Airfix 'New Tool' 1/72 Spitfire Vc (x2) - Imgur test!

Been a while since I’ve posted anything of any meaningful merit, however I’ve been having all sorts of issues with Flickr, so just seeing how this Imgur hosting site works.  Anyway.. here’s an image or two of my newly acquired and started Airfix Spitfire Vc’s.

Cheers.. Dave 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Odd about Flickr. Mine's been working fine

Yeah Chris, not sure what's going on with Flickr? I know I'm close to my 1000 free photo limit however don't believe I've exceeded it. I've even deleted a few photos, however still nothing. Not to worry, its always good to test one's Tech 'nowce', so why not extend the frustration further by trying to learn something new! As the title suggests, this is mainly a thread to test Imgur and how to upload photos from various home devices. The first images were uploaded via Imgur App and mobile phone and these earlier build images have been done via the Imgur website and home computer. Once you get going its just like riding a bike! 

So far this new tool Spitfire Vc is a nice kit and I've just added suitably sized headrests from plastic rod and spare Eduard seat belts to smarten it up a bit. The rest is straight OOB and there's quite a bit included. 

Cheers.. Dave 

spacer.png

cNoTtsD.jpeg

spacer.png

• Like 14

• Rabbit Leader changed the title to Airfix 'New Tool' 1/72 Spitfire Vc (x2) - Imgur test!

Hello Dave!

I had exactly the same problem as you for the last couple of weeks when using my iPhone

I now have three free months upgrade to Pro and I’m back in.

Spiffing Spits btw👍

Trevor

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Max Headroom, I’ve got exactly the same issue that you had. I was contemplating the Pro upgrade however probably don’t upload as much as I should to justify the cost. I’ll stick with Imgur for this thread and weigh up how I feel about the two hosting sites as I go. So far, Imgur seems to be quite easy to use, which is always helpful when the teenage kids aren’t available to sort out the Tech confusion! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

@Rabbit Leader I think the problem must be the notice that pings up saying you are near your limit. Hopefully the back-room elves at Flickr will sort out a permanent fix. In the meantime if you report your problem to them (as should anyone else) it will at least highlight there is a problem in their system 

Happy modelling👍

Trevor

• Like 2

Oh yeah! I forgot that I have Flickr Pro. I switched over to Flickr from Photobucket after their :poop: move 4 years ago. Before I left PB, I downloaded all my images back onto my 'puter, as that was still an option. I soon loaded them all onto Flickr and set about replacing everything I had posted previously with Flickr-hosted pics. In a little over a year, I had reached my 1000 pic limit, so I went Pro. As it only costs about $1.00 CDN a week, it's not a drain on my retirement income.

Chris

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I use imgur on the phone and it's been wonderful so far, snap, edit and upload very simple

So far, I certainly agree although like most things once you get the hang of it, it all seems fairly simple.

Mind you, it helps to have a younger Tech Head on hand to ask questions back and forth and confirm that there's possibly an issue with the application and not you! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Another quick update and photo post before I forget how to do this (not getting any younger you know?) 

Now this New Tool Airfix Vc seems to be missing a few key Spitfire items, however most are not deal breakers and it's always nice to spice up a kit a little by adding some home made modifications. These nose fuel tank caps were easily made by drilling an appropriately sized hole and finding something suitable to replicate the fuel cap. I've got a number of Eduard IX Spitfire kits and these circular pieces are optional outer cannon port blanks that I wont be using. They looked to be just about right and once installed I think they'll be good enough for my purpose. This image also shows the small black leather headrests that are missing from the kit, but required for my two planned examples. Small plastic rod was cut and filed to size - once again, an easy modification to add to this quite nice kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

spacer.png

• Like 6

Two propellers and two different spinners are provided in the base kit. There’s a broad bladed (Jablo?) set up that takes the long and pointy spinner (shown on the right) and a rather bulbous (de Havilland?) spinner that fits the thinner bladed prop (shown at middle). I didn’t think either were suitable for my chosen schemes, so have grafted the small pointy DH spinner that comes with the Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 kit (shown on the left) to one of the kits supplied spinner back plates. You will need to carve out some plastic from inside the old kits spinner to fit properly, however it’s only a few minutes work and the results are much better IMO. That’s another step closer to getting these kits looking right.

Now for some reason I had issues loading this image from my phone to BM, so have gone back to the home PC to load it up! I thought I'd nailed this app.... perhaps not! 

Cheers.. Dave 

spacer.png

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Quick heads up. Your last photo is only showing as a link (which works) rather than as an image.

Thanks Max. Image now restored however I needed to adjust this from my home PC rather than the phone… annoying, but something to else to work out what went wrong. 

