The other Tim's 1/48 Academy/Minicraft Model Kits Grumman F-14A Tomcat - BUNO 160913 NSAWC

Tim Moff

Although busy with 2 x Phantoms, I will pop this in here as a sideline....

OnKtqQS.jpg

LSX8ZQz.jpg

ilmiM5b.jpg

SDSvhJL.jpg

QBiWRWq.jpg

GERN5hN.jpg

V9zseDt.jpg

15348463109_037b9c4269_b.jpg

I am no Tomcat expert but I think the kit is fine with the decals - lots of different views on there on the light tan colour used and changes, any advice/expertise gratefully received!!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 8

• Tim Moff changed the title to The other Tim's 1/48 Academy/Minicraft Model Kits Grumman F-14A Tomcat - BUNO 160913 NSAWC
On 9/20/2021 at 11:51 AM, Tim Moff said:

I am no Tomcat expert but I think the kit is fine with the decals - lots of different views on there on the light tan colour used and changes, any advice/expertise gratefully received!!

The kit is mostly fine: 160913 was a block 105 aircraft, meaning that predated the introduction of the ECM bulges under the glove vanes and on the beavertail. IIRC the Academy kit includes them but they should be easy to remove.

A bit more problematic is the fact that by the time this aircraft wore the NSAWC scheme, the gun gas grilles had been replaced with the 3 small NACA intakes originally used on the F-14B and D, as you can see in this picture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_e_abbott/21116711380

Regarding the colour scheme, the Fightertown decal sheet describes quite a complex scheme....

Tan 30400, Brown 30140 and Green 34095 on top and side surfaces. Lower fuselage in FS 36495 but lower surfaces of wings and tailplanes in FS 36375. Interior of intake ramps in white, including the part that is visible from the undersides.

Said that, I can see how there can be discussion on the tan actually used... pictures show a colour that IMHO is less yellow than 30400 but at the same time it is sure darker than the FS 33531 that IIRC is proposed by Hi Decals (I have that sheet too, I'll check it later).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The kit is mostly fine: 160913 was a block 105 aircraft, meaning that predated the introduction of the ECM bulges under the glove vanes and on the beavertail. IIRC the Academy kit includes them but they should be easy to remove.

A bit more problematic is the fact that by the time this aircraft wore the NSAWC scheme, the gun gas grilles had been replaced with the 3 small NACA intakes originally used on the F-14B and D, as you can see in this picture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_e_abbott/21116711380

Regarding the colour scheme, the Fightertown decal sheet describes quite a complex scheme....

Tan 30400, Brown 30140 and Green 34095 on top and side surfaces. Lower fuselage in FS 36495 but lower surfaces of wings and tailplanes in FS 36375. Interior of intake ramps in white, including the part that is visible from the undersides.

Said that, I can see how there can be discussion on the tan actually used... pictures show a colour that IMHO is less yellow than 30400 but at the same time it is sure darker than the FS 33531 that IIRC is proposed by Hi Decals (I have that sheet too, I'll check it later).

Thanks v much @Giorgio N - thats really helpful....looking at the gun pack I can either fill in the gas vents or just leave it - its unlikely I can make the NACA intakes!! So it may be I just live with it...

El320IL.jpg

@Giorgio N I take it the beaver tail is the area below at the back between the fins?

WA4c2.jpg

Can I please ask which lump needs removing? The small one on the right or the longer one on the left?

sehRoqv.jpg

Good point about the sand - some documentation says they did move to the FS30279 by the time this scheme was introduced...I also plan to get the FS33531 mentioned on the Hi Decal instructions so I can at least try it - I do also have the UK Desert Pink....any advice/experience appreciated - I do prefer Mr Color or Mr paint if anyone has any views/knowledge! 

There are mentions or the Phoenix trays being on the aircraft and fuel tanks, I have seen pics with the tanks and various training CAT AIM 9 rounds/ACMI rounds etc....I will likely put the trays on or have to fill in a few holes!

13015337.jpg.d3a74405d3dff901b841ab4f8c3

schemes2.jpg

b6ed66da1cbec8be6097079236a2f905.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

Tim, yes the beavertail is the extreme fuselage bit between the exhausts. The part to remove is the larger lump on the left, that represents part of the ECM system. The shorter on the right is a fuel dump duct, so basically a length of tube.

There's a good view of the rear end and other details of your aircraft in this video:

Regarding the gun gas vents, I may be able to help, give me a few days and I'll let you know for sure

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Still finishing of my 2 F-4 Phantoms so delayed starting this GB…

Got the box out she started by priming some bits, painting the cockpit areas, started on the pilots as well as the wings etc - items like the wings, tails, tail planes etc will likely be fixed at the end of the build, so I can get them prepped and pre-painted etc…

IMG_0035.HEIC

had to paint the helmets different to standard 🤣

May have one of the flight suits desert Tan as well for a bit of variation …

IMG_0036.HEIC

just need to put a touch of Gull Gray back around some of the console areas 

IMG_0037.HEIC

IMG_0042.HEIC

ECM lumps removed and intake area primed …

IMG_0045.HEIC

IMG_0046.HEIC

FullSizeRender(6).jpg

It’s a start !

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Getting some bits done, aluminium leading edges on wings/tail planes …

anyone know if the just follow the panel line - upper and lower (lower is quite deep)?

IMG_0229.HEIC

IMG_0230.HEIC

ive prepped the white are in the leading edge of the tail units - again anyone know if they follow the panels of expand ?

the panel on the model seems on width, whereas on the ref pics it seems to widen at the lower part ? Any advice ??

