Yokosuka D4Y3 Suisei - FineMolds - 1/48

Hello There,

My first official build on this forum! So, let's start it with the most beautiful dive bomber of the second world war, the Yokosuka D4Y3 Suisei, "Judy" for the allies. The model will be at 1/48 scale and comes from the excellent FineMolds.

d4y3_p10.jpg

I choose to represent this aircraft as a Kamikaze one, a very important subject i think, and who deserved to not be forget.

I have bought some extra for the kit, a figure from CMK, photoetch from the same brand as the it and Montex mask because I hate masking

dsc_2264.jpg

First of all, all the airrcafts who flew for a suicide mission were were rid of all that was superfluous. So, the bomber seat, the machine gun defense and the radio are removed, so I scratch the support of the radio and add some metal wires 

dsc_2265.jpg

All the pilots who go for the special attacks had a special ceremony before the last flight. The night before, they cut thier hairs, send them to thier family (or nail clipping), and just before climbing in thier aircrafts, they drink saké to the emperor. They also tie around their heads a headband, called hachimaki in Japanese, on which was painted a hinomaru and patriotic inscriptions.

I find this picture very moving

838_ka10.jpg

So I decided to present this headband around the head of the figurine, using putty tamiya

dsc_2266.jpg

Then, the cockpit recieved some scratch to complete him

dsc_2267.jpg

That's all for tonight,

Sorry for all the orthograph mistakes, I'm trying my best XD

Have a nice day and best regards

Vincent

• Like 13

On 9/20/2021 at 4:26 PM, VinBizz4786_ said:

I find this picture very moving

838_ka10.jpg

Vincent

This is an Awesome photo!  Did you notice the lock of hair hanging on his jacket?

I also agree that this is one great looking plane...

Edited by Tokyo Raider
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2021 at 00:15, Flight Line Media said:

Nice start, Vincent!! I look forward to seeing your build completed.

Thanks Buddy 

On 21/09/2021 at 18:17, clive_t said:

Following with interest. I always enjoy Japanese subjects, as well as anything unusual such as the Kamikaze variant you are portraying here. I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Thank you for the following mate !
It was the will to honor these suicides missions, who are too often forget 

On 24/09/2021 at 15:22, Jackman said:

Will follow this for sure.  Nice work on the pilot 👍

Thanks 🤗

On 24/09/2021 at 16:00, Tokyo Raider said:

C'est une photo géniale! Avez-vous remarqué la mèche de cheveux accrochée à sa veste ?

Je suis également d'accord pour dire que c'est un bel avion...

Thanks mate,

Oh, nice detail, i did not see it 

Hello guys,

Working really slowly, I offer you the latest advances on Judy;

First of all, looking at pictures of Japanses aircrafts during ww2, we can see the sheet metal of the fuselage pushed back on itself, because of its thinness and wear. It's like oil canning on submarines. So, we a special blade, I reproduce the effect

dsc_2268.jpg

Then, the sides of the cockpit recieved some metals wires for more details

dsc_2269.jpg

The paintjob begins with a pre shading, using XF-1

dsc_2270.jpg

The main color is cockpit green XF-71 from Tamiya, very diluated to preserve the preshading effect

dsc_2271.jpg

Adding some XF-11, I create some variation and lights effect

dsc_2272.jpg

All the details are painted with brush and acrylics

dsc_2273.jpg

The weathering is completed using AK washes and some pigments

dsc_2274.jpg

That's it my friend,

have a nice day and best regards,

Vincent

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/10/2021 at 04:29, Jackman said:

Nice work on the stressed skin effect. Some tips ( in case you haven't seen them already)

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/stressedskineffectkh_1.htm

http://www.ratomodeling.com.br/articles/stressed_skin/

Thanks, and thank you for the links 

Hello guys,

I'm back (finally)! Sorry for my lack of posts, but I'm little bit tired these days with the work, and sometime, I don't have the motivation to go building models...

So, here a small update, who begins with a step I don't enjoy at all, the riveting, because I have only a bad and low quality rivet tool from trumpeter... But after some hours, the job is done

dsc_2275.jpg

Then, the 2 sections of the fuselages, and the wings are glues! All the gaps are filled with small sections of plastics and mastic

dsc_2276.jpg

The engine is upgrade with differents wires

dsc_2277.jpg

After the painting and washes sorry, I don't know why, the picture is really bad)

dsc_2278.jpg

And finally, I assemble the hood with the engines on the model. Some sanding is required, but this, is for the next update

dsc_2279.jpg

Have a nice day,

Best regards

Vincent

• Like 8

On 26/10/2021 at 22:27, clive_t said:

Nice job, you've done more modelling here than I have in the last 2 months, and I don't even have work to occupy me!

