What vehicles are these?

bootneck

I was born in 1948 and spent my early childhood number-plate spotting;  as such, I thought that I knew most vehicle types of the immediate postwar and 1950s.  Although these vehicles are of c.1943, I would have expected them to still be around in the early 1950s; however, I don't recognise any of them.   Can anyone please advise me what each of the different makes and types are?

spacer.png

source: Getty images

cheers,
Mike

7 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Thanks, and the other vehicles?

I'll take a stab. From the lorry in front of the crane, which I think may be a Bedford, then either a Bedford or Austin (they’re very similar to each other), which leaves what might be a Ford or possibly a Commer.

• Like 1

The lorry in front of the crane, and its partner, seems to be a Dennis tipper, which would be appropriate.  A possibility might be the Ford 7V tipper, but this has a snub nose.

I don't know the one on the right, but the centre bar to the grill should be distinctive.  Perhaps a Bedforr ML or similar from that company?

I was going to agree with the Austin Tilly, but Les Frealy (British Military Trucks of WW2) has a photo of a Ford V8 in WVS hand which looks to be a better bet.  The cooling slots on the side however don't appear to match either.

It may be a 1943 photo, although 1940/41 may fit too  (or indeed any year any city was bombed), but the vehicles are 1930s civilian types.

• Like 1

The canteen truck was built from a 1936 Ford V8 4 door saloon.  It can be identifies by the grill, front fenders, front bumper, and the vents in the bonnet side panels.    Ford did not make a truck with these components.  The length of the doors indicate it's built from a 4 door saloon.

• Like 3

Yes, canteen truck is definitely an American '36 Ford.

The LCC ambulance might be a Morris 10?  This one certainly is:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/car-converted-into-london-county-council-ambulance-news-photo/541889579

I think the truck in front of the crane and the one next to it are Bedford W-series (notice the driver's side windsceeen appears smaller):

https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p940014599/h4cd28284#h34209d2f

The light truck on the right appears to be a 1937 Fordson model 79.

Thanks Endeavour and Six97s.

I am really loving this because I'm learning so much about vehicles of that period.   Another question, mainly as I hope to learn more, are there any recommended magazines or publications that show vehicles of this period (Not modern preservation stuff) such as these?  Even better if they contained profiles and plans.

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike