Spot of the day, Part 5

keefr22

Earlier this evening, a two tone green Armstrong-Siddeley Star Sapphire, A-S's final model before Hawker-Siddeley decided to concentrate solely on aircraft & aero engines.

• Like 3

Interesting one. A small red sports car that I did not recognise drove past me near Bradwell power Station today. A bit later on, I stopped at the Cricketers Pub for lunch and spotted what I thought was a very dusty and dirty front end of a Porsche 911. It wasn't... it was what I'd seen earlier and it was one of these.

52044171117_af22f4b203_b.jpg 52045725320_ab6a1d27c0_b.jpg

a GTM, in dire need of a bit of T-Cut!!! And, before anybody says "How could you mistake that for a 911", if all you can see of it past the van parked next to it, is the side on view of headlights towards front end - I think they're quite similar.

Also slightly further along towards St. Peter's Chapel, I spotted these in a field.

IMG_3459

Four 2CVs and there was another one off to one side.

And finally, this

52041554767_1dab98de60_b.jpg

A Honda Del Sol that lives next door to my youngest son and just never seems to be moved, although it got MoT'd last July. It must have been quite a feat to get it into that position. The cable running underneath it is charging their SUV and it's photo is taken across the bonnet of my MR2.

• Like 8

A few unusual machines out on the road today, I guess with it being a dry bank holiday. The one I didn't get on dashcam, and possibly the most interesting, was the pre-war convertible which let me out of a side junction - unfortunately I had neither a good enough view nor the knowledge to identify it further. I guess it was a good day for cabriolets, because I also saw these two while out and about (edge of dashcam screen shots, so apologies for the poor quality):

52044698807_2a6ab8d789_o.png

I have seen the 3-wheeled wooden 2CV at a car show before (and posted it here), but this is the first time I've seen it on the roads. The Mini I don't know if that's an original or more recent custom, but it's either on a personalised plate or a special as it predates the official Mini convertibles.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, MR2Don said:

is the side on view of headlights towards front end - I think they're quite similar.

I can see that - and the bumper looks a bit 964-ish too - wonder if Porsche copied it?! 🤣

• Haha 1

Interesting one. A small red sports car that I did not recognise drove past me near Bradwell power Station today. A bit later on, I stopped at the Cricketers Pub for lunch and spotted what I thought was a very dusty and dirty front end of a Porsche 911. It wasn't... it was what I'd seen earlier and it was one of these.

52044171117_af22f4b203_b.jpg 52045725320_ab6a1d27c0_b.jpg

a GTM, in dire need of a bit of T-Cut!!!

Yup, specifically a GTM Rossa K3, a popular kitcar from the 1980s IIRC.  Nice to see one still around!

• Like 1

The cable running underneath it is charging their SUV

71 plate VW electric thing parked on the road next door to my son in laws parent's house spontaneously combusted on Saturday, 10 minutes after the owner parked it up!  The fire brigade were there for nearly 4 hours trying to put the thing out but it just kept re-igniting! Apparently they eventually got a low loader, dragged it on and were going to 'dump it in a field somewhere and let it burn itself out'! Son in law has a video of it burning and it's rather impressive! As the guy said, he was glad he hadn't parked it on the drive to recharge it as it could easily have burnt his house down!

I never wanted one of the things and certainly don't now - I hope supplies of petrol outlive me!

Keith

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

71 plate VW electric thing parked on the road next door to my son in laws parent's house spontaneously combusted on Saturday, 10 minutes after the owner parked it up!  The fire brigade were there for nearly 4 hours trying to put the thing out but it just kept re-igniting! Apparently they eventually got a low loader, dragged it on and were going to 'dump it in a field somewhere and let it burn itself out'! Son in law has a video of it burning and it's rather impressive! As the guy said, he was glad he hadn't parked it on the drive to recharge it as it could easily have burnt his house down!

I never wanted one of the things and certainly don't now - I hope supplies of petrol outlive me!

Keith

(Sing it with me!) Ain't no fire like a lithium fire coz a lithium fire don't stop... 

And the greenies say that electric's the answer to all our problems. Numpties. 

Shame about the classic VW, but it's probably happier now that it no longer belongs to a woke fool. 

Rob.

#98 octane till I die! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

Ain't no fire like a lithium fire coz a lithium fire don't stop... 

Indeed, did some reading up on the things afterwards and didn't realise how bad they are. Allegedly some 'scientific' advice to the Fire Service to put them out is to drop them in a swimming pool !! 

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

Shame about the classic VW, but it's probably happier now that it no longer belongs to a woke fool. 

Sorry Rob, don't know what classic VW you mean? The burnt out one was less than 6 months old and would never have got to classic status....!!

