-- On Hold Indefinitely -- Daks' All Folks! - Airfix Dakota Mk.III 1/72

Lewis95

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Depends on what you mean by "little."  If it's antennas and landing gear, then yes.  If it's the engines, then no.  You should attach the "power eggs" and smooth out the joints before you start painting.

Exhausts, antennae, landing gear etc. Definitely wouldn't be leaving the power eggs off as they have moulded parts that join the main wing. The side exhausts will likely be left off.

1 hour ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Leaving all the dangly and pointy bits off until the end is the best way to go that's the direction my esci/Italeri Dak is going in 

I made the mistake once (per kit) of attaching a pitot tube before painting.... Didn't end well!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

December Nupdate.... 

I haven't forgotten about this build. A whole lotta shiznit has been happening on the personal front and frankly, killed my modelling mojo. Then, tonight, when I finally had a bit of oomph to do something, I went to basecoat a few pieces in black and boom.... airbrush blockage. A full strip down and bath in Mr Tool has both left me zapped of energy and unable to drive! Hopefully the urge strikes back soon. 

• Sad 6

11 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

December Nupdate.... 

I haven't forgotten about this build. A whole lotta shiznit has been happening on the personal front and frankly, killed my modelling mojo. Then, tonight, when I finally had a bit of oomph to do something, I went to basecoat a few pieces in black and boom.... airbrush blockage. A full strip down and bath in Mr Tool has both left me zapped of energy and unable to drive! Hopefully the urge strikes back soon. 

That is a bummer. As will be obvious from the slew of likes I've given this on the way through, I've just stumbled across this thread & been much impressed. Hopefully the continuation won't be too far away, more for your sake than ours though. :)

Take care,

Steve.

• Like 1

Sorry to read this. Perhaps if you try to think of modelling as your own private world that you can order in anyway you like and make it whatever you want it to be.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 08:41, bigbadbadge said:

Sorry to hear this, I do hope you're Mojo recovers soon.  

Best wishes

Chris

It comes and it goes. I've been putting it off as I'm quite intimidated by the gear on this thing but I do tend to flit between my hobbies. Photography and gaming have been at the fore recently, especially as my youngest is going through a problematic sleeping stage.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:29, stevehnz said:

That is a bummer. As will be obvious from the slew of likes I've given this on the way through, I've just stumbled across this thread & been much impressed. Hopefully the continuation won't be too far away, more for your sake than ours though. :)

Take care,

Steve.

Thanks bud :) I hope it's not too far away now either! Once the engines are on, I won't be far off of painting up the bulk of the airframe.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:45, Martian said:

Sorry to read this. Perhaps if you try to think of modelling as your own private world that you can order in anyway you like and make it whatever you want it to be.

Helpful of Mars 👽

I think that's what I'm going to do. Once I get the engines on, I'll finish up the main fuselage bits and then paint. I can them paint up all the extra bits as they go on such as the gears, wheels, exhausts etc. That way, I'll always feel like I've completed part of it.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:43, Ruskin Air Services said:

Hate getting builders block. Must be that time of year where the nights are longer than the days. Seeing how much building I got done several months ago compared to recently is quite alarming

Must be that..... Definitely not a massive phase of looking at instructions and airbrush and going "Nope, not tonight my friend!"

• Like 3

Just catching up with this post. I have got one on the go and have reached a point of which scheme to finish it in. Currently I am undecided of whether to go military or civil. For the military one it's an RCAF post war option using the Lleafing Edge set of decals in my box or.....wait for it......a civvy one as a Silver City one using very ancient decals from the very original Airfix kit. But they look fragile and very 'yellowed'' The option I have with this is to speak to my club colleague and see if he can reproduce them and possibly include the fuselage cheat lines.  So this will stall progress until I decide. Meanwhile I am looking forward too seeing how yours progresses. Cheers.

Just catching up. Lots glued and wobbled about. Nice work. 😀I think everyone is having a mojo down spike at the moment. Just come to it when it feels right. Answering your question from Oct. Yes deffo leave the little bits off till last in my opinion. Aaaand if the word “power eggs” doesn’t get your mojo juice flowing I don’t know what will. I just had two boiled eggs for breakfast. They will be now known as such.

Take care.

