KORA resin, Swedish Tummelisa Ö1 (Thumbalina), 1/72nd scale...

Now this is cute.  If there is one good thing about moving house it is that I was able to do some inventory.  I found this one buried in a box of other kits.  I remember buying it years ago and stating it  (and damaging the cowling when I started☹️)...so there is a different cowling on this one.  It looks the same, just not resin.  Anyway...

51494954272_eabc2ecaeb_c_d.jpg

The wiki page is good and has some images of a reproduction that flies...good for rigging diagram and colour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FVM_Ö1_Tummelisa

Resin, some PE...

51495967828_36d163e8c2_c_d.jpg

Your basic exploded instructions...

51495746881_56274bf04f_c_d.jpg

And markings options.  I like the 'heart' so I am going for that.

51495968018_72fcf28b6b_c_d.jpg

I'll start in on it later tonight with a clean up of the parts, etc...drill the very few rigging holes.

--John

• Like 13

Nice. This is another plane I wanted to build, didn’t know there was a kit. Will follow with interest.

Here’s a photo of your object, the Ace of Hearts, with someone named Axelsson in the pit, clearly showing the unorthodox aileron design:

032waW2QcqKT?filename=FVMF.003054.jpg&di

It was a well-liked little thing, and there’s some good public-domain photos available:

https://digitaltmuseum.se/search/?q=tummelisa&o=0&n=80

• Like 2

Oh, and searching the same page with its official name gives some additional results:

https://digitaltmuseum.se/search/?q=tummeliten fvm&o=0&n=80

The orginal offical name was Tummeliten (fairy tale character ”Little Thumb”), but the pilots starting calling it Tummelisa (Thumbelina) from reasons probably not entirely suitable for a family-friendly forum.

2 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Oh nice! That is an interesting subject!

Thanks. I agree.  Something a bit different.

4 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

from reasons probably not entirely suitable for a family-friendly forum.

PM me the reason please!

Here's what i have to work with...

51496882878_0f241f9cf2_c_d.jpg

Wings and fuselage are very nicely moulded...

51497377484_d894f57f0a_c_d.jpg

Note the damaged cowling.  My fault!  I will use this injection moulded piece. I think it is from a Bristol fighter of one sort or another.

I will have to scratch built the cabane struts and probably the landing gear struts.  The interplane seem alright.  Some brass wire will come into play.

51497377574_c4723184a6_c_d.jpg

Old style PE.  Looks alright.

51495874362_b505caca14_c_d.jpg

So there we are.  I'll dig in tomorrow.

--John

• Like 6

On 20/09/2021 at 15:10, Torbjorn said:

Oh, and searching the same page with its official name gives some additional results:

https://digitaltmuseum.se/search/?q=tummeliten fvm&o=0&n=80

The orginal offical name was Tummeliten (fairy tale character ”Little Thumb”), but the pilots starting calling it Tummelisa (Thumbelina) from reasons probably not entirely suitable for a family-friendly forum.

Well, it's no more innuendo than the regular Ced thread...

It has a tendency to roll in the air, and always end up flying on it's back.

This will very much be an interesting topic!

I must say that the resin pieces looks quite good?

• Haha 1

Typical resin kit, but nicely made anyway....some fettling required.  The instructions say to attach the inner spars to the cockpit floor.  I tried that.  Didn't fit too well, so I glued the spars to the interior of the fuselage (red circle).  That worked.  The turtledeck and headrest area...the turtledeck needs to be hollowed out a bit so it fits above the seat back with the headrest attached (green circle).  And the motor is very nice but the pushrods and coolant pipes need be separated and then bent inwards once the CA is set up (blue circle).  None of this is difficult but requires some test fitting etc...I did away with the PE harness.  I lost a piece then a second...tiny things.  Masking tape came in handy.

51502474582_b45d22bd14_c_d.jpg

Speaking of tiny...control horns!  Two on the lower wing, two on the stabilizer and a third "double" on the rudder.  There are moulded horns on the rudder but I sanded them off and used a saw to create a gap for the PE piece.  They actually have holes in them for rigging line.  Hmmm....

51503988484_50e4530317_c_d.jpg

Now.  I really have to get back to the three other aircraft on the bench.  I have been lax in my obsession.  Decals for the Mystére; some paint for the Dornier and some work on the Tripe.

--John

• Like 12

wow what a nice wee bi-plane, something new to the build and it's resin as well!!!  🥰  :thumbsup:

Fro those pictures it does look to be a nicely cast model.

Off to a great start I see as well, good luck with this one, will be following.

On 9/25/2021 at 1:20 AM, trickyrich said:

wow what a nice wee bi-plane, something new to the build and it's resin as well!!!  🥰  :thumbsup:

Fro those pictures it does look to be a nicely cast model.

Off to a great start I see as well, good luck with this one, will be following.

Thanks Rich.  All of the above are correct.

On 9/25/2021 at 1:19 PM, Grandboof said:

Good luck with this

Thanks Martin.  I'll some more work on it tonight.

On 9/25/2021 at 3:38 PM, Paramedic said:

Yeah seems a little messy, but nicely laboured!

Not really.  Nicely moulded resin, no bubbles.  Some thin parts need replacing/strengthening.  Not unusual at all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hewy said:

Great job so far john, It does look minuscule 

Thanks Hewy...

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

agree, she's coming along very nicely I see.

...and thank you Rich.  Yes.  I have a couple of days with some free time so I hope to make some more inroads.

I have attached the motor, the cowling, and painted the prop.  I will have to add some filler and perhaps a thin piece of Evergreen to fill in the gap around the cowling.  I had to use this because I damaged the original resin cowling during clean-up.  

51560710674_8605dc9076_c_d.jpg

51560710644_688c690b92_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

Boy...that is some junky clunky resin small bits.  Looks alright from one side...

51562165288_d0cb612c88_c_d.jpg

The other side...?  Yikes!  Time to scratch build some pieces...

51561918506_95e16636c1_c_d.jpg

Interplane struts from precious Contrail pieces...landing gear fro Evergreen and scrap.  I'll mount the tope wing first then build the cabane struts to fit.  That's the easiest way to do this.  Oh yes...I must drill rigging holes first...

51561131597_097ce87840_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Paramedic said:

That´s lovely, almost cool as a monoplane too..! ;) A5M4-ish?

But it will be even better with both wings!

I agree.  Many thanks.  I am happily past the gloopy resin parts...

• Like 2