Bentley 4 1/2 litre Blower in 1/12th scale - may contain Airfix.

nick

I think the whole thing looks great and is 1000% improvement in the Airfix attempt.

But.......

If I were to be super critical - and I think you are asking us to be 😄.....

The top line of the cam cover nose should be a smooth curve down to immediately behind the brass speedo drive flange, not transition in to a flat 'collar'.

The collar is evident at the cam cover flange with the head, but the collar fades out the higher you go looking from the side.

I think this image shows best what I am trying to describe:-

48013631296-ce83c7dd1e-o-Copy.jpg

PS, did the link work to all the other pics I sent you of GF3372?

PPS have you any idea why the pop off valve shrouds are reversed on some blower engines? See the different types in the images below.

bentley-4-1-2-litre-supercharged-le-mans
Bentley-4-5-Litre-Blower-Le-Mans-Tourer-

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

The top line of the cam cover nose should be a smooth curve down to immediately behind the brass speedo drive flange, not transition in to a flat 'collar'.

The collar is evident at the cam cover flange with the head, but the collar fades out the higher you go looking from the side.

I think this image shows best what I am trying to describe:-

PS, did the link work to all the other pics I sent you of GF3372?

PPS have you any idea why the pop off valve shrouds are reversed on some blower engines? See the different types in the images below.

Malc.

Malc,

Sorry I neglected to thank you for the photos, yes I got them thanks and they’re great. 

your last shots are useful too, I can see exactly what you mean, that’s some odd geometry there, it’s almost like there’s an overhang on the top.

The shape is pretty much an igloo if you think about it, only an igloo would have the top intersection set back, not forward like this. I need to think again, you’re right, I did want to know what’s wrong. 

I’m now thinking the section profile is rotated down into the nose with a one-sided taper going on at the same time? More likely it’s a totally random shape whittled from cheese by some long-dead artisan. 

it’s bloody difficult to replicate anyway!

what do think about the curve on the top of the case? Too much now?

Thanks  for your help and interest!

regards

Nick

• Like 2

Hi Nick,

That is looking so much better, I think you are very close now, the only bit that still doesn't quite gel is the transition into the rev counter drive flange, there is a more pronounced negative, see below.

bentley-321

Highlighting the shut line, the pronounced curve can be seen

bentley-322

I think your profile is about right though

SetWidth900-Should-we-supercharge-or-not

Keep it up, you are very close, you have my utmost admiration for your patience !!

Cheers

David

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Dancona said:

Hi Nick,

That is looking so much better, I think you are very close now, the only bit that still doesn't quite gel is the transition into the rev counter drive flange, there is a more pronounced negative, see below.

bentley-321

Highlighting the shut line, the pronounced curve can be seen

bentley-322

I think your profile is about right though

SetWidth900-Should-we-supercharge-or-not

Keep it up, you are very close, you have my utmost admiration for your patience !!

Cheers

David

Great photos, I think I've got it now

51535093793_0d8afeff56_h.jpg

Once I figured out to tilt the front profile and use three rails for the loft, it suddenly became a lot easier. I was nearly defeated by this I must admit!

51534054012_fefb6514a8_h.jpg

So all I just did was steepen the angle of the nose profile to 45 as you can see here.

Thanks for all the help, especially for telling me it still isn't right! :)

Nick

• Like 3

Haha!  I have been doing a Fusion360 course on Skillshare and know what you mean by Rails and Lofts.  Wish the course was based on the current interface as the menus have all changed - adds to the learning process.

Progress is looking great though and has got me into finally learning a new application.

Tony

1 minute ago, Mumbly said:

Haha!  I have been doing a Fusion360 course on Skillshare and know what you mean by Rails and Lofts.  Wish the course was based on the current interface as the menus have all changed - adds to the learning process.

Progress is looking great though and has got me into finally learning a new application.

Tony

Lordy, that's a worry if even one person knows what I'm talking about!

Nick

Nick, you are but a gnats nudger away from it I think, it still needs a slightly softer transition into the "nose", I must apologize for being such a pedant but I do this kind of stuff (driving digital modellers to alchohol) for a living, and if I may say so, from a professional point of view, you are very good at this !!

51535906435_df1706f39b_h2

Hope it makes sense !