Johnny.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

Jas a Silver City one using very ancient decals from the very original Airfix kit. But they look fragile and very 'yellowed'' The option I have with this is to speak to my club colleague and see if he can reproduce them and possibly include the fuselage cheat lines.  So this will stall progress until I decide. Meanwhile I am looking forward too seeing how yours progresses. Cheers.

Silver City DC-3  decals are made by AIM availble from Hannants here

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TWL72010

On 15/12/2021 at 11:02, AMB said:

Silver City DC-3  decals are made by AIM availble from Hannants here

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TWL72010

Interesting. But currently not available. Also I would change the reggie for a UK one. But I do have the tiny set for the airstairs!

On 15/12/2021 at 07:49, Paul J said:

Just catching up with this post. I have got one on the go and have reached a point of which scheme to finish it in. Currently I am undecided of whether to go military or civil. For the military one it's an RCAF post war option using the Lleafing Edge set of decals in my box or.....wait for it......a civvy one as a Silver City one using very ancient decals from the very original Airfix kit. But they look fragile and very 'yellowed'' The option I have with this is to speak to my club colleague and see if he can reproduce them and possibly include the fuselage cheat lines.  So this will stall progress until I decide. Meanwhile I am looking forward too seeing how yours progresses. Cheers.

I will be going with the OOB RAF version from WW2, the other option of RAF Middle East is nice but not quite my forte when I think of a DC3. A DC3 is either a paratrooper hauling bad bottom or a beaten metal crate of wisdom. Though I did discover there were a bunch converted to VIP config which also fascinate me....

On 15/12/2021 at 09:25, The Spadgent said:

Just catching up. Lots glued and wobbled about. Nice work. 😀I think everyone is having a mojo down spike at the moment. Just come to it when it feels right. Answering your question from Oct. Yes deffo leave the little bits off till last in my opinion. Aaaand if the word “power eggs” doesn’t get your mojo juice flowing I don’t know what will. I just had two boiled eggs for breakfast. They will be now known as such.

Take care.

Johnny.

You've never heard of power eggs!?! I make amazing Jet Fuel Eggs. 3 large eggs, salt & pepper, dash of whole milk, garlic & Cholula hot sauce whisked together in a jug (no shells mind!). Pour into the pan as if you're making an omelette. Once it gets a little on the firmer side, throw in your cheese and some jalepenos (the jarred ones will do fine) and then hack it all up to make a scrambled omelette. Bloody lovely if you like a little spice! 

Anyways, where am I with the Dak? Well, fueled by eggs I've actually made some progress. Not a lot but enough to write a quick word. Albeit, no pictures (the horror!) as I've not done that much so to speak. I finally managed to spray the black onto the engine radials and gave them an overbrushing of Citadel Leadbelcher. Got the nacelles on, puttied and polished and attached to the engine body. Attaching the engine bodies was...testing and required a bit of sanding and removal of locator tabs. I'm not going to stress too much about the seam running around it as it's not too obvious. The intakes above the engine are also on but the fit was not great though in the real world, they look like they need some putty too! Sanding helped tone that down a bit but it should be fairly well hidden under a lick of paint. I also managed to attach the doors which was rather fiddly. I'm now in the process of taping over the 15 odd windows and after that.... paint! 

• Like 1

Builds dead folks. 

One of the transparencies took a ping into the bin, lovingly left there by my Mrs. Aforementioned bin is also full of mucky tissues due to a sick cat so like hell am I rooting through it. Sure, a single transparency going missing isn't the end of the world but I am beyond wee weed off as every step forward with getting into this kit, I hit a step backwards. The rest of the kit almost followed the transparency so it's now been shoved back into the box and I'll work on something else for awhile til I fancy coming back to deal with it.

Sorry all, no Daks this week. 

• Sad 3

• Lewis95 changed the title to -- On Hold Indefinitely -- Daks' All Folks! - Airfix Dakota Mk.III 1/72
6 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Oh, so sorry!  Lots of frustration in all this.  Take a break then!

Aye, I'll come back to it eventually when the mojo returns for it. It's not the hardest fix, just incredibly frustrating. 

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Bugger! Here is hoping a good festive season for you & yours. :)

Steve.

Thanks bud, providing I don't start another nigh impossible kit, all should be dandy :) Merry Christmas to you too mate.

• Thanks 1

My sympathies! We all have a build like that (or two or three…). Park it on your shelf of doom/shame/darkness and do a nice kit when you are ready. Not a super kit, just one that’s fun from end to end.

Well, that works for me anyway :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2