1/72 Sherman Firefly Vc (Airfix)

Bodmin

Given that there are not many parts to this kit I decided on assembling the running gear and tracks rather than opting for the simple single moulded pieces. 

spacer.png

The tracks themselves are in a few pieces but I like the way they go together, particularly when laying over the drive sprocket and idler.

spacer.png

• Like 6

So I put the turret together and test fitted the 3 pieces together only to find out I'd glued the grill too high up on the chassis and the hull pieces wouldn't fit together. Proof that even he simple kits can catch you out if you rush and don't pay close enough attention. Anyway, I managed to remove it with minimal damage and fit it correctly.

Here we are assembled, with only a few minor parts missing until after painting.

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 9/24/2021 at 6:13 PM, veg said:

Looks good I’m still sat on the old kit, recently done a whole host of matchbox small scale armour, big fan of 1/72-76th. 

Thanx,

I've always had a soft spot for the smaller scales. Did loads of Matchbox back in the day. Now looking to have a small selection in 1/72 for true comparisons.

Have to say I'm enjoying building and painting this. For the scale there is more than enough detail to pick out during the painting as you see fit. Turret next, followed by decals and a little weathering before final assembly.

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 9/27/2021 at 10:19 AM, echen said:

Looking good.

I think I read somewhere that Fireflys dispensed with the hull MG to leave room for more ammo.

Indeed, they were rarely installed. Unfortunately this tank came with one pre-installed so the crew will just have to make do 🤣

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:19 AM, echen said:

Looking good.

I think I read somewhere that Fireflys dispensed with the hull MG to leave room for more ammo.

Yes, and reduced the crew to four. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bodmin said:

ndeed, they were rarely installed. Unfortunately this tank came with one pre-installed so the crew will just have to make do 

I'm sure they'd be chuffed. They'd have something to spray the roadsides with as a deterrent to members of the opposition with their Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks; make 'em keep their heads down in the ditches until the Firefly got past.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sardaukar said:

The kit comes with the armour plate to replace the bow machine gun, however the instructions don't even cover this as an option.

I believe the British weren't as keen on machine guns on tanks as the US were in general.

Exactly that. I noticed when I taking the stowage off the sprue. Part D2 is never called up for. The instructions mention alternative parts but don't tell you what the other part is. I took it as meaning "fit the tracks if you want to"!

It does show the armour plate fitted later on, but I missed that. But like you said if it doesn't mention the part how are you supposed to notice.

Anyway I've removed the machine gun and fitted the plate now, so all is well.

spacer.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bodmin said:

Exactly that. I noticed when I taking the stowage off the sprue. Part D2 is never called up for. The instructions mention alternative parts but don't tell you what the other part is. I took it as meaning "fit the tracks if you want to"!

It does show the armour plate fitted later on, but I missed that. But like you said if it doesn't mention the part how are you supposed to notice.

spacer.png

And the box art doesn't help it has the machine gun too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bodmin said:

I had a similar issue with my Panther hull MG. I thought I was nearly finished when I spotted quite an issue with the armour around the mounting.

Having spotted it I had to deal with it or it would have really bugged me knowing it was there. Came out reasonably well in the end. I think it's worth addressing these things wherever we can; it's all experience for later builds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, echen said:

..... I think it's worth addressing these things wherever we can; it's all experience for later builds.

Yeah I couldn't let it go. My first thought was 'oh to hell with it', but it bugged me and I'm glad I changed my mind.

• Like 1