Sikorski H-19/S-55 Chickasaw 1/48 MikroMir/AMP

Vit Grossmann

Dear fellow modellers,

looks like the long awaited and famous copter will finaly get a decent new tooling from AMP!

No longer need for the 70 years old ugly 1/50 Revell...

I contributed a little bit with warm suggestions and materials/service manuals... First drafted 3D preview can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/mikro.mir.dnepr/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Unfortunately my Facebook Account seemed to get lost a while back when I declined to give them home and mobile phone numbers so unable to to view the Facebook preview but what excellent news , very much looking forward to it Vit.

This is excellent news, but I hope the already-announced 1/48 Gazelle and TH-55 are not affected, let alone the later model Huskies.

One also wonders if the Wasp which I believe was being tooled for S&M will ever see the light of day...

Jon

• Like 5

Well, it depends what you expect - its going to be short-run, with PE parts, possibly some resins, with some future options for aftermarket (wheels and decals do already exist for the Granny Revell as is the resin R-1340 engine...).

I have few AMP copters in 1/48 and they are fine - but compare them to H-34 from Gallery/Trumpeter and e.g. A-1H Tamiya - and this is far away and expecting this can result in dissapointment.

But still - so far AMP got everything quite decent and buildable with few solvable odds here and there... (eg the clear parts needs polishing and attention with 3 step Tamiya polishing paste...flash here, putty there...)

You can get better understanding by seeing their previous work here:

https://www.kitreviewsonline.de/sikorsky-ho3s-1-s-51-in-148-von-amp-48001/

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/AMP/48001_Sikorsky_HO3S-1/Sikorsky_HO3S-1.html

And on this forum as well as there are nice builds listed:

My HUP kit looks better btw. - so depends... short-run...

• Like 2

This fantastic news as I had dreaded having to build the Revell kit.  There are so many really nice color schemes available.   I will echo the prior comment just so readers are aware it is a short run kit: from my Hiller Hornet parts need clean-up but the fit is excellent.  Generally lack locating pins and expect directions a bit fuzzy at times on part locations.  I got photo etch, masks, and a bit of resin so everything you need to make it come out looking pretty good is there with some work.  Decals were excellent which was very nice.  So I will buy this one and tackle the two more AMP's I have.  Also need to post my Hornet!

3 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

As the previous poster said; I hope the TH-55 is NOT affected. 🤔

Hear hear! 

I have a Revell S-55 build that's languished for a while due to paint issues. This has taken even more wind out of my sails!

• Like 3

On 20/09/2021 at 17:38, Jon Bryon said:

This is excellent news, but I hope the already-announced 1/48 Gazelle and TH-55 are not affected, let alone the later model Huskies.

One also wonders if the Wasp which I believe was being tooled for S&M will ever see the light of day...

Jon

My thoughts exactly Jon! The release policy of some model manufacturers has an astonishing similarity to my style of modelling: I start a new kit almost every week but most of them still have to be finished...

Gertjan

• Like 2

Oh my, AMP has done it again. They target my wallet with the precision of a cruise missile 😆 Seems my Revell kit, which I finally managed to hunt down after a long time, will not be built anytime soon...well played AMP.

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

The nose looks a little squashed?

Should not be. MM do have a lot of detailed data... the first renders might be bit stretched etc. Previous AMP copter releases were quite accurate...

Edited by Vit Grossmann
typos

16 hours ago, sinistervampire319 said:

About time!
Caracal decals did 2 sheets for the old Revell kit. Wonder if they will work on this kit?
Probably have to redo them.

I don't think I will redo or even reprint them - they had a great run, and I still have enough to last through the first few months of the excitement of the new kit. I design my decals against correctly dimensioned drawings.

In fact, Caracal CD48131 has two sets of US Coast Guard badges, one to fit on the grossly inaccurate Revell kit door and another pair to fit a correctly dimensioned future kit - it looks I was right to include them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to this but hopefully cranked tail, deep lower fuselage with weapons bay for FAA versions and with any luck the turbine nose for later RAF /FAA ones will be catered for. 

Only Corgi in diecast have provided all these options in their tooling so far. 

Edited by sniperUK

On 9/20/2021 at 8:42 PM, Scimitar F1 said:

Let’s hope that they do a Whirlwind as well. They have that great Archaic look.

I thought that too, but the early pics do not show the 'cranked' tail boom, so looks like only the early Sikorsky versions so far.

The Westland Whirlwind Srs1, HAR.1 & 2s were straight boom as were initial production versions of the HAR.3 and HAR.4, the drooped boom was introduced sometime during their production run.  I believe Sikorsky and Westland introduced it as a mod after it was found that rotor blade tips could touch the tail during some conditions.

An easy recognition item (some pics can be ambiguous) between the booms is the tailplane, with an inverted V type fitted to straight booms and a straight tailplane fitted to drooped ones.

If the proper planning goes into the design of this kit from early on, then many S-55 and Whirlwind variants could be produced from it, the main fuselage and cockpit/gearbox hump didn't change throughout its life, just the slightly drooped boom, and noses were where the structural changes occurred.

Mikromir/AMP deserve to make a killing on this, especially if it's as nice as their Dragonfly, I can't believe that such an important helicopter that saw extensive worldwide civil and military has been lacking in a decent kit.

If they get this right I would by multiples of S-55, H-19 Chickasaw, HO4S & HRS Sea Horse, and  Whirlwinds!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...