IMG_0236.PNG

should i just swag it with tape of paint and mask off the lines ?

Ive found 1 ref pic with what looks like replacement rudders, 1 a grey (what FS would that be FS36375 like the usual TPS schemes?), the other seems black ? I always like a bit of variation with nuances like this, I guess the black rudder could have come from an airframe that had unit markings that included a black tail?

F14_13wanna-san-diego.jpg

F14, 160913 / 13 (cn 342) Aggressor from NSAWC. San Diego - North Island NAS / Halsey Field , April 28, 2001

Matt Baker

Edited by Tim Moff

Having a look at your reference photos posted earlier in this thread I'd say there is a slight taper to the white opening up as it descends the fin leading edge. Hopefully someone who knows about these things can assist.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this STBG tan til the end of Dec …. Also had to work to meet the F-4 STGB  deadline with both my builds so am up against it with this one….

@Giorgio N kindly sent me a replacement gun resin but it would need serious surgery and filling to make fit as it’s also slightly narrower- thanks so much, I will defo use it in the future but I’m not going to get it on this build …

which means I either leave as is, or full the vents less a triangle and try to file the rear existing nacelle … probably no time for that to be honest so I will probably go as is ….

concurrently I’ve worked on other parts like the wings etc and the crew

IMG_0246.HEIC

Now I’ve also painted the rudders for something a bit different - the port one appears to have the code  22 on the top ?

will try to use some decals to replicate …

I used the lighter brown but on looking again I felt it needed to be a bit darker

IMG_0442.HEIC

so added a 50/50 mix

IMG_0448.HEIC

the key is the decals I feel - even though they may seem a bit dark compared to the real thing, I will try to match the 2 browns to the decals …. Hopefully above is better 

You can see the slight difference below with one area before and the other after the darker coat.

IMG_0447.HEIC

Lower area FS36375

FullSizeRender(50).jpg

Test mule 

IMG_0451.PNG

will go for FS34095 Field green

The phoenix racks look to be FS36375 as well, whilst the tanks the lighter FS36495?

IMG_0428.PNG

IMG_0438(1).JPG

IMG_0035.HEIC

Need to get going on the main fuse, but want to get the wings painted and clear coted first - they will be glued in the swept position ….

will be a push, have a couple of days off later in the week so hopefully can get ahead a bit !

• Like 5

Pushing on a bit - some paint and construction, filling in some areas...

IMG_0470(1).HEIC

IMG_0459(1).HEIC

IMG_0465(1).HEIC

FullSizeRender(54).jpg

FullSizeRender(56).jpg

IMG_0460(1).HEIC

FullSizeRender(56).jpg

Tamiya bendy tape ideal for this type of scheme where it seems the camo demarcation is sharp...

IMG_0466.JPG

FullSizeRender(55).jpgSome touch ups needed on the painting

IMG_0468(1).HEIC

onwards now!

• Like 5

On 06/12/2021 at 04:29, Tim Moff said:

I thought this STBG tan til the end of Dec …. Also had to work to meet the F-4 STGB  deadline with both my builds so am up against it with this one….

@Giorgio N kindly sent me a replacement gun resin but it would need serious surgery and filling to make fit as it’s also slightly narrower- thanks so much, I will defo use it in the future but I’m not going to get it on this build …

which means I either leave as is, or full the vents less a triangle and try to file the rear existing nacelle … probably no time for that to be honest so I will probably go as is ….

concurrently I’ve worked on other parts like the wings etc and the crew

IMG_0246.HEIC

Now I’ve also painted the rudders for something a bit different - the port one appears to have the code  22 on the top ?

will try to use some decals to replicate …

I used the lighter brown but on looking again I felt it needed to be a bit darker

IMG_0442.HEIC

so added a 50/50 mix

IMG_0448.HEIC

the key is the decals I feel - even though they may seem a bit dark compared to the real thing, I will try to match the 2 browns to the decals …. Hopefully above is better 

You can see the slight difference below with one area before and the other after the darker coat.

IMG_0447.HEIC

Lower area FS36375

FullSizeRender(50).jpg

Test mule 

IMG_0451.PNG

will go for FS34095 Field green

The phoenix racks look to be FS36375 as well, whilst the tanks the lighter FS36495?

IMG_0428.PNG

IMG_0438(1).JPG

IMG_0035.HEIC

Need to get going on the main fuse, but want to get the wings painted and clear coted first - they will be glued in the swept position ….

will be a push, have a couple of days off later in the week so hopefully can get ahead a bit !

I feel lazy going for an all-over light gull grey scheme! All this hard work on the paint scheme will definitely be worth it!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, arfa1983 said:

What is Tamiya bendy tape???

Its a version of their tape designed to mask curves etc - long video below but shows how its used...

• Like 2

Thanks all

bit more work done over the evenings meaning I’m getting close to the main fuse which test fitting has shown will be a challenge but with some brute force and clamps I hope to get it together without too many gaps ….

FullSizeRender(57).jpg

IMG_0475.HEIC

FullSizeRender(58).jpg

FullSizeRender(59).jpg

IMG_0468(2).HEIC

• Like 5

Bit more done 

hopefully the fuse holds and I can fill a few gaps and then prime this weekend …time is running out !

some great advice via a Tomcat Facebook site explained the rudders were added when the airframe had been decommissioned abscess effectively being used for spares - so I painted them back … they also posted some great pics 

IMG_0516.HEIC

IMG_0515.HEIC

IMG_0514.HEIC

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

• Like 6