Spot of the day, Part 5

keefr22

On the school run this afternoon - literally, in the car park at school -  a new 22 plate Ferrari.  I have barely any knowledge of Ferraris newer than about 1990, but a search suggests it was an SF90 Spider (red, of course).

• Like 6

Interesting day- first I saw a R-R Silver Shadow filling up at the next pump. We started filling at the same time. I got 100 litres of diesel and left, the Roller was still there. Not cheap to run!

Then a Daimler DS420 on the road.

Finally a nice Jaguar Mk2 at my auto electrician. I didn't have time to ask about it but the body looked absolutely mint.

Interesting to see an original Silver Shadow. My wife's uncle has a 1977 Silver Shadow II. It's kind of fun but quite sluggish and it feels much heavier than it actually is. Once you get over the fact that it's a Rolls-Royce, the novelty wears off quickly and you start trying to push the throttle through the floor in order to get anywhere.

The ride is very good though, I have to give it that.

According to Wikipedia the II handles better than the first version. Ouch!

• Like 4

On 5/3/2022 at 6:51 PM, keefr22 said:

Sorry Rob, don't know what classic VW you mean? The burnt out one was less than 6 months old and would never have got to classic status....!

This is late, but... when you wrote '71 plate VW', I assumed that you meant it was a 1971 model. I had forgotten about the way that UK registrations are done, and I see now that I was incorrect. It happens. Regularly. <shrug> What gave me the idea for it being an old Bug is the rash of electric crucifixions sorry, conversions that I've seen in my social media feeds recently. Disgusting, but part of the new, I guess. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rob G said:

I was incorrect. It happens. Regularly.

You're not alone there Rob... :)

12 minutes ago, Rob G said:

the rash of electric crucifictions sorry, conversions that I've seen in my social media feeds recently. Disgusting,

Couldn't agree more!

Keith

• Like 1

Well, here's interesting, in a way.

Our U3A group had a trip to Lodges coaches and I was expecting to see things like this

52134693874_7fabff518e_b.jpg

or even this; I used to go to school in one of these, but it was yellow and black, owned by a coal merchant from Blackburn in Scotland

52135020027_5c72d59467_b.jpg

but what I wasn't expecting was this. I don't know which Lotus model it is, but it looks like an old F3, the engine is a Lotus twin cam and it  carries the name of Harold Ertl, who used to race F3 back in the 70's, I think.

52136546195_acd3281204_b.jpg 52133435682_8fa4b7f0f6_b.jpg

And then there was this, parked outside

52134456396_4b176f4bbd_b.jpg

Quite a good day, all in all.

• Like 12

@MR2Don - HarAld Ertl drove F1 in 75-78.  He was one of the drivers who dragged Niki Lauda from the wreck at the Nurburgring in 1976.

Only 33 when killed in a light plane crash.

On a modelling note , his name is the driver on the old 1/20 Group 5 Celica by Tamiya.

• Like 3

Driving past a garage near Lincoln I saw an L reg Maxi up on the ramps. If the rest of it was as tidy as the back then it was a good one.

In Lincoln a little while later, a 1953 Hillman Minx, black convertible at the lights. Must be very rare by now, and it looked pretty original.

I found this picture of one. Not mine, so I'll just do a link.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7sQ6fUht022FiDPe7QCDwf2rcpZxl51zCYg&usqp=CAU

Also in Lincoln, a silver Reliant Robin, towing a small caravan which had fantastic airbrushed pirates of the Caribbean art on it.

• Like 5

Spotted this afternoon, heading north, just as the A1M transitions to A1, a white, E reg, Sunbeam Stiletto (or it could have been the Sunbeam Imp equivalent - the Californian?).  Looked very tidy indeed.

Trevor

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Well, here's interesting, in a way.

Our U3A group had a trip to Lodges coaches and I was expecting to see things like this

52134693874_7fabff518e_b.jpg

or even this; I used to go to school in one of these, but it was yellow and black, owned by a coal merchant from Blackburn in Scotland

52135020027_5c72d59467_b.jpg

but what I wasn't expecting was this. I don't know which Lotus model it is, but it looks like an old F3, the engine is a Lotus twin cam and it  carries the name of Harold Ertl, who used to race F3 back in the 70's, I think.

52136546195_acd3281204_b.jpg 52133435682_8fa4b7f0f6_b.jpg

And then there was this, parked outside

52134456396_4b176f4bbd_b.jpg

Quite a good day, all in all.

It's a Lotus 69, which was an F2/F3 racer.  Don't recall ever seeing them in GLTL colours with a Twin Cam in the back.

Trevor

• Like 1

Love the Gold Leaf Lotus 69! I have a 1:43 kit of one,driven by Fittipaldi in 1971,it’s yellow. I would like to have the real one though….I’m also in the U3A across the river in Gravesend. Chris.

