RAF Tomahawk iib x2

Doccur

Hi everyone.

The latest aircraft from the workbench (the Mrs dining room table). Two starter sets of the relatively new tool Airfix Tomahawk iib, one a gift and the other an Aldi £5 special. I thought I might as well build them side by side!

Nothing major to report in construction, the nose panels need a bit of fettling to get looking right, as do the wing roots, but nothing a little bit of filler and sand paper can’t handle. 

I built the first as the box option of Neville Duke’s 112 Squadron aircraft and the other as a 26 squadron aircraft based at Gatwick (thanks again @PhantomBigStu for the decals). 

Paints were a variety, Vallejo, Humbrol and Aeromaster acrylics. Having built aircraft with canopy masks recently, manually cutting my own on these was time consuming! Decals went down ok, the Xtradecals broke In places so had to replace them with the kit offerings. This was my first sharkmouth decal and I was pleasantly surprised with how well it went down! 

Anyway, enough blabbering, here are the models in question:

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Airfix P-40 x2

Cheers!

Ash

• Like 35

43 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Looks very nice :) what did you use for the DuPont dark earth? 

Thanks mate!

I used Vallejo ‘Curtiss brown’ but added a little red to it. The green was Vallejo ‘Curtiss green’, the ‘Sky’ Was mixed from Vallejo ‘Curtiss grey’ and Xtracrylix sky, matched to a Tin of Colourcoats DuPont sky grey I have. 

Ash

• Like 2

Very neat and clean Tomahawks!

However, if you'll excuse my being straightforward, that bright silver paint spatter on the wing roots doesn't look even remotely like scuffing. 😉

For a master's course in scuffing and general weathering, I'd suggest take a look at this post:

It's not done with any fancy technique such as hairspray or similar – it's all done with a fine tipped brush after careful study of photos of the real thing. Observation, and practice…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat and clean Tomahawks!

However, if you'll excuse my being straightforward, that bright silver paint spatter on the wing roots doesn't look even remotely like scuffing. 😉

For a master's course in scuffing and general weathering, I'd suggest take a look at this post:

It's not done with any fancy technique such as hairspray or similar – it's all done with a fine tipped brush after careful study of photos of the real thing. Observation, and practice…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim! I saw this build and I must attempt this technique, although I must admit I would like to try the hairspray technique first as that kind of painting may be beyond me…

13 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

I am very concerned these P-40s are painted in the wrong colors and have incorrect markings applied.  😆

They look better with roundels 😉

7 hours ago, BerndM said:

Neat little builds.

The fine antennas are a well made addition.

Thanks mate, I'm glad someone noticed it! They were done using uschi thread which is such a delight to work with it would be criminal not to use it for any of my aircraft antennas!

Ash

• Like 2

On 20/09/2021 at 05:53, Doccur said:

Both models are very good, but I especially liked this nice painting. It's the kind of thing that makes you want to build a kit.

Edited by Convair
  • Thanks 1

On 21/09/2021 at 10:15, IanC said:

They look great together. I especially like the oil stains on the underside of the 26 Sqn a/c.

13 hours ago, Roberto said:

Very nice works, I like them!

7 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice pair of Tomahawks there, great job(s)

Thanks Chaps.