RCAF H-5/S-51 Dragonfly questions

Seawinder

I'm getting to work on the AMP 1/72 kit, planning to do it as an RCAF S-51, early 1950s. Two questions, if I may:

1. The kit offers two options for the lower port-side clear panel just forward of the sliding door. One is a rounded rectangle, the other is a rounded trapezoid with slanting forward edge. The instructions call for the trapezoid, but all three of the painting options show the rectangle; and photos I've seen make me think that the trapezoid was found on the Westland version, not the Sikorsky. Can anyone confirm that?

2. The overall color call-out is yellow, but photos I've found of restorations show a shade like USAAC Orange Yellow similar to that used on prewar wings. Again, can anyone confirm, and/or does anyone know the official color?

Thanks! Pip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 5:53 PM, Seawinder said:

I'm getting to work on the AMP 1/72 kit, planning to do it as an RCAF S-51, early 1950s. Two questions, if I may:

1. The kit offers two options for the lower port-side clear panel just forward of the sliding door. One is a rounded rectangle, the other is a rounded trapezoid with slanting forward edge. The instructions call for the trapezoid, but all three of the painting options show the rectangle; and photos I've seen make me think that the trapezoid was found on the Westland version, not the Sikorsky. Can anyone confirm that?

That's right, Westland built Dragonflys for the Royal Navy featured a cartridge signal gun and discharge tube that was fitted in the metal portion of where the lower port side rectangle window was, Sikorsky built machines didn't have it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1