At least there's less of the things now;

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-loses-almost-4000-cars-as-the-felicity-ace-cargo-ship-sinks-in-rough-seas-182877.html

VW are of course denying it was an elactric thing that started it, but there's no smoke without fire..... (sorry :coat: on & gone!  🤣)

Keith

• Like 2

Had a wedding to go to this last weekend in a coastal Village to the north of Auckland. Climbed into a rental Nissan X-trail at the airport & headed out, lots of exotica along the way, but two that stood out were a lime green Lambo Huracan & a bright pink Maserati Ghibli (I think) both about 2015 models. On the morning of the wedding visited some of my Sis-law's husband's friends, parked in their drive were a 2017 Holden HSV Clubsport & 2021 Porsche Taycan turbo. Neither my sort of ride but much in keeping with the seaside settlement we were visiting, multimillion dollars houses, not where we were staying though. :phew: Coming back, a parking area in a village we stopped in for morning tea, had a Porsche Cayan & Maserati Levante. It was good to get back on the plane & head for reality, which very likely includes a dose of bat pox after seeing the attitudes towards others welfare in some that we were mingling with. :(

Steve.

• Like 3

A couple of spots whilst out at work recently. 

Firstly from the running tests on the traction engines I recently examined, not a bad sight to be greeted with on a Monday morning 😁

p?i=8b3cac1c55eacad2c20942c07b865f1d

And at the other end of the scale I've also recently had the pleasure of visiting Lotus at Hethel, unfortunately (but understandably)  you can't take any photos whilst inside the production facility.  However when I parked up outside one of the test mules for the new Emira pulled up in front of me.

p?i=c29b0db303e263e4f947cd867561dc13

Finally Caterham had their open day last Saturday,   I won't bore you with a hundred photographs of different examples (and believe me I could 😁).  But the highlights for me was the Highly modified example used on the Grand Tour by James May, a Lotus 7 mark 1 and a Mark 2 (complete with a 1500 Cosworth engine as per the Tamiya model); both absolutely stunning.   But the absolute highlight was seeing my car on display in such esteemed company. 

p?i=945032c6a26ea04e90d846680e73c084

• Like 11

Today on the A350 near Chippenham, A Marcos V8 of some kind. No pictures as I was driving at the time.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 2

More today. Again Westbound on the A17 this morning, A metallic green chopped top Ford Pop (I think I saw a modded Beetle too)

Minutes later there was a mid sixties Chevy Pick up, the Fleetside I think.

Later in the morning, near Bourne a Citroen BX, when was the last time you saw one? Must be years since I did.

Yet, less than an hour later, In Peterborough, another one! Brit plates but LHD. I had a nice chat with the owner. He saved it from the crusher!

• Like 2

Dunno if this counts as a 'spot' since this is owned by my acquaintance, but a 992-gen Porsche 911 Targa 4S last weekend. Saw his car parked in front of his favourite chocolate shop in my hometown so I just got to drop by and had a lengthy chat with him.

IMG-0375.jpg

Unpopular opinion: I prefer 911 Targa over Cabrio. Simply by the virtue of it being more unique in terms of styling.

• Like 5

Interesting pair at Chelmsford Museum car park.

Now, which of these do you think is the more elegant?

Don't complain about the MR2 parking, it's murder trying to see out the back of one of those and I was determined not to clip the Porsche as the driver was still in it.

Diesel as well, it was. A diesel Porsche! Whatever next!

52056592456_d956435c6d_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Coming from Derby this afternoon I saw a white MBB GT on the outskirts of Nottingham and, closer to home on the A17 heading west near Coddington, a very nice Ford Anglia Super in green and cream.  Looked like it had been lowered a bit, and it had wider than normal wheels, but was otherwise standard (from the outside, anyway!).

Trevor

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MR2Don said:

Don't complain about the MR2 parking, it's murder trying to see out the back of one of those and I was determined not to clip the Porsche

Hope you didn't back into the tree while avoiding the Porky Porker...!! :)

More elegant? Definitely yours! 👍

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Now, which of these do you think is the more elegant?

The white one of course 😉

2 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Diesel as well, it was. A diesel Porsche! Whatever next!

Electric! Oh no, that‘s already been done …. (and it‘s faaaaassst 🏎️

If I had both in my garage, then for weekend drives in the sunshine I would choose the MR2 and for my daily drive on the German Autobahn I would take the Porsche :) 

• Like 2

It was „great Porsche spotting day“ today on my long walk in the sunshine. 

But first one for @JeroenS I think :) 

DfEANuT.jpg

Then one for me 😎

oCh7WGU.jpg

Wouldn‘t exactly mind one of these either

QuQ25rm.jpg

CS9OqBk.jpg

And finally one which even if I start saving now and work until I‘m 190 years old will likely never be able to afford 🤣 (911 Carrera 4 GTS)

aJ4wkls.jpg

Other than that I spotted an open Saab 900 Turbo with the top down (if that makes your heart beats faster, personally I’m not a Saab fan but I understand some see this as a future classic), a couple of classic Mercedes SL (one being the „Pamela Ewing“ model, the other being the model replacing it) and also an open green metallic Honda CRX which was pretty sweet. 

• Like 5

As most Saturdays, I saw the F-reg Civic, K-reg Volvo 240 Torslanda and Sierra Sapphire Cosworth which live around here.

But one thing I definitely did not expect to see parked in the DFS car park on a drizzly Saturday morning was a 100 year old Rolls Royce Silver Ghost.

52057539780_1913971997_b.jpg

Full credit to them for using it though, definitely my best spot for a while.

• Like 10