Thanks man!! I'm enjoying the fact that I'm not married and dont have children 🤣

Hello there !!!!

After having decide to shake my bottom, I have finally enought pictures to post for the forum, so here we go, shall we ?

The 250 kg bomb recieved a small add with cooper wires. And for the bomb bay, I see that on some pics, the doors were removed (maybe for the weigt... so two thins bands of plastic cards will replaced them

dsc_2281.jpg

Then, the bay is painted with some dark green, and the weathering is made with a aluminium color dry brush, a brown wash and some pigments

dsc_2282.jpg

Then, the bomb is painted and glue in place

dsc_2283.jpg

The canopy of the kit was awful and damaged, so I replaced it with a vacuforme one

dsc_2284.jpg

I really enjoy airrcafts in a flying position, for many reasons; I dont like opens canopy (it breaks the line of the aircraft), and alos because there is no landing trains to paint. So, the Suisei will be represented in his last suicide dive. The idea comes frome the website scalespot, and here is the tutorial of the methode to put your aircarts in a flying position https://www.scalespot.com/

And here the pic of the Bodybuilded bomber

dsc_2285.jpg

That's it my friends !!!
Have a nice day and keep modelling,

Vincent

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there !!!

I took advantage of this week as well as this weekend to moving foward on the Suisei, so let's go to the pictures, shall we ?

First of all, I have "based" the pilot figure (modified CMK), using XF-52 mix with a little bit of XF-64, then, still using the airbrush, i made 1 layer of shadow and 3 layers of highlights

dsc_2286.jpg

And I do the same thing but with the brushes

dsc_2287.jpg

Despite the fact that the figure is for a A6M Zero cockpit, she fits perfectly in the bomber

dsc_2288.jpg

Then, because the canopy of the kit was damaged, I ordered a new one, and after preparing it, she is glues to the fuselage (who wasnt the easiest part)

dsc_2289.jpg

Then, the whole plane received a layer of ak aluminium color, and 2 coats of chipping fluid

dsc_2290.jpg

For the green, it's a mixt of XF-12, lights with XF-11 and a little bit of XF-26

dsc_2291.jpg

Them I highlights some pannels adding more XF-11 to the mixture

dsc_2292.jpg

And to complete the paint job, some structure lines are painted in dark green XF-12

dsc_2293.jpg

For the chipping, I have these 2 references pics

hay1-n10.jpg

1024px10.jpg

i have used a thooth brush and mostly a spoon (using the "abrasiv side")

dsc_2294.jpg

dsc_2295.jpg

Not bad at all for the first time I use chipping fluid,

That's it my friend

Have a nice day and best reguards

Vincent

• Like 10

Hello Folk,

here we are for a new update, with new pictures and somes advences !!

First of all, the inferior part of the Bomber wasnt painted, but now it's done, using Gunze color H61. I also use the same methode used for the green, with higlight and shadows

dsc_2296.jpg

Because I had a few bad experiences with decals on rivet surfaces (despite the microsol), I have decide to use masks for the first time, from Montex

dsc_2297.jpg

The national markings are painted with a mix of Red and Yellow, and also with some variations for more contrast

dsc_2298.jpg

Then, other small markings (like the red squares or the lines) are painted with the airbrush, and I applied the few decals 

dsc_2299.jpg

That's all for tonight gentlemen!
Have a nice day and best regards!
Vincent

• Like 8

Hello There,

I worked very hard this weekend to finish this Suisei on time, so let's get to the explanations without further delay;

First, to give the plane a tired side, in addition to the chipping, it received treatment with various oil paints, which make it look really good

dsc_2300.jpg

Then, I add a pinwash (dark brown) to renforce the lines of the structure

dsc_2301.jpg

The exhausts and exhaust marks are also treated with oil, more realistic than the airbrush

dsc_2303.jpg

We glue the last elements on the model, then after a coat of varnish to protect everything, I let it dry

dsc_2304.jpg

As usual, I prepare a small plate, adding a Haiku, a small Japanese poem whose interpretation is specific to each one; he says "The cherry blossom falls from the tree, but never comes up again

dsc_2305.jpg

Finish line my friends

dsc_2306.jpg

dsc_2307.jpg

dsc_2308.jpg

dsc_2309.jpg

As I like the traditions, and to pay homage to the Kamikaze body, I bought a bottle and a bowl for the sake, it was drunk in their honor

dsc_2310.jpg

It is time for me to focus on a new montage, something very massive that I love more than anything and whose images will not be long,
Good end of the day to you,
Vincent

• Like 6