JR's second Emil. Airfix 1/72 Bf 109 E-4. A late finisher of the Bf 109 GB.

jean

Hi everyone,

The Bf 109 GB finished a couple of weeks ago, but my Bf 109 E-4 only crossed the line today.

Although I had not finished this model when the GB ended, the main delay is due to my dropping my cutting mat with a lot of clutter on it, on top of the pretty much finished model.... That proved nasty for my mojo.

Anyway, when I gathered the courage to look at it again, I realized I could fix it, even though every single small part had hit the road.

So here it is, photographed today in the early afternoon sun.

That is when I realized two things; 

1 - the stretched sprue I used for the aerial is far too thick. But it will stay that way until the day I break it through sheer clumsiness.

2 - I forgot to paint the wing tip lights. I will pass for now (see sheer clumsiness above).

This is built to depict the 109 E-4 of Gerhard Schopfel, Staffelkapitan of 9/JG 26. I have only added 8 victory marks, as that is all I could find, and the plane is supposed to have a yellow fanion on the aerial mast. On that day it was being washed by his faithful mechanics, so I omitted it!

Here are some photos of my first 109 with a red Cerberus under the cockpit!

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 30

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 31

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 32

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 34

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 35

Bf 109 E-4 GB Photo 36

I am a real fans of the BoB Emils, so there will be more.

It was a fun and exciting GB. Have fun everyone!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 19

2 hours ago, jean said:

dropping my cutting mat with a lot of clutter on it, on top of the pretty much finished model....

Well done JR, the battle damage doesn't mar it's appearance, you wouldn't know,  so you did great repairs! Looks great.

2 hours ago, jean said:

I forgot to paint the wing tip lights.

I did exactly the same with my Bf 109 G-2 'Black 6'!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your nice words.

I just found out some more information on the yellow 1 of 9/JG 26 during the BoB.

Schopfel got his 8th victory on the 12 of August 1940. On the 18th of August he shot down four Hurricanes, bringing his score up to 12.

These are the well known photos I used as reference to paint my model:  Schopfel's mechanics busy putting the finishing touches to the 12th victory mark.

The fact that I could only source 8 victory marks stupidly worried me! Go figure.

Well, no more; my 109 is depicted as it was between the 13th and the 17th August 1940. Now I can sleep!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 2