Martin Field "Scratchbuilder" R.I.P.

albergman

Having just commented on the passing of "Codger" I felt moved to mention the passing of another BM member Martin Field who went by the name "Scratchbuilder".

He didn't post very often so his name may not be familiar to most of you.   I started an email correspondence with him 17 years ago back when I decided to take up scratchbuilding myself after I retired and I met him on another forum.

He was "old school" having been a professional model maker for Porsche and VW before computers took his job away and probably contributed to his lasting distaste for computers and  devices such as 3D printers.   I know that my own casual approach to modelling wherein I never build to a known scale and am cavalier about perfection endeared me to him as he was always   "tilting at windmills" and out to "get the b*stards".   I think it would be safe to say he was a true English eccentric but I loved the old git!  (He was 20 years younger than me). 

Martin built masters for many modelling companies over the years.  He has a collection of fabulous wooden boat models on display in Artie's Restaurant in Virginia USA and built a 1/24th scale Maserati Birdcage brass chassis with working steering and U-joints in the steering column for a collector.

At the time of his passing he was almost two years into another masterpiece.  He had been contracted to build the masters for a 1/8th scale Vincent Black Shadow for a company and that was  to be followed by the Black Lightning and a BSA Gold Star.  The master parts for the compete Shadow were finished and many copies of each part have been cast.  He documented a lot of the   fabrication on a public Facebook page (now closed) and was in the process of assembling one from the parts bin and writing the instruction manual.  Hopefully this model will be completed,  possibly  by his son who had been involved in the build, and made available some day.

He was one of the most well versed men I've ever known and was a keen observer of the world around him which was reflected in the dioramas that he sometimes built for a model ... A true  renaissance man I'd say.

I think of him every day and whenever I've finished handmaking some part for my latest steam engine it flashes through my mind ... have to send a picture to Martin then it hits me again ... he's gone.

As I said before, many of you may not know of him but he is a true loss to the modelling world.

Frank Smart

Edited by albergman
  • Sad 8