Classic Airframes Westland Wyvern S.4

Einar

Some years ago I decided to build the very interesting looking Westland Wyvern S.4 which was a British carrier-based multi-role strike aircraft. The plane saw active service during the Suez crisis in 1956 in the Anglo-French Operation Musketeer whose aim was to capture the Suez canal from Egypt (who had nationalized that vital sea route). The Wyverns engaged in 82 missions, both in fighter-bomber as well as reconnaissance roles and black- yellow identification stripes were painted to the planes during the crisis. The Wyverns were powered by a turboprop engine driving eight large counter rotating propellers. Only a total of 127 Wyverns were built.

I built my model from a 1/48 scale Classic Airframes kit which in my opinion was the best quality CA kit I have so far come across. The fit was very good and for instance the engraved panel lines were very fine and accurate.  The model depicts the Westland Wyvern of the 830 Naval Air Squadron that operated from HMS Eagle in 1956 during the Suez crisis.

Unfortunately I don't anymore remember the number of the paints but the colours were Extra Dark Sea Grey, Sky and Maroon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 30

9 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Nice!

I built the Trumpeter 1/48 scale early version kit with folded wings.

Saluti

Giampiero

Grazie mille Giampiero!

Einar

8 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

The Wyvern may not be exactly beautiful, but she never fail to impress!

Excellent portrayal of this brutal machine!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim!

Einar 

Beautiful job on this Wyvern! I have this very kit, and I'm glad to see it builds up so nicely. I had thought about selling this kit as I've divested myself of most of my 1/48th scale kits (I collected them but never built them); Now I'm glad I kept it.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Beautiful job on this Wyvern! I have this very kit, and I'm glad to see it builds up so nicely. I had thought about selling this kit as I've divested myself of most of my 1/48th scale kits (I collected them but never built them); Now I'm glad I kept it.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason

Einar 

• Like 1