Jump to content

Spot of the day, Part 5


keefr22
 Share

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Seeing the other one on steelies (as originally sold?) is probably more amazing in these days of resto-bling!

Thanks for the comments on

  two really rare and unmodified Escorts . Sat around them was all manner of over done and cringe worthy modern Ford RS models.  The MK1 s sat there and just looked so cool . The RS1600 is nearest camera on the steelies !

 Gary 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few yesterday

2 x 105E Anglias, A Rover 12 convertible, a white Frogeye, an MG TF, a 67 plate red Sunbeam Alpine, and an MB Jeep

Coming home a silver Corniche convertible, top down, driven by an elderly gent in a baseball cap.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I caught up with and AMG E Class on a 62 plate (2012?; still don't understand this numbering system) at some traffic lights.  A couple of miles down the road we both turned off on to one of my favourite B roads.   So I decided to see if I could keep up with it in my company Corolla (purely for Scientific purposes) and the answer was no.  Now most of you will be wondering why I thought I would be able to keep pace with it and the answer to that question was that it was towng a boat at the time!!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Now most of you will be wondering why I thought I would be able to keep pace with it

 

Bet you wouldn't have had a problem in the Caterham....!! 🤣

 

Keith

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw a Cortina TF yesterday- for those of you not in Australia/NZ this is a Mk V with the option of the Australian 3.3 and 4.1 litre Falcon engines.

Nothing remarkable about it except that it's been restored and is still on the road.

Nobody loved them and they rust quite badly so they're a real rarity now.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely,i've got a real soft spot for the Mk IV/V Cortina's....

 

So much nicer car than the hatefull Sierra that replaced it (well a 1600 Sierra was hateful anyway!! )

 

Keith

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just outside Lincoln this morning, a bright yellow TVR. I think it was L reg, so around 1972. Of the Tuscan short tailed type.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

So much nicer car than the hatefull Sierra that replaced it (well a 1600 Sierra was hateful anyway!! )

 

Keith

Interesting, I've never driven a Cortina but I've driven a couple of Sierras (1.8 petrol and some sort of turbodiesel) and thought they were OK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

Interesting, I've never driven a Cortina but I've driven a couple of Sierras (1.8 petrol and some sort of turbodiesel) and thought they were OK.

 

My father in law had a lovely 2.0 litre MkV 'Tina that was really nice to drive. He replaced it with the aforementioned 1.6 Sierra (he worked for Ford so got a new car every 3 years when the MOT came due) We had a 1600 Escort Ghia at the time but with 2 kids the missus thought a bigger car would be handy so 'persuaded' me to buy the Sierra. It was gutless, wandered everywhere in the slightest crosswind, wallowed on its far too soft suspension and if there had been any NVH engineering it must have been done by the YTS trainee in their lunchbreak!! Oh, and the fuel consumption was appalling!

 

Does that show that I really didn't like the thing!! 🤣

 

Keith

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

 

My father in law had a lovely 2.0 litre MkV 'Tina that was really nice to drive. He replaced it with the aforementioned 1.6 Sierra (he worked for Ford so got a new car every 3 years when the MOT came due) We had a 1600 Escort Ghia at the time but with 2 kids the missus thought a bigger car would be handy so 'persuaded' me to buy the Sierra. It was gutless, wandered everywhere in the slightest crosswind, wallowed on its far too soft suspension and if there had been any NVH engineering it must have been done by the YTS trainee in their lunchbreak!! Oh, and the fuel consumption was appalling!

 

Does that show that I really didn't like the thing!! 🤣

 

Keith

I imagine going from a 2.0 Cortina to a 1.6 Sierra would be a bit of a step down and I know the early Sierras had some teething troubles.  The ones I drove were later in the production run, so most of the bugs should have been ironed out.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

52 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I imagine going from a 2.0 Cortina to a 1.6 Sierra would be a bit of a step down and I know the early Sierras had some teething troubles.  The ones I drove were later in the production run, so most of the bugs should have been ironed out.

 

The one we had was a K. reg Azura 'limited edition' so it was a run out model before the introduction of the Mondeo. So I've got my dates muddled up and father in law can't have gone from the 2 litre 'Tina to the Sierra.... Can't remember what he had between the two though.

 

He replaced the Sierra with a 'Mk1' Mondeo and we later had that off him - I really liked that car!

 

K

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

So much nicer car than the hatefull Sierra that replaced it (well a 1600 Sierra was hateful anyway!! )

 

Keith

 

The absolute worst car I've ever driven was a Sierra.   It was a pool car at work, a 1.6 Ghia automatic.   A real gutless wonder.

 

A few local spots the last couple of days:  a D-reg Traveller in dark green, the 1960 Ford stepside that lives nearby and a '90s TVR Griffith.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ran a 2 litre Sierra wagon for a couple of years in the early noughties when things were a bit tight for us, #3 had arrived unordered, then her indoors spent most of a year undergoing breast cancer treatment, my beloved Series IIa SWB Land Rover was sold to pay for that & an $800.00 Sierra replaced it. It turned out to be a surprisingly decent drive for the time we had it. It was replaced with an Isuzu Trooper , still got that 17 years later & her indoors is still going strong. :)

Steve.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got another look inside my neighbors secret garden of exotica. Can you name them?  I didn't know, I had to ask him!

spacer.png

Edited by von Race
typo
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry I have forgotten what years they are. I'm sure some of you know. From left to right;

Smica, Lancia, Osca.        I wonder if any of them have been done in 1/24.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, von Race said:

Got another look inside my neighbors secret garden of exotica. Can you name them?  I didn't know, I had to ask him!

spacer.png

The one in the middle looks like... Lancia Aprilia?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

So much nicer car than the hatefull Sierra that replaced it (well a 1600 Sierra was hateful anyway!! )

 

Keith

I'm with you there,the Sihorra had nothing going for it whatsoever under powered,ugly to look at (can't remember who but someone described it as an upturned bathtub) thankfully Cosworth got it but we were still outdone by Australia because the XR8 had a V8...I was lucky enough to have a couple of Mk IV V6's and they were just lovely if i had a chance to buy one today i would without a second thought...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, von Race said:

I'm sorry I have forgotten what years they are. I'm sure some of you know. From left to right;

Smica, Lancia, Osca.        I wonder if any of them have been done in 1/24.

 

The Simca is completely unfamiliar to me, the Lancia looks like an Appia and the Osca I knew as a Fiat 1500S or 1600S.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lincoln bypass on the way home this evening. A silver Fiat Multipla :sick: Still ugly.

Five minutes later, a real frog eye. A pale blue Sprite, being driven hard too. Sounded good.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Rarity.

Only spotted in passing as it was one its way into a car park, but...

An MR2, Mark2, rev 2 or 3 and in YELLOW!!! (Next best colour to white😉).

Not seen it around town before.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spotted today on my way back to Lincolnshire from Kent.

.

A light blue and white Austin Cambridge (Pre-'63, judging by the plate), a Pageant Blue MG Midget on a trailer, an elderly Rolls-Royce (again pre-'63) which looked very nice indeed and, as a bonus when I drove past Duxford, the Catalina was doing some spirited circuits!

Trevor

 

PS I had a Sierra XR4x4 for many years.  Loads of grunt, very reliable (apart from front discs!), and I covered over 140,000 miles with only breakdown.  The only thing lacking was air conditioning.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a Mini but not as I know it! The badge says “Gordon”. Saw it this afternoon in Heswall. 

 

Gordon Mini

 

It’s a left hooker, full leather interior, shortened at the back and has a tailgate. It’s tiny! A few minutes later it had gathered quite a crowd.

 

Trevor

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Greg B locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...