lowrider

spacer.png

Mercury Comet

spacer.png

An Amilcar in original condition,  absolutely anazing

spacer.png

spacer.png

BSA

spacer.png

Stunning little Alfa

spacer.png

A wonderful Mango Splitty

spacer.png

An Impala, awesome 

spacer.png

A cracking Ford Galaxie 

spacer.png

Chris

• Like 15

Took the MR2 out yesterday for a bit of a blow and saw:

Standard Vanguard (slope back variety) near Thaxted, 'J' suffix MGB GT, looking very nice, somewhere up near Cambridge and an 'L' suffix Rover 2000TC which I followed back into town, in brown and well finished.

And then, in the evening

52259107012_fa5e7277fe_b.jpg

which, if you look closely, is a bit rusty. Not such a surprise as it was at Heybridge Basin. BTW, that orange thing behind it is a lifeboat which can be visited on arrangement.

• Like 10

On 8/2/2022 at 1:53 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Stunning little Alfa

spacer.png

I do believe this is an Alfaholics GTA, looking at them shiny new parts and Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 tyres. Amazing thing, this restomod Alfa Giulia Coupe is.

• Like 2

Doing more spotting last weekend

IMG-2246.jpgA gorgeous Irish Green 911 Targa 2.4. This car is often found being driven during weekend, salute to the owner for taking it out every weekend.

IMG-2321.jpg

A new 992 GT3 in Shark Blue looking amazing. Recent acquisition of my acquaintance who owns a 2008 GT-R, 2013 C63 Estate and a brand new GR Yaris as well.

IMG-2386.jpg

FD3S RX-7 in Competition Yellow Pearl. Looks astonishing and sounds properly brutal.

• Like 7

Today on my way back from work I saw something rather unusual, at least considering that it was on the German Autobahn A8 between Munich and Stuttgart; a 1970’s Royal Air Force Crash Rescue Land Rover … ?! Though I didn’t managed to snap a photo as he was just about to leave the Autobahn, I’m pretty sure it looked like the one in the link below. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Air_Force_Land_Rover_Ambulance,_Bridgehead_2011_pic2.JPG

EDIT: or maybe more something like in the link here, https://www.alamy.de/royal-air-force-erste-hilfe-ambulanz-4-x-4-landrover-image61024847.html? It had clear markings in yellow saying “CRASH RESCUE” at the rear. 

Didn’t managed to spot the license plates in the hurry, so not sure if it was German or British registered? But exiting it was :) 

Now and then, especially during the summer holidays, you see something rare on the German Autobahn. Like last year where I passed a white Nissan Patrol 4x4 registered on Abu Dhabi plates! For a minute I thought I was back in Dubai driving on Sheikh Zayed Road, on my way to work 😁 

• Like 6

Very interesting. Crossed my path as I was walking into town, but a red Ferrari with a white roof which had stripes down it. Checking Google, it looked very much like a 458 Italia Nicki Lauda!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Very interesting. Crossed my path as I was walking into town, but a red Ferrari with a white roof which had stripes down it. Checking Google, it looked very much like a 458 Italia Nicki Lauda!!!

That Niki Lauda tribute livery is a one-off, if I remember correctly. A full-on Tailor Made car.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I overtook a GT40 on the M6 today

Trevor

Strewth you must have been shifting...!! :rofl2:

Today's spots on the way home from Hampshire after visiting daughter and family - in Alseford a beautiful cream colour with red interior MGB roadster with the shiniest wire wheels I think I've ever seen, shortly after going the other way an immaculate black 1950's Bentley - not really my type of car but it did look stunning. On the M4 all heading the other way - some ugly modern Ferrari, a very bright orange Lambo Huracan and also orange - a Bond Bug! Finally an industrial 0-4-0 loco in Central Electricity Generating Board livery on a lowloader.

Keith

• Like 6