Both spinners are wrong? I knew the small bulbous one looked odd, however thought the pointy one was OK?. Glad I modified mine then. 

Cheers.. Dave 

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Another quick update and photo post before I forget how to do this (not getting any younger you know?) 

Now this New Tool Airfix Vc seems to be missing a few key Spitfire items, however most are not deal breakers and it's always nice to spice up a kit a little by adding some home made modifications. These nose fuel tank caps were easily made by drilling an appropriately sized hole and finding something suitable to replicate the fuel cap. I've got a number of Eduard IX Spitfire kits and these circular pieces are optional outer cannon port blanks that I wont be using. They looked to be just about right and once installed I think they'll be good enough for my purpose. This image also shows the small black leather headrests that are missing from the kit, but required for my two planned examples. Small plastic rod was cut and filed to size - once again, an easy modification to add to this quite nice kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

spacer.png

It is just what I did, and post before.

Alain

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Two propellers and two different spinners are provided in the base kit. There’s a broad bladed (Jablo?) set up that takes the long and pointy spinner (shown on the right) and a rather bulbous (de Havilland?) spinner that fits the thinner bladed prop (shown at middle). I didn’t think either were suitable for my chosen schemes, so have grafted the small pointy DH spinner that comes with the Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 kit (shown on the left) to one of the kits supplied spinner back plates. You will need to carve out some plastic from inside the old kits spinner to fit properly, however it’s only a few minutes work and the results are much better IMO. That’s another step closer to getting these kits looking right.

Now for some reason I had issues loading this image from my phone to BM, so have gone back to the home PC to load it up! I thought I'd nailed this app.... perhaps not! 

Cheers.. Dave 

spacer.png

It is also what I have done,now I had made resin copy of the spinner.

I also used Eduard wheels door, and Tamiya or KP wheels

See my Spit in ready for inspection

Alain

• Like 1

Not a lot to report on today, however another opportunity to test the Imgur photo hosting app. (Thankfully it all worked first time around!)

Now there was always something odd about the open canopy arrangement shown in the CAD images of this Spitfire kit and now that I have my own example I can see what the issue is. Shown below from left to right are - the Airfix one piece canopy, the kits individual windshield and in the middle the rear glazing. Next are two examples of the Spitfire open canopy, the shorter and longer Eduard piece the kits example on the extreme right. 

These open canopy pieces are surprisingly quite different!! The Airfix piece is both higher and a lot shorter in length than the Eduard piece and to my eye looks totally wrong. The one piece canopy arrangement seems OK, but I’ll be leaving the Airfix open canopy part well alone on all my builds. 

There’s quite a lot of nice detail inside the kits cockpit so it’s a shame to hide it all behind the closed canopy piece. Saying all that, you can still make a decent Spitfire kit with all the parts provided but these small improvements will pay big dividends later on. 

Cheers.. Dave 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IanC said:

Which schemes have you chosen Dave? Presumably at least one will be green and brown, possibly with a white tail? 😁

Ian, having so many RAAF Spit Vc decal sheets, you would think that would be the obvious way to go, however I’m going RAF this time around. Having recently acquired copies of Paul Lucas’ Malta Spitfire ‘Colour Conundrum’ articles, I’ve got this mad craving to do two Malta delivery Spits from the USS Wasp. Hopefully the image etched in my head will somehow replicate the finished articles! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ian, having so many RAAF Spit Vc decal sheets, you would think that would be the obvious way to go, however I’m going RAF this time around. Having recently acquired copies of Paul Lucas’ Malta Spitfire ‘Colour Conundrum’ articles, I’ve got this mad craving to do two Malta delivery Spits from the USS Wasp. Hopefully the image etched in my head will somehow replicate the finished articles! 

Cheers.. Dave 

That sounds good. Makes it simple too, because you just have to buy a pot of that 'definitive blue/grey RAF/USN paint they may or may not have applied either before, during or after the voyage to Malta' paint!

I'll be watching with interest. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The oversized open canopy is so the kiddies can have there's slid back and it will still sit on the fuselage.  Now you know the mindset Airfix are aiming at.

I hadn't noticed the overdone fairing at the base of the windscreen, but surely it can be filed down, and will have to be even if you go for an Eduard canopy.  Shame Eduard provide alternatives for sliding canopies in their kits but only one windscreen. 

• Like 2

Dayum, Dave! Your Vc's are looking good, and I appreciate the experimentation and corrective measures on the spinners, windscreen, and canopy- saving this WIP for future reference, for sure!( One of the two I bought has to be a No. 2 Squadron SAAF four cannon Vc!) Hoping you and yours in Oz are all safe and well!

Mike

BTW- those interiors are the bee's knees!

• Thanks 1