Hasegawa F-16 MLU Dutch Airforce

Dads203

Been a while since I've posted as I've been busy with sorting out the house. Major works going on since May and now my builder has covid 

so i've cleared the decks in the workshop for some light building. 

So I know i'll get a ribbing for this thats for sure but what the hell ;) (Tiger on Temp hold ------- Dont worry, i'll be back on it soon) 

Quite a few years ago popped down to see Ant Phillips @AntPhillips and the generous chap gave me this little kit as a gift.

It had been started but not very much at all - you could say more taken off the sprues than any real building. 

P1090747

I've played with this kit over the years and chopped it about with a view of making one of the Dutch Airforce Vipers that i have seen and worked with whilst on tour.

I've got some decals and AM bits to pop into this build, I missed the GB as i couldn't commit, just too much work going on in the house. 

Aires Office area that i'll use.  Pilot torso is from the kit, helmet is from the Hasegawa F-16D block 50 kit, made some alterations of the figure. Life vest etc 

P1090739

P1090740

P1090741

Had models wheel wells, these were fun as the one part that was assembled was the intake - I had to take it apart to get the nose gear bay in and had much fun in doing so, the plastic had became very brittle over the years.

P1090735

Eduard wheels made for the tamiya kit but fit a treat with some modifacation to the kit hubs. 

P1090743

P1090749

P1090742

Tail end, Wolfpack resin for the Tamiya kit - extended parabrake , altered to fit the Hasegawa kit. It was only slightly wider than the Hasegawa tail so a touch of sanding back was required. 

P1090737

A few bits to hang off the pylons - Eduard Brassin bits.

P1090746

Modified ECM 131 pylon, cut down drop tank centre line pylon.  It will get some sway braces yet . 

P1090744

Wingtip launchers, LAU-128's for AIM120's Robbed from a another Hasegawa F-16 kit. Flaps cut out so I can drop them later. 

P1090738

Back end details - PW exhaust i think ?

P1090748

P1090750

And the decals , stencils from for a Greek F-16 look to be the same as the Dutch Vipers, these are very well detailed decals. 

P1090751

P1090752

Lets see what an Armour modeller can do with this little lot !! 

Enjoy.

• Like 22

• Dads203 changed the title to Hasegawa F-16 MLU Dutch Airforce

Hi mate, looks great so far. Is that a canopy decal with pilots helmet above ?? Never seen anything like this before. Not sure I'm a big fan as you would certainly get more detail out of doing the cockpit yourself, especially where you're heading with the added detail. Maybe its something that would be used for a more "low detail" desktop display ?

Look forward to following the build.

Cheers

JJ

• Thanks 1

It no good hiding up here out of the mud, I wont let on if you don't! :whistle:

As someone said, a change is as good as a rest...

But a wingy-thing. :pilot:

Nice to see you back on the bench. Looks an interesting project, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

I love the Hasegawa F-16 kits ad this looks like it's going to be very good build.

Is that the Aires PW exhaust? I had an absolute nightmare fitting it when I used one. I ended up having to use half of a kit part due to fit issues and I lost some detail on the resin parts because I had to sand so much to get a fit. Interested to see if it was just me making a complete mess of it or whether they aren't a great fit.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dads203 said:

.........Quite a few years ago popped down to see Ant Phillips @AntPhillips and the generous chap gave me this little kit as a gift.

It had been started but not very much at all - you could say more taken off the sprues than any real building. 

Wow Dan, I remember that visit very well, you and Chris ( @stringbag ) relieved me of a fair bit of the stash that would certainly never get built in my lifetime, I reckon it must be getting on for 12 years ago now as the funds raised went into our wedding fund and me & Gill celebrated our 11th Anniversary earlier this year.

It doesn't look like you're using too much of the original kit though, I'll be sure to follow along as it's always good to see one of my ex's getting the treatment (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, if you know what I mean) 😉 🤣

Happy modelling

Ant

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2021 at 12:00, AntPhillips said:

Wow Dan, I remember that visit very well, you and Chris ( @stringbag ) relieved me of a fair bit of the stash that would certainly never get built in my lifetime, I reckon it must be getting on for 12 years ago now as the funds raised went into our wedding fund and me & Gill celebrated our 11th Anniversary earlier this year.

It doesn't look like you're using too much of the original kit though, I'll be sure to follow along as it's always good to see one of my ex's getting the treatment (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, if you know what I mean) 😉 🤣

Happy modelling

Ant

Was it that long ago Ant?  :o Doesn’t feel like that long ago  at all mate.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:38 PM, Dads203 said:

stencils from for a Greek F-16 look to be the same as the Dutch Vipers

Mostly - a unique Dutch addition is the black block with a red edge and white text under the "Rescue" arrows. See: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hetebrij/31413841044

Excellent subject, and work so far, BTW! Pulling up the proverbial chair. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

Cheers chaps, 

The Dutch warning signs are in the dutch decal set so they will go on, one question though, are the RNLAF Vipers the same greys as the USAF cousins? 

Just asking for a friend you see :o 

A few more bits to aid in the conversion.

P1090753

P1090754

P1090755

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

are the RNLAF Vipers the same greys as the USAF cousins

Yes, the standard three grays as per the first USAF standard scheme. Your friend has great taste as well. ;)

Cheers,

Andte

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/09/2021 at 19:19, Hook said:

Oh, and the stiffener plates are suitable for a Dutch bird as well. 

Cheers,

Andre

Note: not all of the stiffener plates in the Crossdelta set are used by the Dutch. Check your ref's and photo's.... 😉

Greetz,

Peter

Edited by ice315
  • Thanks 1

Cheers chaps,

A bit more done, still prep work and boring stuff,

Resin pylons cleaned up and test fitted, the kit pylons are dire, no detail so they were replaced with an AM set.

P1090756

P1090757

P1090763

Kit drop tank, not the best but I've made a start on scribing some of the detail - I hate scribing just so you all know.

Fins modified as the Hasegawa tanks are not the same as in service tank fins.

P1090758

P1090759

And more work on the intake, again Hasegawa scrimpt on this area, its beyond basic and is really tough to fill.

P1090760

P1090761

Back to the scribing :huh:

• Like 9

Good to see the Master back with another OOB build 😉

Love to see you try and fill that drop tank at the petrol station in the current climate :rofl2:

Do carry on my entertainment has been sadly lacking of late

Stay safe

Kev

• Thanks 1

Cheers chaps,

So the last few days I've been painting up the cockpit, its just basic blocking in with a small amount of detail work 

thats gone into it so far - most of it has been done with an airbrush. Loads to do yet so stay tuned.

P1090766

P1090767

P1090768

Enjoy 

• Like 9

Cheers Andre, very useful indeed :thumbsup: 

Some more painting done on the pit plus a few decals on the seat. next up to seal them in and a blast of varnish followed by a wash to bring out the detail more. 

P1090785

P1090776

P1090773

P1090782

Been playing with the drop tanks and getting the mountings done.

P1090772

Anyway, enjoy folks 

• Like 7

Working on the instrument panel and thought Id try this stuff for the MFD's  :- 

P1090786

Which looks like this, its sticky backed  so a breeze to use.

P1090787

Appologies for my phots, i think my camera is playing up.

Base of the MFD is pure black.

P1090790

P1090788

P1090789

I dont think its too bad, probably not like the real deal and its not really going to be seen but its all practice.

Enjoy

• Like 6