Cheers

David

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dancona said:

Nick, you are but a gnats nudger away from it I think, it still needs a slightly softer transition into the "nose", I must apologize for being such a pedant but I do this kind of stuff (driving digital modellers to alchohol) for a living, and if I may say so, from a professional point of view, you are very good at this !!

51535906435_df1706f39b_h2

Hope it makes sense !

Cheers

David

Ok, as we're being serious, I've revised all of the geometry now, the main curve of the thing is more pronounced and brought further forward, which i think is closer to the original, ie more spherical which I was missing before.

51535218951_200484a14a_h.jpg

I hear what you say about the blending, but there is a lot going on in that corner, and that's as far as I can push the fillet. The shape and feel is much closer now thanks to your help, so I'm calling this done I think.

Nick

• Like 4

Think you've nailed it, - time for a test print!

The curve of the top of the cam cover (as seen from the front or rear) looks perfect.

Some Bentleys have a flatter top to the cam cover, but all the blowers are as you have modelled it.

M.

Latest render, doesn't look like I did much today, but the cam cover was a real trial and very time consuming.

51536017181_9bdb9ef4c8_h.jpg

51536750194_a84d7096ff_h.jpg

I would like to think it's right now, or near enough anyway!

there's some printing going on too :)

Regards,

Nick

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Dancona said:

Looking stonking, are the spark plugs the right size, they look a little small ?

Maybe so, I maybe guessed, easy to check. 

thanks for the kind words and all your help. 

Nick

Hi Nick

Looks fantastic, I think that the Airfix kit is going to become extremely sought after, now that it can be brought up to scratch !!

That cam cover really looks the business now, well done !

Cheers

David

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dancona said:

Hi Nick

Looks fantastic, I think that the Airfix kit is going to become extremely sought after, now that it can be brought up to scratch !!

That cam cover really looks the business now, well done !

Cheers

David

Thanks David, it may be correct, but it’s still ugly!

Nick

That looks great, one additional note, the pop off valve shrouds should have a radius where the sides meet the back face, they look to be pressed steel, so would naturally have a radius in the corner, you can see this in the second photo I posted at the top of the page, where the shields are fitted backwards - I still don't know why this is!

It would be great to spend some time with a Bentley restorer to ask some questions! (and take lots of photos).

Malc.

9 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

That looks great, one additional note, the pop off valve shrouds should have a radius where the sides meet the back face, they look to be pressed steel, so would naturally have a radius in the corner,

Hi Malc,

yes I have that:-

51538010556_f12a8b22dc_h.jpg

What's happened here is that I thickened the wall as they were too flimsy when printed, and it's put a slight lip on the radius so they look square from the front, the work of a moment to put right.

Good spot though, Britmodeller quality control team is working well :)

Nick

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, colin said:

Would love to buy the kit and add all the extras, but price wise it would start hitting the heights of MFH kits when all added up I'm sure.

But it would look fantastic no doubt

Maybe, maybe not.

I will look at pricing when I have a finished product. I'm currently think about some 'stages and bundles' for this.

For example, I'm sure you guys would like to get your paws on my engine fixing set, which would also go on the base airfix engine if you wanted to dress it slightly for a lower cost.

51538781489_167fe92d4d_h.jpg

I will be driven by the market ultimately.

Nick

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, nick said:

Hi Malc,

yes I have that:-

Nick

I should have known better than to question your skillz!!!

11 minutes ago, colin said:

Would love to buy the kit and add all the extras, but price wise it would start hitting the heights of MFH kits when all added up I'm sure.

But it would look fantastic no doubt

Ah, the most difficult question in the world - what price point should a vendor decide upon for his products?!

This is Shirley going to rival the TopStudio MP4/6 and Fw14b super detail sets when complete just in content alone.

Malc.

5 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Ah, the most difficult question in the world - what price point should a vendor decide upon for his products?!

This is Shirley going to rival the TopStudio MP4/6 and Fw14b super detail sets when complete just in content alone.

Malc.

You're too kind, but don't call me Shirley.

The old ones are the best.

Nick

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Malc2 said:

I should have known better than to question your skillz!!!

Malc.

Yes but how many people are going to buy the Topstudio MP4/6 at £300 plus the kit on top, your selling base starts to shrink quite quickly at those prices.

Nick's products add a lot of detail where it counts and you won't get bogged down by detail that becomes epic in the build, but with a lot not on show unless you leave all the panels off, to the extent it's not really representing the car your trying to show in the end