• Like 1

The classic car show season continues , today it was the East Yorkshire Thoroughbred  Classic Car Clubs Vehicle run . Starting at East Park in Hull and following a set route to Bridlington I was luckily enough to be a passenger in a mates car ( Subaru Legacy ) .With people waving as we passed through villages it was a great event with a huge array of cars and commercial vehicles . Here’s just a few of the many 

52141368033_816683a416_c_d.jpg
52141367618_00be9625bd_c_d.jpg
52141584404_c53e7a2713_c_d.jpg
52141367828_56cabb13a3_c_d.jpg
52141834450_a133fa19b2_c_d.jpg
52141584059_50ee073f02_c_d.jpg
52141584339_35e0cdaf80_c_d.jpg

and finally not a real GT40 , but a GTDevelopments replica . Looks the part though . 
52140326377_9c39f343da_c_d.jpg

Probably the best array of restored trucks I’ve seen , obviously that is a thriving area now . 
Thanks for looking 
Gary .

• Like 14

On 6/10/2022 at 7:56 PM, klubman01 said:

It's a Lotus 69, which was an F2/F3 racer.  Don't recall ever seeing them in GLTL colours with a Twin Cam in the back.

Found out a bit more. The other name on it is Albert Clements. Google comes up with loads of them, but one is a dealer in race cars from York and there's a photo on there of Albert in Lotus 69. How it got to Lodge's I've no idea, unless somebody from there has bought it and intends to have it repainted in Lodge's colours😳

• Like 1

Nice. Every Lea Francis driver was issued with a cravat and pipe. Mmm Stylish!

Today West bound on the M62 was a Rover 3.5. The saloon I think, not the Coupe.

Shortly afterwards we overtook an Eastbound white Scirocco. Later in Lincoln I saw another, dark coloured one. They must be breeding!

• Like 4

Went back to Jakarta again last Sunday, since me and my team held a joint car event with a parallel importer in Jakarta. Too many cars to choose from...

IMG-1417.jpg

I guess this launch spec 991.2 GT2 RS is my pick of the bunch.

IMG-1457.jpg

But this V8 Vantage isn't too shabby, not at all.

IMG-1622.jpg

Later in the day we took 'our' M3 Competition to visit this SLS Black, the only one here finished in Fire Opal, and the only one in the world with Fire Opal over cream interior. Still on delivery mileage.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That X-pack RS2 is gorgeous! 

Keith

Honestly Keith it was immaculate.  Proper Ford kit as well  , rollcage and Scheel seats . Was hoping to see the driver for a look under the bonnet,  but never saw him .... 

Gary. 

• Like 1

Went to Salisbury at weekend and saw a few classics on way

MGB and Midget

Beautiful Lotus Elan

Also four old vehilcles which I didn't recognise .just outside Banbury

Three the same from the probably the thirties and one even older followed later by another oldie

The three didn't have a large grille, quite a narrow front with the top not Chrome

Strange looking things

• Like 3

I managed to be in the right place at the right time, going for a walk this morning.

y4mQPPl-Q7XAuSGAstAFAKw6mke81HM_LeIFGOQ0

The early to mid 1960s Ford Galaxies are some of my favourite American saloons, mainly because of the big, 7-litre cars that did so well in saloon racing.  This is a 1963 model and I had enough time to ask the owner, who told me that it's a 289.  It certainly made all the right V8 noises even if it doesn't have the ultimate go of a big-block car.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Lovely Opel Kadett in Hamburg yesterday: I think this is the version that Richard Hammond brought back from Africa.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure "Oliver" was the model before this. That one does look a beauty though.

As for me, I can add to the MG tally with a yellow rubber-bumper MGB in very nice condition and even nicer British Racing Green MGRV8 coming the other way (unfortunately drove far too many miles today to go through all the dashcam footage to find that one)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

I think it could do with some spacers on the back wheels..... 🤣

Cool old barge though! 

Saw the bright yellow 'Vette that lives somewhere local again earlier - that thing is pretty cool and makes all the right noises too!

Keith

• Like 3

13 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I managed to be in the right place at the right time, going for a walk this morning.

The early to mid 1960s Ford Galaxies are some of my favourite American saloons, mainly because of the big, 7-litre cars that did so well in saloon racing.  This is a 1963 model and I had enough time to ask the owner, who told me that it's a 289.  It certainly made all the right V8 noises even if it doesn't have the ultimate go of a big-block car.

That's a '64.  :)

Just returned from a holiday in my old neighbourhood Dubai. Somehow it seems to me that there are even more supercars now than when we left in 2020? Anyhow here are just a few, spotted on an afternoon walk in the Dubai Marina (some of them being rental cars in case you are interested 😎). 

E62yHUK.jpg

PFNhFJA.jpg

emoE78f.jpg

cCf5zM7.jpg

WbWcJ2r.jpg

VTQuDva.jpg

kS1ki9Q.jpg

Cndh0kF.jpg

• Like 3