Spot of the day, Part 5

keefr22

There's a classic car garage just outside Southwell. I'd passed a Minor 1000 convertible on the way to the town yesterday, and saw a red convertible

parked on the garage forecourt along with a Traveller. Both in mint condition.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

what's that blue thing sitting behind it?????🤫

Had to go down and check, was pretty sure it was a Subaru and can now confirm that it is a BRZ

9xvrPTb.jpg

There are also a couple of nice motorcycles down in our underground parking if that would have any interest (including my own Ducati Scrambler visible behind the Subaru)

pNiGdBw.jpg

06HWpsN.jpg

chrIpx3.jpg

37 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Ahem...why has your cinquicento got wide wheels

Shhh…. not so loud please, the TÜV (MOT) might be listening in

Anyway, the wide wheels are due to the fact that the cinquecento was modified into a Giannini 590 GT replica some years back. The wheels are original Borrani wheels from 1972 (the car is a from 69) and I got the missing wheel cap for the rear wheel as well. It‘s in a bit of neglected condition right now but I‘m working on a new „rally Monte Carlo“ look for her at the moment and she will soon be back to her old glory again. 

Here is how she looked in her Giannini disguise. 

nw8KZFT.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

One of the neighbor's Renault 4, a nice little car if you ask me. There is usually a classic Vespa parked in front of it, maybe he was out enjoying the sun today … 

qNIgMtM.jpg

Speaking of little, my own cinquecento looking a bit sad not being on the road yet …

IRFkWQQ.jpg

Both look lovely, especially your cinquecento.  The wider wheels look great.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Anyway, the wide wheels are due to the fact that the cinquecento was modified into a Giannini 590 GT replica some years back. The wheels are original Borrani wheels from 1972 (the car is a from 69) and I got the missing wheel cap for the rear wheel as well. It‘s in a bit of neglected condition right now but I‘m working on a new „rally Monte Carlo“ look for her at the moment and she will soon be back to her old glory again. 

Oh, Yes, go for it!!!😉

That subi looks almost as good as mine.🤫😳🥴

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Anyway, the wide wheels are due to the fact that the cinquecento was modified into a Giannini 590 GT replica some years back. The wheels are original Borrani wheels

Now I'm impressed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A super Easter Monday here today & quite a few odd spots about. I was inveigled into going for a picnic lunch to a bay north of here, a pretty spot & popular on a day like today, so parking was at a premium, & therein lies a story too, but first things first. On our way & cruising along a bypass road just inviting to be overtaken & ogled was a 1955 Studebaker, the Studebaker nationals were on here over the weekend but I was sleeping after nights when they had their show & shine day. This one would standout in any company, hot rodded & lowered, maybe not to everyone's taste but sure distinctive. Arriving at our bay, my chosen parking spot was vetoed by Mrs Hnz, at which point I evacuated the drivers seat & walked off. 😠 While waiting for her to find a spot, I was interested to see a young couple with kids in a mid 80s VW transporter, double cab truck with a tilt on it, LHD too. I wanted to ask where they had come from with it but traffic didn't lend itself to that & they were leaving anyway. While there a very smart 1975 Alfa Romeo Spider in pale yellow pulled in, it was a good day for a top down outing. On the way home after a pleasant outing in the end. :shrug: :D I saw a Porsche 928, also pretty rare in these parts.

Steve.

• Like 7

Plenty of people enjoying their classic cars today.  There was an Alfa Romeo 105 series GT Junior that looked like it had some upgrades (roll cage, no bumpers, GTA-style wheels and lowered suspension).  There was a 1957 or '58 Chevrolet Corvette that looked original and very smart in white with red side scallops.  Finally there was a very shiny green Jaguar D-type replica (I think it has to be a replica as an original wouldn't be that shiny).

• Like 6

As I have mentioned I inspect pressure systems for a living so last week I had the pleasure of inspecting these (just a shame I don't get to inspect this type of stuff everyday).  So not technically spots, but I thought some of you may still be interested. 

First up a Sentinel Steam Bus

p?i=54ee7a2ef07a97f0f26a3fe74a5d316e

It would be nice and cosy in the Winter as the driver sits right next to the boiler.

p?i=46ab31a0a0cfa62aac622a1e53a960fd

Slightly more glamorous for the passengers 

p?i=d8adea21422152fe5d5cb841ff8d7863

Next up a Foden Steam Lorry

p?i=ed611580e63ee129a2ac54f82218f05e

And finally a Showmans Tracton Engine 

p?i=532075e3f471dce632e335b9fba01e1f

And the really bad news I got to go back next week and do some more 😃 - Andy 

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Toftdale said:

As I have mentioned I inspect pressure systems for a living so last week I had the pleasure of inspecting these (just a shame I don't get to inspect this type of stuff everyday).  So not technically spots, but I thought some of you may still be interested. 

Definitely, I like the idea of these road going steamers, not a thing we get out here other than traction engine types, the Sentinel & the Foden would be cool to see in action. Steam seems to have hung on in the UK for quite a long time compared to other areas.

Steve.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Toftdale said:

And the really bad news I got to go back next week and do some more

It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it...!! :)

They are all wonderful vehicles, and I don't think I've ever actually seen a steam bus before. 

Do you do railway loco boilers too? 

Thanks for sharing the pics Andy.

Keith

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Do you do railway loco boilers too? 

Unfortunately not but I'd love too.  I'm desperately waiting for a couple of the older guys to retire, however we only require a very limited number of engineers to be qualified to inspect Locos and there are quite a few engineer's names on the list before me ☹.  I was incredibly lucky that because I live in Norfolk I bypassed the waiting list for Tracton Engines as I have more than most in my area. - Andy 

• Like 4

Saw a lovely series 1 E-type roadster this morning.   Red, brown top, not over shiny so possibly unrestored.  It was on a pre-'64 age related plate, which I meant to look up when I got home, but forgot the exact number.  🙃

• Like 4

Yes, I saw a red Volvo 740 estate last week somewhere. In lovely condition too.

Today, at a garden centre on the A17 near Spalding, a very nice green Hillman Imp in the car park.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Talking of Volvos, I saw a dark green Amazon Estate in town at lunchtime.

Trevor

Sadly the green ones are usually cursed with a particularly foul coloured light brown / tan interior - most accurately described as resembling baby's nappy contents...

I finally drove mine (blue, with red interior) for the first time in a long time yesterday.  Only from the front garden round to the side of the house though, but once it had a charged battery and fresh fuel (along with the float chamber needle valves on the twin SUs prodded with a screw driver to free them off where the old fuel had gummed them up - a 5 minute job), it fired up quite happily.  Fortunately the brakes are still working too, which isn't bad as it hasn't been on the road for nearly six years.  It was my everyday car from 2002 until 2016 (& I drove it about 85K miles in that time), but is now a long term project whilst I sort out somewhere to work on it.

• Like 5