Jump to content

When will I ever grow up? Never!


Lindsey C
 Share

Recommended Posts

It can't be just me? At least 3 to 10 times during a build I fly the aircraft over the workbench in my hands like a kid. 🤣 Only during the build. It has too much to break when completed! Pitot tubes, antenna's and wires, props.....  The Spitfire is the most tempting with it's 6 degree Dihedral and beautiful wing shape. They often have no tail plane yet but still look great and there is sometimes the sound of an engine comes out of my mouth 😊

 

Despite being 56 years old and 'Father Time' trying for some 40 years to 'Knock the Child out of me', he has never succeeded and never will now! 👊 Give up mate! 🤣

 

Regards,

 

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Lindsey C said:

Despite being 56 years old and 'Father Time' trying for some 40 years to 'Knock the Child' out of me, he has never succeeded and never will now! 👊 Give up mate!

Hey, I've got another decade on you...and I still make (slightly more dignified) 'zoom' and 'rat-a-tat-tat' sounds while 'test flying' my creations! One of life's most simple joys...for one of life's true simpletons.🥴

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Lindsey C said:

It can't be just me? At least 3 to 10 times during a build I fly the aircraft over the workbench in my hands like a kid. 🤣 Only during the build. It has too much to break when completed! Pitot tubes, antenna's and wires, props.....  The Spitfire is the most tempting with it's 6 degree Dihedral and beautiful wing shape. They often have no tail plane yet but still look great and there is sometimes the sound of an engine comes out of my mouth 😊

 

Despite being 56 years old and 'Father Time' trying for some 40 years to 'Knock the Child out of me', he has never succeeded and never will now! 👊 Give up mate! 🤣

 

Regards,

 

Lindsey

 

 

51501182086_8ea42200d9_c.jpg

 

 

 

 

Chris

  • Like 3
  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Lindsey C, @thorfinn, @dogsbody,

 

Yep, still do it (52 on Saturday), particularly when showing off the latest stage of the build to my long-suffering Jane (who smiles indulgently :)). The rat-tat-tat is reserved for strafing the cats on the way back to my workbench.....

 

Chris - I love that pic! :D 

 

Cheers,

Mark

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm another can give you 10 years & guess what I did several times during my recent Hellcat build. I mean, I had to, it was a Matchbox kit & they sulk & make trouble if you don't  :D

Steve

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO, it's even more difficult to not make a "choo choo" sound when making a model train!

 

BTW, I am now 62 years of age but my mother reckons that I never matured beyond seventeen years of age which coincidentally was the age at which I joined the Royal Navy. That probably explains everything.


Dave

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made a Policy Decision a couple of years back that I’m never going to get old. It’s not going to happen. Even staring grandfatherhood in the face at the age of 52, I’m in decent physical shape, my health is good I’ve never been more active (compared with my 30s where I did no exercise at all and was very overweight with a borderline drink problem). Almost all of my friends are 10, 20 even 30 years younger than me.

 

Still, it does feel a bit odd being the same age as old people… 😁

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

(52 on Saturday)

 

Many happy returns in advance from a fellow '69er!

 

11 hours ago, thorfinn said:

I still make (slightly more dignified) 'zoom' and 'rat-a-tat-tat' sounds while 'test flying' my creations!

 

I strafed the dog with my little P-40 the other day.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll start acting like an adult when they nail the lid down on me and place me in the cold earth. Having said that, it might be a tad late then to change my outlook on life... 

 

Chris.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I made a Policy Decision a couple of years back that I’m never going to get old. It’s not going to happen. Even staring grandfatherhood in the face at the age of 52, I’m in decent physical shape, my health is good I’ve never been more active (compared with my 30s where I did no exercise at all and was very overweight with a borderline drink problem). Almost all of my friends are 10, 20 even 30 years younger than me.

 

Still, it does feel a bit odd being the same age as old people… 😁

That's all very well and good, but try telling that to your body when you have rheumatoid arthritis. Try working out in the garden and you need to move some big stones, and your back is screaming at you, "don't do it, or I'll hurt you". It doesn't matter what the brain thinks, the body always has the last word.

Anyway, I'd feel daft flying a Sherman tank through the air.

 

John.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I'd feel daft flying a Sherman tank through the air.

 

I thought they made a flying M4 Sherman? Or did I dream of one? Too much cheese late at night....

 

Chris. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I'll start acting like an adult when they nail the lid down on me and place me in the cold earth. Having said that, it might be a tad late then to change my outlook on life... 

 

Chris.  

I've always fancied wiring up a speaker in the church then at the end of the service i'd say "Thats it folks,enjoy the party"....I just wish i would be around to see how many make it without passing out....

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

That's all very well and good, but try telling that to your body when you have rheumatoid arthritis.

 

I sympathise, I really do. I count myself so lucky to have my health and be able to do pretty much the same things as I did in my 20s*. But I'm very aware that the clock's ticking. Can I keep this up for another ten years? Five? The years are flying by so quickly and I have no idea what's around the corner. That's why I live every day as full on as I can. 

 

* I'm not quite the rock climber that I was back then - something to do with the extra three stone, perhaps! 😁

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davecov said:

IMHO, it's even more difficult to not make a "choo choo" sound when making a model train!

Yep! And I've only got some part-built wagons on a random length of flexi-track :D 

 

28 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Many happy returns in advance from a fellow '69er!

Thanks, Tony! :) 

 

29 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I strafed the dog with my little P-40 the other day.

What was his reaction? The cats vary - either disdain or terror :D 

 

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Still, it does feel a bit odd being the same age as old people… 😁

I feel like that! Then I look in the mirror and think, "Oh!" I could do with getting at least a bit fitter..... But I'm embracing (step-)grandfatherhood with a five-month-old :) The great part is being able to give him back to Mum or Dad when its time for a nappy change! Its a bit of a double-edged sword though, as my own children are still young (I was a late starter).

 

Cheers,

Mark

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

What was his reaction?

 

Mild bemusement, I'd say.

 

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

The cats vary - either disdain or terror

 

So it's not just me then...

 

As for becoming a granddad, I have appointed myself Bad-Influence-in-Chief. I am going to fill that boy's head with all kinds of nonsense. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

 

I strafed the dog with my little P-40 the other day.

I used to do that on occasion with my ageing long-haired dachshund. Without even lifting her noble head, she'd just look up at me with an expression that said "What an idiot...."

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my first career I was lucky enough to work in a toy factory, and for my second career I got to play with real trains. Grow up - no chance.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Fnick said:

We never grow up it's just the price of the toys that changes...😋

 

This is a reliable measure of whether you've grown up or not.

 

We get a windfall.

 

SWMBO. Kitchen. Redecorate living room. Tax bill. 

 

Me: more toys!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...