Hasegawa F-16 MLU Dutch Airforce

Dads203

Stolen ideas .. @Rich F Take a bow mate and I hope you dont mind me plagerising your build.

Archer decals for the rivets, Nice resin rivets printed onto clear decal film.

P1090857

To be added to the rear of the cockpit, still more to add but these will get sealed in with some Kleer before priming as they are fragile. Just adds a bit more interest to the area 

and its on the real deal. 

P1090855

P1090854

P1090856

Next is the intake, not as good as i wanted it to be as the plastic is Uber brittle, it just shattered when I fitted the front gear bay but its close enough.

masking was a bit tricky but I gth there in the end - Just took time. More tricky masking for the top coat but should be worth it.  MRP paints BTW, the Dutch vipers 

look like the lip is exposed metal of a grey colour so I went with duraluminium  ;)

The Hasegawa kit of the F-16 is a right mare to get a good intake, it will never be perfect due to the design of the thing. 

P1090859

P1090861

P1090860

P1090858

Enjoy 

• Like 8

Cheers Guys :thumbsup:

The pitot tube is not glued in yet so is removable and the static probes go into the radome by about 5-6mm so are really in well, the down side 

is that they are like two needles poking out the side :o

So tonight, not much movement as the bits done were more time consuming than I thought.

Behind the cockpit is a small vent, it had a grill so i tried to make this from plastic card and failed badly.

In the end I used one of the empty flare buckets cut down and shaped up to make the grill.  

P1090863

Next up were the fuselage protector plates for the arrester hook, I also added what i think is the fuel dump tube? 

P1090864

P1090865

VHF blade antenna got a new base at the same time. 

P1090866

And the intake vane got painted and fitted. Thats about it really - Not much to show tonight plus the CnC home front is back home from a 10 day work trip tomorrow

my time on build duty will be reduced.   :o

P1090868

Enjoy 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 10:54 PM, Dads203 said:

Stolen ideas .. @Rich F Take a bow mate and I hope you dont mind me plagerising your build.

Not at all mate, glad i can be of use :D  

Didn't think you would see the light and move over from targets to wingy thingy's. lol!

Great work BTW, looks like this is going to be a stunner as per usual ;)

• Thanks 1

Tonight we tackle the ECM pod from Brassin.  The Klu Vipers seem to carry these quite alot, some all grey and some green.

P1090879

P1090878

We are going for a green one as the jet is grey so I used MRP RAF Green, looked to be a good match.

First up after priming is painting the radome band a metallic colour. So again out came the MRP white aluminium 

over tamiya gloss black laquer. It was then masked up and the green applied.

P1090869

P1090871

P1090872

Then more masking 

P1090874

And the radome covers were painted in MRP tyre black - masking removed 

P1090875

P1090876

P1090880

P1090881

Decals and then a varnish followed by a wash to make the details pop.

Enjoy 

• Like 8

A bit of further detailing on the pod, noticed that most of the fastners had the paint warn away or the fastners were just bare metal.

They were very prominent from the photo's that I have found so I had a crack at getting looking right.

Applied Vallejo Natural Steel with... dare I say it a toothpick sharpened up :frantic:

P1090882

P1090883

Messed about with the burner can, highlighting with some Mig amo Bluish Titanium. Not applied with a toothpick ! :o

P1090889

P1090888

P1090887

P1090886

P1090885

P1090884

Enjoy 

• Like 8

If you are going to mount the ALQ-131 at the centerline pylon, it might probably not fit. The Dutch used the shallow version of the ECM pod. The one you have is the deep version.... 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ice315 said:

If you are going to mount the ALQ-131 at the centerline pylon, it might probably not fit. The Dutch used the shallow version of the ECM pod. The one you have is the deep version.... 

Pylon is modified to take the deep version.. Oh well - looks like I bought the wrong one :o

Ignore the ECM pod and just use it as a guide chaps on a how too 

Still awaiting the new shallow 131 pod but cracking on, some bits done and I've roughed out the RWR 

for the tail of the aircraft, these still need blending in and contouring up a bit more. 

You can see that I've been blending in the resin tail extension a bit more and totally obliterated the panel lines, next will a job with a scriber I think? 

P1090894

P1090895

P1090897

P1090892

Also painted up the rear of the cockpit area so I can fix the rear canopy at some point.

A tad of overspray but noting too serious but a bit more detail painting and hghlighting yet. 

P1090890

P1090891

Anyone got a late Hasegawa Gun Port? The one I have is an early and incorrect - The one I'm after is the two gill version. 

I could probably alter the version that I have but I thinking I might screw it up. 

The wrong one :- Now Sorted out 🙂 

P1090899

Enjoy 

• Like 3

Scab plates going onto the fuselage, some Klu vipers have them where as I have seen photo's with none,

I can only presume that the airframes with none are low hour or brand new (ish). Did the MLU upgrade 

remove these? 

The Daco book doesnt give much away about them apart from all versions have some but doesnt mention the MLU or later blocks, I presume that the 

later block 50's onwards were re-enforced during build so they dont require them? 

P1090900

P1090901

P1090902

P1090903

Enjoy 

• Like 5

New AN/ALQ Shallow pod arrived today along with the gun port. 

P1090908

P1090909

The RAM plates on the nose were not looking great from the Cross Delta set, my doing as I creased one of them so I ripped them off and made new plastic ones.

They will get fettled in better.

P1090904

The rest of the scab plates fitted on the spine.

P1090905

P1090906

Quick test fit of the canopy, now I think i read that the MLU update fleet are doing away with the yellow tinted canopies and going back to clear? 

Is this correct - I have seen a few pictures with Vipers showing a clear front canopy with the yellow tinted rear ? 

Canopy needs polishing up yet, its full of scratches at this point in time.  

P1090907

So a long list of things to do yet before primer, 

Sand - Scribe- Rivet - not in that order :frantic:

Enjoy 

• Like 7

Glad the gun port arrived safe and sound. I'll keep following your build and hopefully it'll help push me to finally finish my two. They won't be up to your standard though. You're doing great work whereas I got into a life or death struggle with an Aires exhaust and it won.

• Thanks 1

Cheers chaps for all the likes and comments.

So i have started cleaning up the AN/ALQ131 pod (again) but this time the right version. Pylon has been modified 

and sway braces added. ELGTR round is above the 131 pod. Lovely bit of 3D printing :frantic:

P1090911

More on the ELGTR round. 

P1090914

The bomb is encased in a protective sprue with separate seeker head and pyro charge. 

P1090915

Seams removed and canopies polished up, I used this ? 

P1090919

P1090918

P1090920

P1090921

Enjoy 

• Like 2