Italeri 1-48 P-51D Mustang

Ran

If you followed my 'Re-Mojo' build of the T-28B you know it was, unsurprisingly, a bit challenging but enjoyable build - after all it was a Roden kit. You also know that life beyond the bench sucked as I lost my job. 

The P-400 double build is still in progress, but as it is in the painting stage, and the paint schemes are intricate and the kits were not cheap - I will have to attend to them when I have some more energy. 

So I cruised the part of my stash that is stored at home (a small part) for some fun build. 

I have a couple P-51's of different models in my stash - most of them good kits (Tamiya, Eduard, Modelsvit) and also this Italeri P-51D/K. I think this could be a good quick build. It is an NMF build, but I think can build it quickly and it will help out in restoring the fun and good spirit I get from my bench time. 

So here we go:

CWR3pnel.jpg?1

g0f5hOOl.jpg hWKYShpl.jpg

slCjWojl.jpg jnpLY5Il.jpg

Not too complicated (I hope), nice decals and an appealing subject - who can ask for more?

Ran

• Like 4

This is actually one of Italeri's rebox of a Hasegawa kit (with Cartograf decals), so it won't give you any build issues.

Before closing the fuselage halves for good, test fit the tailwheel strut between both halves. I ended up with a small gap in that area. I think it was because I didn't trim the pegs of the tailwheel strut.

Edited by Sturmovik

• 2 months later...

Breaking plastic at last!

After about 4.5 months I sat on the bench once again. It's been a lousy time outside the bench as I'm currently looking for a new job. Between all the distractions and the tension, I re-organized the bench and today brought myself to finally start the compressor and shoot some paint. 

Needless to say my airbrushing needs MAJOR improving as I'm all rusty. 

But it's a start.

BTW - the kit's plastic is VERY soft and I hope it won't be a problem going forward. 

4Ci5479l.jpg

I pushed myself to mask some parts of the wheel wells - I hope it worked.

20eiDMEl.jpg

Tamiya flat black coverage was poor - a good sing my airbrush was not dialed in correctly, as this is probably the most robust paint there is.

ipzZFmhl.jpg Z7hiJ2Kl.jpg

That's it for today.

Comments are welcome as always.

Ran

• Like 1

A quick update.

This turns out to be another 're-mojo'/'de-rust' build. So I'm taking it easy.

I emulated the paint scheme of the wheel wells - but was lazy so the non-green parts are just the bare plastic.

Before:

20eiDMEl.jpg

After:

BchUBwvl.jpg

The rest of the time was devoted to the cockpit - limited effort.

KFNEAmWl.jpg

Cockpit floor was done with some oil paint. I used a pencil for highlighting and some paint for highlighting too. 

The decal took a long time to separate but other than that it performed well.

0zE5uYSl.jpg

That's it for today.

Comments are welcome as always.

Ran

• Like 2