Question - Your preferred paint manufacturer's Green for Russian armour.

Zack

As the subject is indicating - no need to be scientific - just your preference.

I do realize that I am probably to some level color blind. All greens are pretty much the same (grey) to me.

You have probably covered this zillions of times all ready - just point me in the correct direction :)

Happy modelling and enjoy the season - the autumn colors (not green) are starting to show!

Zack - owner of +15 shades of green by 5 manufactures...

Are you talking WW2 or post war?

If  you want WW2 4BO green then you should look at the 4BO Green website here http://www.4bogreen.com/.  No paint recommendations but if you look at the formula there for 4BO you will immediately realise that it could be any shade from a yellowish green to a dark brunswick green because of the variation allowed in the ingredient mix.

For post-war green the official shade changed a couple of times.  But the end result is any shade you like, as evidenced by this photo of a park of BTR-60s.

spacer.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Are you talking WW2 or post war?

If  you want WW2 4BO green then you should look at the 4BO Green website here http://www.4bogreen.com/.  No paint recommendations but if you look at the formula there for 4BO you will immediately realise that it could be any shade from a yellowish green to a dark brunswick green because of the variation allowed in the ingredient mix.

For post-war green the official shade changed a couple of times.  But the end result is any shade you like, as evidenced by this photo of a park of BTR-60s.

spacer.png

Hi,

Thank you taking your time with this question. And thank you for sharing this picture AB.
Reminds me of this picture found on the German Bundesarchiv showing soldiers in discussion wearing Uniforms (actually lack of such).

2v2a6GrtWx6eHcV.jpg

@Foxbat,

Thank you for sharing this link. Found a vendor in Finland :) and will get a set.
Akan is unfortunately not available locally here in Gothenburg.

I will put up some color samples later today and would appreciate your comments.

Happy modelling all!

Zack, blender of 50 shades of grey...

• 1 month later...

I’m mainly an aircraft guy, but for ease of use I’m in the enamel camp. Thin with big standard mineral spirits or lacquer thinner and spray. No need for proprietary thinners/flow enhancers like most so-called “acrylics.”

As to color fidelity, regardless of subject, I’d have to put Colourcoats at the top of the list. They are hard to find here in the U.S., however. On this side of the pond we also have True North enamels, which are said to “behave” much like the late Model Master enamels, although they do not offer as extensive a range of colors. A U.S. enamel brand with a vast range of colors is Tru-Color, but they are acetone-based and may be too smelly for some.

Humbrol is still a favorite of mine. I’ve used it since I was in high school (and I’m now 75), and it makes up the majority of my paint stock. But most of it is new old stock, especially Authentics I’ve been able to locate, mainly on eBay. I have some 60+ year-old Humbrol enamel that is as fresh as the day it left the factory!

On 11/6/2021 at 2:54 PM, Space Ranger said:

I’m mainly an aircraft guy, but for ease of use I’m in the enamel camp. Thin with big standard mineral spirits or lacquer thinner and spray. No need for proprietary thinners/flow enhancers like most so-called “acrylics.”

I use acrylics almost exclusively, but since I'm a brush painter I find that a good brush, a palette and some tap water are all the tools I need. Horses for courses :)

Andy

41 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I use acrylics almost exclusively, but since I'm a brush painter I find that a good brush, a palette and some tap water are all the tools I need. Horses for courses :)

Andy

I use acrylics for washes and have found that adding a drop of a wetting agent/flow enhancer such as window cleaner or liquid detergent helps. It would probably help with brushing them, too.