Spot of the day, Part 5

keefr22

A little while ago whilst driving home from the shops, I saw a tiny short car waiting patiently at a stop sign to move into traffic. I was almost level with it when I realised it was a DeLorean DMC-12. They're not so easy for me to spot without the associated time-machine gubbins. Here's a photo found on the web:

1981-DeLorean-DMC-12-drivers-side-768x57

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

No photo but I thought it was unique enough to mention, whilst carrying out some very mundane inspections on a nondescript factory unit in Norfolk today there was a absolutely immaculate Pagoda Mercedes raised up on a two post lift, but stored under the Merc was an even more stunning XK120.  Once I had finished dribbling over them the owner very causally mentioned that the Jag use to belong to Clark Gable!, which would make this car below.  Unfortunately the owner did want to take any photos,  but I can't blame him - still made my day.

p?i=db43b8548099e805facffd29c00087d2

Nice, an alloy-bodied XK120, if I'm not mistaken (you can tell because of the thicker rubber pads under the windscreen).   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

No photo but I thought it was unique enough to mention, whilst carrying out some very mundane inspections on a nondescript factory unit in Norfolk today there was a absolutely immaculate Pagoda Mercedes raised up on a two post lift, but stored under the Merc was an even more stunning XK120.  Once I had finished dribbling over them the owner very causally mentioned that the Jag use to belong to Clark Gable!, which would make this car below.  Unfortunately the owner did want to take any photos,  but I can't blame him - still made my day.

p?i=db43b8548099e805facffd29c00087d2

It's a lovely shape. I have a nice resin bodied one in 1/12th scale.

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

• Like 6

Now, years ago, I had a friend who lived in Kirkcaldy and was owner an old Rover P4, you know the one with the single spotlight in the middle. It also had a sliding roof panel and he owned a pilot's pair of goggles. you can imagine the rest! but, it's a shame that Smart car hasn't got one as that would seal the deal on that one.

BTW, OU was the code of a New Zealand squadron - does he know???

Just found this

ML407 flew a total of 176 operational combat sorties amassing an impressive total 319 combat hours. ML407 was delivered to 485 New Zealand Squadron on the 29th April 1944 by Jackie Moggridge, one of the top lady pilots of the Air Transport Auxilllary (ATA), where it became the ‘mount’ of Flying Officer Johnnie Houlton DFC who was accredited, whilst flying ML407, with the first enemy aircraft shot down over the Normandy beachhead on 6th June D-Day.

Interesting!!!

Edited by MR2Don
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, MR2Don said:

ML407 flew a total of 176 operational combat sorties amassing an impressive total 319 combat hours. ML407 was delivered to 485 New Zealand Squadron on the 29th April 1944 by Jackie Moggridge, one of the top lady pilots of the Air Transport Auxilllary (ATA), where it became the ‘mount’ of Flying Officer Johnnie Houlton DFC who was accredited, whilst flying ML407, with the first enemy aircraft shot down over the Normandy beachhead on 6th June D-Day.

Interesting!!!

It is also the Grace two seat Spitfire, converted after the war it spent time with the Irish Ar Corps if memory serves on this.

Steve.

• Like 1

I think it's more a case of how fat and lardy cars have become (a bit like most of the drivers!). I was thinking the same thing a couple of weeks ago when I parked next to a Mk3 Golf - my Fiesta was almost exactly the same length and taller to boot.

• Like 3

On 12/1/2021 at 3:25 PM, klubman01 said:

Spotted in Sleaford this afternoon - a Spitfire themed Smart car.

Trevor

Where was this parked then Trevor ?  As a fellow inmate of Sleaford Open Prison I don't recognise the street...

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Where was this parked then Trevor ?  As a fellow inmate of Sleaford Open Prison I don't recognise the street...

Near Sainsbury's loading/deliveries bay.

Trevor

• Like 1

Okay now I am bending bit of rules, I think. I got some old family photos and this was among those. I remember this car in sitting in a shed and it was really bad shape. Car is still existing in Finland, but no progress in restoration.  One way I would like to restore it and get it to Mille Miglia...

jo4TTwl.jpg

Edited by Vesa Jussila
  • Like 10

Well I'm glad I got a photo of this, because how many of you would have believed me from just a description?  😅 

p?i=fa6d9f653e631984ed6e4211ce2ba2f9

I was working this morning in the back streets of Great Yarmouth when I spotted it,  well in fairness it was quite hard to miss.  According to the MOT checking site its pure and simply registered as a Clown Car - Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I wish I'd had a bit more time to take photos when I was wandering down Park Lane in London on Saturday.  There was a Bugatti Veyron on Middle Eastern number plates, parked on double yellow lines and a UK registered Lamborghini of some sort, on a different set of double yellows.

But the best part, for me, was the BMW showroom, which contained a 1930s 328, a 3.0 CSL, a M635CSi and a Z8.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Well I'm glad I got a photo of this, because how many of you would have believed me from just a description?  😅 

p?i=fa6d9f653e631984ed6e4211ce2ba2f9

I was working this morning in the back streets of Great Yarmouth when I spotted it,  well in fairness it was quite hard to miss.  According to the MOT checking site its pure and simply registered as a Clown Car - Andy

Actually belongs in Canberra ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Near Boston today, a late model Camaro or Firebird (see link below for body style) in Swineshead village.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/2nd-Chevrolet-Camaro.jpg/1024px-2nd-Chevrolet-Camaro.jpg

Later Eastbound on the A-17 an Allegro Vanden Plas in lovely dark brown!

Near the Bicker/Boston roundabout, an Audi A4 soft top 50 yards into the middle of a ploughed field with the RH front wheel ripped off. That was shifting then!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Alpine or Tiger

Judging by the rear fins, it's a Series IV, so could, just, be a Tiger. Photo not good enough to check for twin tailpipes, which would make it a Tiger. Minilites mean nothing, seen them on all series. You didn't by any chance hear it growling a bit?

Edited by MR2Don
  • Like 2