Hasegawa F-16 MLU Dutch Airforce

Dads203

Getting ready to close up the fuselage now so the main gear bay needs some paint, primed using Halfords finest and 

then a shot of vallejo white.

These are the HAD models gear bays and superb they are, they fit like a dream. Just got to detail paint the things now :o

P1090797

P1090796

P1090798

P1090799

The pods and things that will eventually hang off it all get some primer.

P1090800

P1090801

Slow progress I'm afraid. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Dads203 said:

slightly out of my normal range of modelling genre but very enjoyable to do. 

I know what you mean but shhh :tapedshut: someone might hear!

Did an eduard 109 a little while ago and, well.....:pilot:

Good luck with the gear bay, sure it'll be nothing but fun!

27 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Slow progress I'm afraid. 

What do they say, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast..." 

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

Oil wash added and test fitted, a few more areas have been tidied up but its almost done now.

P1090813

P1090808

P1090812

P1090810

P1090809

P1090807

The bay has just been taped in for the moment, final fitting will be soon, any gaps will get filled with magic sculpt. 

Enjoy 

• Like 10

Cheers Steve & Kev :thumbsup:

Sitrep as at 17:00 Zulu.

Fuselage is joined up, gear bay is in and the cockpit. back end bits added and the tracks wings are on. Moving quickly now.

P1090818

P1090821

P1090817

The two tail lights have been drilled out and clear sprue added to better replicate the tail lights, these are used to illuminate the tail and Hasegawa got them wrong.

They will get polished up and masked before painting. 

P1090814

P1090819

P1090820

Enjoy

• Like 6

Cheers chaps, i've done a bit more late last night so will post more pic's later 

9 minutes ago, James G said:

Nice work, looking good! Question on the mfd's, what glue did you use to fix down the foil?

James the foil is self adhesive so really easy to use, the hardest part is removing the clear backing :frantic: I bought it from Hannats and you get enough probably to last a lifetime. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SXA20023

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Hook said:

Lovely! Have you decided on a specific squadron just yet? 

Cheers,

Andre 

15 minutes ago, ice315 said:

A Twenthe AFB squadron..? 😍

Nothing concrete yet chaps :frantic: I need to do some research on the Squadron that flew recce in Bosnia back in 1995, they overflew our location several times 

taking photo's and popping flares. My version of the 16 is a much later time frame but I'll pop on the sqn codes and markings as I'm sure the jets would of gone through the modernisation 

programme at some point.

The Netherlands Air Force started the F-16 MLU update in 1995. If you do a "operation Deny Flight" F-16 (1995) it probably would have been a F-16A instead of a F-16AM.

Quote of a former KLu F-16 pilot: "Above Bosnia 'Beyond Visual Range'-missiles (AAM-120) were not available. The Dutch F-16's were standard equiped with 4 AIM-9L Sidewinders".

The first 3 months the Dutch flew above Bosnia it was 306 sqn. for recce. After that period the interceptors took over the task. (315 and 322 sqn.)

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ice315 said:

The Netherlands Air Force started the F-16 MLU update in 1995. If you do a "operation Deny Flight" F-16 (1995) it probably would have been a F-16A instead of a F-16AM.

Quote of a former KLu F-16 pilot: "Above Bosnia 'Beyond Visual Range'-missiles (AAM-120) were not available. The Dutch F-16's were standard equiped with 4 AIM-9L Sidewinders".

The first 3 months the Dutch flew above Bosnia it was 306 sqn. for recce. After that period the interceptors took over the task. (315 and 322 sqn.)

Looks like it could be a 306 sqn jet but much later in its life :thumbsup: 

As for load out I'm looking at ACMI pod, ELGTR practice rounds and two MK76 pracice bombs on the twin stores carrier. I'll pop a couple of AIM-120's on the tips and a single AIM-9 on the last hard point. This however could change !! 

ELGTR round:- 

lockheed_martin_paveway-ii-elgtr

And the practice bomb carrier , Harris MALTs 2 ;-

https://www.l3harris.com/sites/default/files/2020-09/l3harris-malts-data-sheet-sas.pdf

Thrown the kitchen sink at this exhaust, more titavation and painting. more MRP metallics on the turkey feathers.

I think I'm close now ? :frantic:

Added some PE Flare buckets as they were better than the kit moldings 

P1090843

P1090842

P1090844

P1090845

P1090846

P1090847

P1090848

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Smashing job on the business end,the tail feathers look tops, i shall search out those bird slicers for a hasegawa hellenic f-4e I'm collecting parts for, 

Cheers Fella :thumbsup:

The bird slicers come with the Aires F-16 MLU Cockpit set so if you are building a F-16 in the future it might be worth it.  

• Thanks 1

Front end, things are shaping up a bit more, static probes and pitot by Cross Delta added.

Also some blister type antenna with the Cross Delta RAM panels - I might replace these with plastic card yet 

as they are too proud?

P1090852

P1090850

P1090853

P1090851

Enjoy 

• Like 5