wot next is the big question?

Dunno mate, possibles are as follows :- 

1/72 Revell Tornado GR-1 

1/72 Hasegawa F-111F ( Lakenheath) 

1/48 Revell F-15E         (Lakenheath)

1/48 Hasegawa F-18F 

1/48 Hobbyboss A-6E 

1/48 Tamiya Skyraider 

Or just get back onto the Armour as these Aircraft guys are a real tough gig to crack :frantic:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

More grey painting going on :frantic:

Nose and fuselage sides plus the wingtip launchers. Its all a bit rough at the moment with some overspray that needs tidying up. The canopy is the smoked one 

provided by Hasegawa so is sacrificial - Glued with PVA and acting as a mask for the sake of painting, it will be swapped later.

P1110073

P1110074

P1110076

P1110077

P1110078

Lots more yet to do. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What an inspirational build! Really impressed with how you`ve overcome the good old Hasegawa kit and made it shine! I remember when this kit came out in the early 80`s - fantastic for it`s time! I`ve built more than 15 so far and still have a few among all my Tamiya ones! Most of us would go along with the Tamyia F-16C Block 25/ 32 and use upgrade sets - but not you! The scratchbuilt bomb-carrier is a beauty on it`s own!

Since you`re getting close to completing this gem, I would like to suggest some peculiar mods to the late versions of the F-16 before you finish up.

The MLU`s have some RAM (radar absorbing material) panels placed around the airframe. These panels are covered by Astra (by Daco) set  # 4822. However that set does not cover the RAM on the end of the parabrake housing. Use som filler or thick paint for that. It is also possible to do these panels with plastic card and some riveting. Plenty of phots on the net for these.

I also belive that the wheels you`ve chosen are incorrect for the RNethAF MLU - it seems that the wheels you have on are for the Block 40. MLU wheels are represented by ResKit 48-0024. If I`m wrong on this - I hereby consider myself corrected!!

These observations are not meant to "piddle on your parade" - continue and get her done! It will be a stunner!!!🥳

Happy New Year and Happy Modelling!

John

• Thanks 1

John @Iceman11, thank you for the feedback fella, very much appreciated indeed :thumbsup:

I shall order the correct wheels so that its correct for the version, a proper minefield these F-16's and getting as much done to get it as correct 

as it can be. I did see the RAM panels on the tail and I cut a Tamiya tape template to do them but I forgot about it after primint and hitting the top coat ! 

I was going to build it up with Mr Surfacer and then removing the tape.  I'll have a look at the other panels - they were not that clear in the Daco book 

on where they should go or even if they were fitted. I used a Ref picture of J-063 taking off just to get a feel for the upper scab plates. Again no rhyme or reason 

on these. Some show a full house and others only had a few fitted so i suppose its all to do with age and airframe fatigue? 

FYI I was going to use the Tamiya kit to do this but as Ant P @AntPhillips gifted me the kit a fair few years ago I thought it would be nice to get it built ;)

So just checking the fit of the tanks and other pylon goodies. They need fettling further as the tank has a bit of toe in !! 

P1110105

P1110104

P1110103

P1110101

P1110100

Better get back to the decalling as I still have a bucket load to add yet !! 

• Like 6

Keep the pictures coming!! Wonderful stuff - when my new house is done in May (with my mancave👌) I will get back to modelling again! Cannot wait - maybe a Hasegawa NSAWC F-16A or B will be first up, thanks to your inspirational build! Or a F-16N.... or a RNoAF F-16A... or....

Cheers,

John

• Thanks 1

Great looking F-16 this. There’s something about part built kits with decals on already that looks very professional. Not sure why anyone does that but it looks like they know something I don’t as I’ve always left the decals til last from age 8 to this day!

Never done pre-shading either, this WIP is a great learning experience. Looking superb with those stores added too.

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys, Appreciate the likes and the comments on this build, @Hook I shall digest the pics and see if I can implement the RAM on the tail, I think it’s possible but I’m still kicking myself for not doing it earlier :frantic:

Got to agree @Pappy, The Hasegawa kit still has a lot of mileage in her mate :D

Regards

Dan - The sprog aircraft builder :ner:

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 1:18 PM, Dads203 said:

FYI I was going to use the Tamiya kit to do this but as Ant P @AntPhillips gifted me the kit a fair few years ago I thought it would be nice to get it built ;)

To be fair Dan, you and Chris @stringbag helped me out immensely you took a load of kits of me at a fair price, the stash had got well out of hand and the funds raised from selling most of it off helped pay for our wedding 👍

This build is immense, I look forward to seeing it proceeding to the finish.

• Thanks 1

Cheers chaps, 

Just been reading up and J-063 has a kill, a Mig-29 taken down in 1999 in Kosovo. I’ll need to add the kill mark to the cockpit. One other thing noticed is that the dark grey used on the upper surface looks to be lacking in a blue hue. 
Time to play with a few more colours and hence why I’ve not added the walkway markings to the upper areas yet, procrastination at its best. :D

For the blue hue I’m thinking of fading out some of the access panels and then using Tamiya clear blue in certain areas to give a faded out effect? 

Radome needs darkening up as well.

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/988407/j-063-netherlands-air-force-general-dynamics-f-16a-fighting-falcon/

Regards 

Dan 

• Like 1

More decals and paint alterations, no Tamiya Clear Blue in the paint stocks 😞

I have a bottle somewhere but I'm not sure where so I used some medium blue thinned right down.

Once all the decals are on then they will get sealed in and a matt or satin varnish, I'll then hit it with a filter 

to unify it more. The camera has really brought out the blue more than real life.

Radome hit with chipping fluid and painted a darker grey, it was then chipped and scratched up, later i'll fade it out with oils.

P1110125

P1110127

P1110121

Mig kill decal found and applied 

P1110119

IFR markings added, again chipping fluid used to scratch up the door. Decal is still drying. 

P1110122

P1110124

P1110126

• Like 9