Spot of the day, Part 5

keefr22

My first car was a Morris 1000 van - in 1997!  Slow, poor brakes (best described as bureaucratic, to the point of being Vogon) and minimal grip, but I loved it!  Rifle bolt gear change, sharp rack & pinion steering, and very well balanced handling made it a hoot to drive.  Replaced in 2002 by a Volvo Amazon, which I still have, but every so often, I have the itch to get another Morris Minor...

• Like 5

On 2/10/2022 at 11:58 AM, johnlambert said:

Spotted in Sainsbury's car park.

y4mOOx-4ZGJTCDrovgilr_ZkijXOxYRXc5oQfhAa

You don't see many Triumph Spitfires and most that you do see are the later ones, this had a "Spitfire 4" badge, which I think means it's a Mk1 model.

Lovely.  Even when I was in the TSSC (scarily that’s 30-odd years ago) these early ones were rare.  Especially if it still had OEM rubber mats, most restoration ended up with carpet then.  I think it was Spitfire 4 to align naming with Vitesse 6 of the same period (1.6 litre version).  Presumably no one was confused until 1970 when the Mk.IV came out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Looked and sounded rather nice.

Personally I think that is their best aspect, I don't like the fronts at all.

Setting out for a walk after tea a couple of nights ago & saw a very smart little Austin A40 ute coming towards me, someones pride & joy though the driver was in period too from a quick look. ;) It was only when it was gone did I remember the phone in my pocket.  :(

Steve.

• Like 4

I never like the oversized wheels and arches, but kudos to whoever chose that plate and was obviously alluding to Paddy’s 64 Monte 33EJB!

• Like 4

Coming the other way as I was coming home from work a white 3 door Range Rover Classic , as they seem to be called now . Looking tall and topply but so cool as well . The occupants seem to be sitting so high inside  !

Gary .

• Like 6

On 2/22/2022 at 8:17 PM, Stef N. said:

I didn’t get to see the front at the time but looking at photos it's not something I would go for if I had the money. 

Strangely, I always found F-Type exceptionally gorgeous. Yes, even the facelifted one. Used to not like the facelifted F-Type but the whole design started to grow on me.

Definitely go for the V8, though. V6 is too compromised (the same block as V8 but with V6 parts bolted on top of the block), and the 4-cylinder is for people who are sad about their life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Driving through our village when I was on a walk an A reg. Ford Granada Ghia  X in  a nice metallic blue . Fully loaded , even had a sunroof air deflector ! Remember them ?  What a car though . 

Gary . 

Very nice, I recall that Ford seemed to throw everything except the kitchen sink at the Granada Ghia X and did some nice metallic colours (there was a light metallic green that I always liked).  If I had the money and somewhere to keep it, I'd love a Ford Granada 2.8i Ghia X or the slightly earlier 2.8 injection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

Very nice, I recall that Ford seemed to throw everything except the kitchen sink at the Granada Ghia X and did some nice metallic colours (there was a light metallic green that I always liked).  If I had the money and somewhere to keep it, I'd love a Ford Granada 2.8i Ghia X or the slightly earlier 2.8 injection.

A big garage for me would be either Granada you mentioned (or both) and a Capri 2.8i plus a MkI Coupe V6 which i had 30+ years ago...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

A big garage for me would be either Granada you mentioned (or both) and a Capri 2.8i plus a MkI Coupe V6 which i had 30+ years ago...

I had a Ford Granada Ghia 3.0 Coupe about 20 years ago, which sadly exceeded my ability to restore it but was lovely when it was working.

• Like 2

Just now, johnlambert said:

I had a Ford Granada Ghia 3.0 Coupe about 20 years ago, which sadly exceeded my ability to restore it but was lovely when it was working.

It was the boot floor that went on mine,just not worth repairing,broke my heart...

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, johnlambert said:

When I was growing up the boss of a local building company had a 2 tone black and grey Granada 2.8 Ghia X . It must have been some kind of limited edition . He and his wife only ever appeared on a Sunday in it . Always wondered where it ended up . The company had a fleet of Transit vans and his sons ran an XR4i and a Cortina Ghia . Obviously getting a good deal from the local Ford dealers ! 
 Gary . 

• Like 5

Three reasonably different spots today, and not a decent shot of any of them on the dashcam :(

First up, what looked to be a very nice condition 1980 orange-brown (rust coloured for want of a better word) Alfasud. As it was out in the rain I'm not sure that it will take long for that 'rust-coloured' to become just rust. Second up was an '80s BMW 5-series, it was on an 'island' plate so not sure what year. And finally what I'm pretty certain is a Hillman Hunter in a front garden in Hendon. I didn't get a good pic on the dashcam as it was too far to the side, but it is sitting there in Google Earth.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spiny said:

First up, what looked to be a very nice condition 1980 orange-brown (rust coloured for want of a better word) Alfasud.

Not many of these left in captivity anywhere in the world I reckon, I certainly haven't seen one around here for years, they seemed to dissolve with amazing rapidity. Possibly your one was an import from a dry climate?

The other day in the supermarket car park a 2021 Porsche 911 Carrera 992 drop top. a pretty rare beast around here, the spoils of neoliberal economics no doubt. ;) :D 

IMG20220225140744

& driving to work the other night, one of our local AC 427 alikes sounding very good in a V8 throbby sort of way, I know 'cause I dropped my window when I saw it coming just so I could listen. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Spiny said:

in a front garden

That reminds me from last week - can't remember where the front garden was (old age!), but it contained a very sad looking rust and white Mk2 Fiesta XR2. Had one of those new and it was one of my favourite cars. Would love another, but like all old Fords they're now fetching silly money...

Keith

• Like 3

Just outside Kings Lynn early this morning, Something very large and American. I'm really not sure of the make.

A two door hardtop in desert tan, possibly early seventies, it was from the Lego (square) design shop. Not a curve in sight.

Later, on the A47 heading towards Norwich, a mid 50's white Ford Prefect/Popular complete with external sun visor. 

And as I was heading back to Lincoln down the A17 I ended up behind an F reg Morris 1000.

In tatty black, it had large red flowers (stickers?) on it. Possibly poppies but they had white centres. 

It was doing a very respectable 60 mph and later turned off towards Sleaford.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And as I was heading back to Lincoln down the A17 I ended up behind an F reg Morris 1000.

In tatty black, it had large red flowers (stickers?) on it. Possibly poppies but they had white centres. 

It was doing a very respectable 60 mph and later turned off towards Sleaford.

I know that one.  It is often parked in Sleaford near the Grammar School.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1