1/72 F-14D Grim Reapers

Thom216

A little update on the Reaper.

I had been thinking of ordering a new set of seats, seeing as the ones in the kit are for the A-variant. They do have some parts for the later style seats but not the seat frames, just the cushions and the top piece with the cross hatch. 

But there's a time crunch for the post and money better spent - and I have a Revel FA-18F in the stash with (supposedly) the correct seats. Huzzah! So I raided it and found some passable looking seats.

spacer.png

They still looked a little off though, so I decided to bash them with the D-seat parts in the Academy kit. So with those parts, some misc plastic and a dash of glue I got these guys.

spacer.png

The headrest parts are also from the Academy sprues which where, again, just missing the seat frames otherwise I could have used those, but everything else is from the Revell kit.

And with both test-fitted into place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Modelling on!

Thom

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...

Was working on an F-4J for the Phantom GB, but I won't get that finished in time. At the paint stage, so I'll jump back on this one and get it to the same point and paint them together. Updates to come!

Modelling on!

Thom

• Like 3

I know it's been a while since I've done any work on this. I think I've settled on the colors I'll use for it. Since I'm using the Revell scheme, I'm using their color call-outs, which is just saying light grey or grey matt and is of little use considering all the varied colors those simple words imply. So, starting by using the paints used by @theplasticsurgeon on his build, I color-matched Humbrol to Tamiya and found I had two of the colors on hand. A third is in the mail, but I think I have a substitute that could work just as well.

So for the nose, I'll be using TAM XF-83, Medium Sea Gray. For the top and back, TAM XF-53, Neutral Gray. (Or TAM XF-66, Light Gray when it shows up and if it looks better.) And for the bottom, AK Interactive RC253, Light Gray.

And now I'll have to find some time to work on it!😆

ModellingThomFoolery!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Question. I'm using AK Interactive paints on some of this. I'm using their brand of acrylic thinner 'New Formula' AK712, but it doesn't seem to be working as well as Tamiya thinner works with Tamiya paints. It seems to stick a little more and make it a little tougher to clean out of the 'brush...

Alright a little update. I'm pretty sure this will not be done by End of GB. There was that detour into the Phantom GB and between work and X-mas shopping - and a general slowdown of my building mojo - this is lagging. It will continue however! As to that...

I finished painting the intake trunking, white and light gray. And then a test fit of it all together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just need to dirty those up a bit and then glue them in place!

ModellingThomFoolery!

• Like 7

Got time for some work and another update between Xmas shopping with The Mother! I'd say the intakes are all set and done.

After painting them I hit them with dark dirt ProModeller Wash. Just applied with a Q-tip and wiped towards the rear - as one does...😁

spacer.png

A little heavy, but the beauty of the wash is that it is water activated.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I cleaned those up a bit.

Then fitted the trunking into place. One thing I should have done, as with the beaver tail, was put in some tabs, as the rear of the trunking is also a butt-join. And I made a 'duh-me' error by putting my finger right over the outside of the join as I was putting TET in on the inside. Yep, seeped right through and spread out around my dang finger! Just a gripe thankfully as a little light sanding cleaned it right up. Then the engine faces were put in.

spacer.png

And I spent a little time applying TET around the joins and even spreading the trunking out a bit to meet the fuselage parts at the sides.

And then squeezed them in a bit... I like this kit, but it is oddly lacking in some locating tabs.

spacer.png

When that dried, after I got home from five hours of driving and shopping, with a little lunch dropped in, I put the roofs in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

No bad.

ModellingThomFoolery.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Got time for some work and another update between Xmas shopping with The Mother! I'd say the intakes are all set and done.

After painting them I hit them with dark dirt ProModeller Wash. Just applied with a Q-tip and wiped towards the rear - as one does...😁

spacer.png

A little heavy, but the beauty of the wash is that it is water activated.

spacer.png

Wiping to the rear - that’s exactly the kind or pro tips I’m here for! 🤣

• Haha 2

So, the nose is on. Oh, and the upper fuselage! Neatened some seems here and there.

spacer.png

I tossed the nose on this morning. It will need a little bit of PPP at the seems, but not too much.

spacer.png

spacer.png

ModellingThomFoolery!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Col. said:

This one is taking shape nicely now Thom. You're almost at the painting stage now :thumbsup:

Surprising how fast that happens when you actually work on it.🤔

Have the bottom of the beaver tail in place, though it too needed some extra tabs just to help with alignment and gluing area.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And before paint I need to address the main gear bays and see what I can add for detail and piping.

spacer.png

ModelingThomFoolery!

Thom

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Dansk said:

coming together beautifully thom. 👍

not much ppp needed on those joins.

i might be wrong but the cover forward of the pilots HUD - should that be canvas-esque coloured?

Unsure. The part for the A-variant in the kit does look like it has the canvas look, but the D-variant coaming has some detail on it. And after seeing some pics where it looks like there is no canvas on the front, I'm siding that way. Or I could say it is new canvas that has not fade yet. 😉

18 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

It’s coming together really well Thom. I’m enjoying and learning watching someone more experienced and skilled tackle the same kit.

”Hmmm, so that’s what I should have done…”

And oddly enough, that's what I think when looking at your builds!  Believe me, I'm not so experienced.😆

6 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Looks very good Thom.You are getting closer to finish line...

Serkan

Well, as long as the goal post has been pushed back. 😜

4 hours ago, Roberto said:

Good progress 👍

Thanks! Had a couple of good, small sessions at the table.

Thom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1