New Zvezda 1/72 Hurricane Mk IIC

IanC

This is Zvezda's new 'snap fit' Hurricane. I didn't enjoy doing this one as much as their earlier Bf 109F. One problem is the way the wing halves go together, with an awkward and difficult to remove join line which runs diagonally across the flaps. Other parts are a bit crude but then that's to be expected when no glue is required. Two excellent pilots are included, though - an RAF bod and his Soviet equivalent. I chose not to use the kit decals, preferring to do this very famous aircraft flown by the CO of No. 87 Squadron, Denis 'Splinters' Smallwood.      

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I repositioned the pilot's head to add a bit of movement, and gave him a colourful silk scarf!

spacer.png

All the best,

Ian

• Like 56

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

That's scrubbed up rather well Ian,  and the prop spinner looks better than it did on the CAD drawings...  

:goodjob:

cheers

T

Many thanks Troy. Good spot - I actually sanded the spinner down a bit to improve the shape.

54 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very good looking Hurricane! What impresses me most is the super smooth finish.

What is your secret for attaining such a silky surface, I wonder?

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim. I like to polish the paintwork at various stages using Micromesh and Flory polishing sticks. I also rub various pigments in using a Mk 1 finger!   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cngaero said:

That looks really good Ian and every inch a Hurricane.

I like the very impressive pilot figure, I just wish more manufacturers would include something like that wee chap.

Cheers Chris. Zvezda do some really nice figures. I honestly think he's the best bit in this kit! That and the very reasonable price. 😀

• Like 1

Lovely work Ian, she's gorgeous! Really looks the part.  

8 hours ago, IanC said:

One problem is the way the wing halves go together, with an awkward and difficult to remove join line which runs diagonally across the flaps.

In what universe was that a good idea?!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, k5054nz said:

In what universe was that a good idea?!

Yep. It allows for a finer trailing edge, but I really don't understand why they couldn't follow the flap hinge lines. Same with the wrap around leading edge, which again gives an awkward join to fill. 

7 hours ago, BerndM said:

Smashing Hurricane in a great scheme.

Looks that there is no shortage of new tool Hurricane kits in 1:72.

Thanks. We're spoilt for choice. And this one is cheap. I paid £7.50 here in the UK. But, leaving postage out of the equation, I see that the basic Arma Hobby Mk IIC is available for £11.69. So on reflection I'm not sure it's quite such a bargain after all... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, IanC said:

Yep. It allows for a finer trailing edge, but I really don't understand why they couldn't follow the flap hinge lines. Same with the wrap around leading edge, which again gives an awkward join to fill. 

Thanks. We're spoilt for choice. And this one is cheap. I paid £7.50 here in the UK. But, leaving postage out of the equation, I see that the basic Arma Hobby Mk IIC is available for £11.69. So on reflection I'm not sure it's quite such a bargain after all... 

After all you have a fine result for your display. The Arma kit is probably the kit to get.

• Like 1

Very impressive - I would never have known it was a snap-together kit!

That's definitely one of the more natural-looking pilot figures I've seen in 1/72 also!

A very fine replica all-round!

:clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, IanC said:

Many thanks Troy. Good spot - I actually sanded the spinner down a bit to improve the shape.

Thanks Joachim. I like to polish the paintwork at various stages using Micromesh and Flory polishing sticks. I also rub various pigments in using a Mk 1 finger!   

Excellent build. I just picked one of these up today to try..

What grade Micromesh do you use out of curiosity?

• Thanks 1

Overall black finishes are difficult to pull off, especially in a smaller scale, as they tend to look like a plastic or die cast toy and not a metal airplane, but you have done it! Is the black painted over a silver/aluminum undercoat? Very nice tribute to do Smallwood's Hurricane, too! I would never have guessed this was a snap-together model- looks like Zvezda did almost as good a job as they did on their Fw-190A-4  a few years back. Thanks for sharing your work. :like:

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NavyWessex said:

What grade Micromesh do you use out of curiosity?

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Overall black finishes are difficult to pull off, especially in a smaller scale, as they tend to look like a plastic or die cast toys and not a metal airplane, but you have done it! Is the black painted over a silver/aluminum undercoat?

Thank you both.  No undercoat or primer - I just gave the model an overall coat of Mr Hobby gloss black. which was further polished with 6000 and 8000 grade Micromesh (and the Flory buffing sticks) and the decals applied. These were sealed with Winsor & Newton satin varnish. I then brushed or rubbed in small amounts of black, dark grey and brown pigments to various areas, and then sealed them with another coat of varnish. Finally I applied exhaust stains and a bit of dirt with lighter pigments and added some exposed areas of metal with a silver pencil. 

Best wishes,

Ian

• Thanks 1