Hasegawa F-16 MLU Dutch Airforce

Dads203

7 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Wonderful build Dave and great photos!!

Cheers John :frantic:

Sorting out the underside now, pylons going on and some weathering up on the uder wing areas, drop tanks will be last as i need to fit the gear doors.

Some gun bast carbon deposits added - Yeah too much but my airbrusg coughed and sprayed a bit too much so i'll need to sort that later.

P1110132

P1110133

P1110131

P1110130

P1110129

P1110128

Regards

Dan 

• Like 7

Last few bits to do and add now, new wheels are ordered so should be here Thursday.

Noticed some scratches in the canopy so they will need polishing out, landing lights need scratching up on the nose gear door - More decals !! 

AIM-120's require sorting out - more decals ! 

Pilot needs some work as he isnt quite fitting in his office 

P1110137

P1110136

P1110138

P1110135

P1110136

• Like 7

Yes, that`s the correct wheels for the MLU`s. Keep the pictures coming!!

Wonderful stuff - when my new house is done in May (with my mancave👌) I will get back to modelling again! Cannot wait - maybe a Hasegawa NSAWC F-16A or B will be first up, thanks to your inspirational build! Or a F-16N.... or a RNoAF F-16A... or....

Cheers,

John

• Thanks 1

On 04/01/2022 at 09:01, ice315 said:

One thing... the black textblock beneath the rescue arrow, I miss the red lining... 🤔

These ones ?  ;)

P1110148

P1110149

P1110150

Points to note:- Rear canopy has been painted up now :frantic:

Scratch built the front gear door lights from clear sprue and painted up the doors, once cured a nice oil wash to bring out the details. 

P1110154

P1110156

Jamming pod fitted 

P1110157

P1110158

Nose gear weathered up with a black oil wash. 

P1110160

First AIM-120 gets some decals.

P1110152

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Really coming along well now Dan. Did you end up re-spraying the radome? You applied some chipping and scratches which were quite prominent but seemed to be less evident now?

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Cheers Chaps :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, coneheadff said:

How did you achieve such streight edges at the nose gear door lights?

2mm Tamiya tape Alex, just cut down and applied so nothing special mate.

2 hours ago, Pappy said:

Really coming along well now Dan. Did you end up re-spraying the radome? You applied some chipping and scratches which were quite prominent but seemed to be less evident now?

I think I over did the effect, the real thing is fibreglass so wouldn’t of been so pronounced, i gave it a quick re spray and I’ll have a play with some oils to fade out some areas. The real deal had massive variations in the tone of the radomes but I think most of this was down to dirt and fading.

Cheers for all the likes and comments :D

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

2mm Tamiya tape Alex, just cut down and applied so nothing special mate.

I think I over did the effect, the real thing is fibreglass so wouldn’t of been so pronounced, i gave it a quick re spray and I’ll have a play with some oils to fade out some areas. The real deal had massive variations in the tone of the radomes but I think most of this was down to dirt and fading.

Cheers for all the likes and comments :D

I am glad that you did because it did look a little weird but also agree 100% with the variation of radome colour, no two jets will be the same.

The underside modulation came up a treat but I  less convinced about the blue highlights but that is just me, looking forward to the finished item,

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pappy said:

I am glad that you did because it did look a little weird but also agree 100% with the variation of radome colour, no two jets will be the same.

The underside modulation came up a treat but I  less convinced about the blue highlights but that is just me, looking forward to the finished item,

cheers,

Pappy

Cheers Pappy, I was trying to get close or close ish to this:- 

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/988407/j-063-netherlands-air-force-general-dynamics-f-16a-fighting-falcon/

G'day Dan,

I can see where you are going with it but the panel shading along the edges breaks it up too much? If you let the oxidisatio (or whatever the effect is) transition across the different panels and just let the wash break out the panel details it would be closer to the ref pic, as is the dark tone looks a little too regular, but if you are happy with it just go with it. The underside looks alot more natural to my eye and really bteaks up an otherwise monotone expanse,

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Dan,

I can see where you are going with it but the panel shading along the edges breaks it up too much? If you let the oxidisatio (or whatever the effect is) transition across the different panels and just let the wash break out the panel details it would be closer to the ref pic, as is the dark tone looks a little too regular, but if you are happy with it just go with it. The underside looks alot more natural to my eye and really bteaks up an otherwise monotone expanse,

cheers,

Pappy

Cheers Pappy,

I know what you mean with the washed out blue on the fuselage, tbh its not quite what I hoped for and I was playing with some Mig Ammo shaders which I think are the main contibuting factor of it being to dark and broad around the panel lines. In reality the blue is very much emphasized  by my camera, not to say the blue isn't detactable by the eye though.  I'm going to have a play with oils later once I get all the decals on - its one of the main reasons on why the walkway decals havent been added yet as I might still play in the area to see if I can knock it back. 

Not much done tonight but the Viper stands on its own wheels - The correct ones  :thumbsup: 

A few more decals added around the cockpit. 

They are not glued yet as I need to add a few more bits of weathering yet to the brakes and hubs.

P1110170

P1110169

P1110168

P1110161

P1110167

P1110164

These accidentally rocked up in the post today :frantic:

These are for a future build - For when I get good at this modelling business, I have a couple of twin seat Hasegawa kits that could be pressed into service 

in the far future.  The Orpheous pod is included as part of the decal pack which is nice. They are very good decals whch have re enforced my thoughts that the Procal Decals which I used on this build are over sized 

P1110171

P1110172

Enjoy ! 

• Like 6

Another update chaps, been busy in other areas so the build as close as it is 

has slowed down a bit. 

IP and HUD done, very fiddly to get in place but its done, didnt help that it sits slightly too high 

so that the canopy wouldnt close fully, some carefull shaving of resin cured this.

P1110179

P1110174

P1110173

And the very slow process of putting two  "No Push "decals on each engine petal ! 

P1110177

P1110180

Enjoy 

Dan 

• Like 5

Very close now in actually finishing this project. 

First aircraft built since 2008 by Dads Modelwerks and I'm quite happy so far,

A few things worked and some didn't but its all a learning curve, with hindsight I would of changed a few things 

and those will happen when I build another F-16. 

Walkway decals on the upper surfaces - (Still procrastinating ) :frantic:

AIM-120's finishing and fitting. 

Mainplane static wicks. 

Fit the pilot. 

Flat varnish and final weathering - panel wash etc. 

Its not a bad kit considering the first boxing came out in the 1980's, so the question has been asked what is next? I really don't know is the answer 

but I'm sure something will end up on clean ish desk in the next few days post viper build. 

P1110184

P1110183

P1110181

P1110182

P1110185

P1110186

P1110187

P1110189

• Like 9

So walkway decals on and so far so good, some silvering close to the panel lines on the wings but I think I can sort those.

P1110193

P1110194

P1110197

P1110198

P1110199

P1110196

P1110192

Canopy isn't yet glued on, i might do a touch more yet to the pilot.

• Like 9