Spot of the day, Part 5

keefr22

This morning a quick trip along the A25 yielded an F-prefix Vauxhall Astra 5-door in white, and an immaculate J-suffix Morris Traveller in dark blue with very fresh looking woodwork.

Also, not something I think I've ever seen before, being loaded at the local funeral directors a (modern) hearse in silver. One of the horsedrawn hearses is white, but otherwise black would be more expected I would have thought. Unless it is available as a specific request I suppose.

Matt

• Like 4

The hearses up here are all basic black, but I saw a few in other colours - notably white, but several silver as well - when I was still living in Sydney. Hardly surprising, considering that there's a mob of undertakers down there called "White Lady Funerals".

• Like 2

Contrasts on the A217 this morning, a dreadful looking early VW Transporter camper, lowered and ratted and most noteworthy for having a huge mattress strapped to the roof.

Luckily order was restored within minutes by an immaculate dark red XJS convertible (hood up though) on an L- prefix.

Also a first-gen Disco in an odd mid -green,  they are not so common now.

Edit And just saw this coming on the A23 in time to get a pic

52380800261_6b642ca185_b.jpg1963consulcapri by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Edit Its a Consul Classic not a Capri, see the post from @stevehnz further down the page. Thanks for pointing that out, swotting up done!

Matt

• Like 12

Been in Whitby today and spied one of these (internet pic)

p?i=96506f3619fc84c7f3730eee79e03c54

Then managed to follow it over the moors and down part of York Road before it turned off. Seemed to be in good nick, except it looked like it had a bit of a lean on the suspension to the drivers side 🤔

Regards,

Steve

• Like 10

4 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Been in Whitby today and spied one of these (internet pic)

p?i=96506f3619fc84c7f3730eee79e03c54

Then managed to follow it over the moors and down part of York Road before it turned off. Seemed to be in good nick, except it looked like it had a bit of a lean on the suspension to the drivers side 🤔

Regards,

Steve

Ok, someone will prove me wrong I suspect but I've yet to see a car that wasn't improved  in looks by a set of Minilites. This one certainly was. :)

Steve.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Farmer matt said:

Edit And just saw this coming on the A23 in time to get a pic

1963consulcapri by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Matt

What a spot! Looks like a 1958 Thunderbird that got shrunk in the wash, with the roofline of a '58 Lincoln.

I'm not a huge Ford fan but I do like the way Ford in the UK used the rear-raked rear window (or pillars- I think the Consul Classic has vertical rear glass...?), especially on the Anglia.

OK, OK, I'm going now... no need to throw things...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I wasn't planning on doing carspotting today, but since I got better after a week of pain, I decided to go out. I am not disappointed.

IMG-4470.jpg

A brand-new Porsche 718 Spyder. Turns out Crayon is a really good colour

IMG-4503.jpg

A 2010 Ferrari California. Some still think it's not a proper Ferrari, but it has grown on me more now.

IMG-4533.jpg

A modded AE86 Toyota Corolla Sprinter Trueno with fender flares and a 3S-GTE underneath. Has just returned after a major repair. Its final gear and diff went kaboom a few weeks ago.

IMG-4636.jpg

The usual 992 GT3. Happy to see one regularly used every weekend rather than living in a closed garage.

IMG-4857.jpg

Did an impromptu photoshoot with this Aventador too. My eyes are in pain from the Shell V-Power fumes.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

If it's not it's a really good homage! :)

Love that Saab too!

Keith

I'm sure a Porsche expert would decide if it was a genuine 2.7 RS  but , rally cars aside , it must have been the most valuable car in Filey on Saturday  !  A gorgeous car . 

Gary . 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 10:57 PM, Zephyr said:

What a spot! Looks like a 1958 Thunderbird that got shrunk in the wash, with the roofline of a '58 Lincoln.

I'm not a huge Ford fan but I do like the way Ford in the UK used the rear-raked rear window (or pillars- I think the Consul Classic has vertical rear glass...?), especially on the Anglia.

OK, OK, I'm going now... no need to throw things...

Its OK, no incoming, but this post did make me think about @Farmer matt's post above & the lovely looking classic is just that, a Consul Classic. We knew them out here as the Consul 315, the closest I got to one were some 315 struts in my Anglia van. <_< The Consul Classic came in 4 & 2 door, as illustrated in Matt's photo, the Consul Capri was a 2 door coupe, very little head room in the back seat. Those in need of a refresher course can bone up on them here

Steve.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

New toy in Warsaw 

p?i=29984e063cc312f66b32f189a630af7f

Looks like a PTS Brewster Green. GT3 Touring I presume, looking from the painted bumper and no apparent wing. The Night Blue Carrera GT next to it isn't too shabby either...

Before ducking for cover, my 911 awareness doesnt get much beyond very nice, lots of specials, blowed if I know.

However, curiousity led me to look up the reg of that '1973 Carrera RS' and sadly it seems to be a 1987 3.2 litre. But it sure looks the part.

Matt

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't have a photo host at present so got lucky with the web. I would say that was taken at a steam rally fairly locally. It also has a DAS sticker (Duxford Aviation Society) and a Radio Caroline sticker. Cant be all bad even if he is an AUDI driver. 😆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farmer matt said:

Before ducking for cover, my 911 awareness doesnt get much beyond very nice, lots of specials, blowed if I know.

However, curiousity led me to look up the reg of that '1973 Carrera RS' and sadly it seems to be a 1987 3.2 litre. But it sure looks the part.

Matt

Thanks for looking that up . It certainly looks right , but sadly my joy at seeing “ a genuine Carrera RS in a Filey car park “ is now blown to pieces !!!

Gary . 

• Like 3

I was working as a volunteer guide at the British Motor Museum on Saturday.  Sunday was the 60th anniversary celebration for the MGB and a few cars were arriving and getting parked up on the Saturday.

y4m3E4HF6ML5EC_1AP7owhzxZnRQFYGVDYFNvllz

This was probably the most interesting, as it was something I'd never seen or heard of before.  It is a MGB Berlinette Jaques Coune, a coupé produced in small numbers in Belgium that pre-dated the MGB GT.  It is thought that 56 cars were made and 12 remain, having seen photos from Sunday there were three parked together!

y4mAN6oVi3bkjZAD08FX3qyqZqIrssrebTl2Z4-d

The rear shows a strong Italian influence, Coune was also an agent for Abarth exhausts (and the converted MGBs had these) but the styling certainly looks a bit like some of Abarths coupes.  I don't think the shape is as pleasing as BMC's MGB GT, but it is certainly different.

y4maCHnW_U2bso04pUgAjTwqIj4H7DBQgynSbOEv

I am a sucker for the red and white livery of the works MGB racing cars, so I couldn't ignore this competition-prepared B.  Possible inspiration for one of the Aoshima MG kits I have in the stash.

• Like 8