1/48 Academy F4N Phantom

SteveMc

This is the1/48 Academy F4N Phantom which I recently completed.

This represents the F4N version as flown by VMFA-531 “Gray Ghosts” of the USMC from the USS Coral Sea around April 1980. At the time the Coral Sea was on station in the Indian Ocean and Gulf in response to the Iranian hostage situation.

The F4N was a refurbished and modernised F4B which extended the life of the older airframes and enabled sufficient Phantoms to remain in service pending the introduction of F14’s and F18’s.

It has been built OOB
It's painted with Tamiya acrylics. The main colour was a custom mix to replicate Light Gull Grey.
The tail was X-3 Royal Blue and the rest were various blacks, metallics X-2 And XF-2 whites.
Weathering was fairly minimal with Flory dark dirt and grime washes plus Abteilung oils.

The build was good and any issues were entirely my own making. The instructions call for the undercarriage to be put in early in the build as well as the ejection seats and crew figures. I left the wheels to last. It was a bit tricky to get them in but it meant they didn't get knocked off along the way. I had to scratch build a few small pieces after the originals pinged off into the dark recesses of the cave. 

DSC_0699

DSC_0696

DSC_0688

DSC_0689

DSC_0695

DSC_0692

• Like 41

Wow Steve that is a real beauty.  Go well with your new Nucs.

There is some work in that & a lot of  patience to go with it.

Very nice finishes & subtle effects. Masterclass stuff. That is top stuff.

Plus Steve very nice photos.

Laurie

• Thanks 1

As your late countryman was fond of saying, "Crikey- she's a beaut!" Without a doubt, this is the most perfect Phantom model I have seen in quite a while- museum quality all the way, and the paintwork and weathering are outstanding and totally realistic, especially the burner cans and the keel heat shield. Phabulous Phantom! :worthy:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to everyone who looked in and the kind comments. Much appreciated.

I’m thinking I will have to to build Academy’s F4C in Vietnam camo to complement this build.