Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show September 2021 - now with added "Historic Helicopters"!

Alpha Delta 210

Hello everyone

I spent the weekend at Duxford for the Battle of Britain Air Show. The weather on Saturday started off foggy and then turned into a beautiful late summer day, the downside of which was shooting into the sun. Sunday started off bright and then the airfield was covered by an overcast, but thankfully the threatened rain did not materialise.

Here is my first batch from Saturday. I apologise for the quality of the Russian Spitfire in particular, but I had not seen it before  so am posting them for the record!

Enjoy.

DSC_3717.jpg

DSC_3733.jpg

DSC_3747.jpg

DSC_3757.jpg

DSC_3759.jpg

DSC_3760.jpg

I'm not sure if this works....

DSC_3763.jpg

DSC_3772.jpg

DSC_5290.jpg

DSC_5326.jpg

DSC_5342.jpg

DSC_5378.jpg

DSC_5475.jpg

DSC_5653.jpg

DSC_5668.jpg

DSC_5698.jpg

DSC_7129.jpg

What an incredible sound!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Stunning shots, the US fighter nose line up is most impressive! Absolutely superb, very professional shots. 

Thanks very much, Parabat. Duxford is a very tricky place for photography. I almost resorted to putting the camera down and indulging in a few cans of cider! 🤣

6 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

A great set of photos. Really like the early morning ones with the mist. 
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I like the feeling of the early morning shots as well. I'm pleased that I got there when the gates opened!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franky boy said:

Great photos. I love the early morning ones. 

I was was there today and thoroughly enjoyed the show. 

James

Thanks very much James. I will post more misty ones as people like them! I meant to say in my original post that I thoroughly enjoyed both days and my favourite display was without doubt the elegantly flown machines of Historic Helicopters. Or was it the Balbo? 🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gazza l said:

Some lovely shots, I particularly like the misty ones... very atmospheric. 

gazza l

Hi gazza. Thanks very much. I'm pleased you like the pictures. My wife couldn't understand why I wanted to arrive so early, but the reward for me was the fog!😁

2 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Yes please, more of the atmospheric misty shots.  The first one of the Spitfire is very impressive.  Oh to se 10 spitfires and 4 hurricanes in formation.

What a privilege.

Another great set, thank you.

Colin

Hi Colin. The "big wing" as they were calling it was, was incredible!. Firstly to see (and hear) the take offs was out of this world but then when the returned in formation, I was blown away. On Sunday, I did some video of the formation to have a recording of the incredible sound!

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed this first set and will definitely post some more misty shots!

• Like 2

What a great weekend Leigh which your shots fully capture. I really enjoyed seeing the Westland helis as well of course as the Spitfire sand Hurricane balbo. I'll post some of my shots in a while.

Mark

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Beautiful photographs - very evocative

I was there on Saturday - really enjoyed it. The helicopters were a nice addition. I thought that the Bearcat and Corsair displays were excellent. 

Will

Thanks very much, Will. I completely agree. Unfortunately due to low cloud on Sunday, the  Bearcat and Corsair had their wings clipped slightly on Sunday.

I was unsure about spending more than £40 per day (including parking) on a Duxford show, but I don't regret it for a moment!

• Like 1

Fastastic photos from what looks like a fantastic day. 

:goodjob:

15 Spitfies & Hurricanes  in the sky at once. From Duxford. What a sight, what a sound; incredible.  

"....For the first time, they'll all come within the range of 12 Group. Perhaps now, at last, we shall see what Leigh-Mallory's Big Wings are made of."

Rich 

• Alpha Delta 210 changed the title to Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show September 2021 - now with added mist!
6 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Those misty morning pics are great 👍 you were lucky to have those conditions.

You must have had a very pleasant day .

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan! As I was driving there, I was cursing the conditions, but the images are atmospheric!

It was indeed a wonderful day.

Just now, PolarisPrime said:

Some day I want to be there for the Battle of Britain celebration.  What a treat that would be.  Excellent pictures.  The misty day makes it seem like  you are sitting at the airdrome waiting for the alert call. 

Thanks very much. Duxford shows can be a bit hit and miss, but this was was a real hit! I'm glad that you enjoyed them and hope you can make it some day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parabat said:

What a great update, you clearly are a showman,  knowing how to leave the crowd wanting more! 

Great stuff, love the B-17 coming in over the Spitfires in the foreground. 

Roll up, roll up! 🤣 

Glad you enjoyed the update, Parabat. I have so many shots of "Sally B" that I wanted to do something a little different, so I'm pleased you liked it.