FW-190 A Help Please

goon

Hi Gang,

I've just been researching the career of the pilot who shot down a Spitfire connected with my home town (The Star of Stone BL637) an found that he was flying an FW-190 A on this mission. I know the square root of nothing at all about these aircraft. (I CAN recognise one though!) The pilot was Hans Ehlers, and he was based Woensdrecht on the 19th of June 1942 when the events took place. 

I have two questions - Can anyone help me pin down the aircraft that was used, and if so where do I go for a kit in 1/32 scale? 

Many thanks,

Gareth

Probably Ehlers would have flown an Fw 190A-3 or A-4, since those variants of the plane began flying in 1942/3 

Pacific Coast Models makes (or made?) an early Fw 190 in 32nd. It's a short run kit, with resin. If you wish to wait for a mainstream kit, Zoukei Mura will release the early family on the 190 in 32nd.

This link may be of use: https://www.starduststudios.com/hans-ehlers.html

Edited by Sturmovik

There's an entry for Hans Ehlers on the Kracker database, which contains a fair amount of info, including a WNr and tactical code of a 190A-4 that he flew.  The A-4 may possibly have been a bit early for 1942 though..

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/KrackerDatabase/?q=ehlers&qand=&exc1=&exc2=&search_only=&search_type=exact

II./JG 1 ace Ehlers claimed his 15th victory on 19 June 1942.  His 6. Staffel comrade Uffz. Brakebusch was shot down and the loss details were recorded as Fw 190 A-2 WNr. 0285  'ge. 9+ -'  (ie yellow 9 + bar). Not Ehlers machine of course but close

Hasegawa did the Fw 190A-5 in 1/32 - not TOO big a stretch to convert that to an A-3. Biggest job would be excising the A-5's nose extension just behind the cowl. Easier than starting with an A-8 at least.

If the Zoukei kits ever appear (they've been pending for 4+ years!), they will be the top of the heap though.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

From the rather aged and slightly imprecise references I have it is suggested that the A3 and A4 were introduced into service during the early Spring and early Summer of 1942 respectively so if that's the case then it's likely that the model he was flying would probably have been one of these. The only obvious external detail difference between the two being the the pointed aerial attachment point on the top of the fin of the A4. 

Regards

Colin.

Ehlers' machine would have been an A-2 or A-3, the first A-4 I have with the II./JG 1 wasn't until 26.August 1942, WNr.7021 crash-landing at Fl.Pl. Venlo.

The photo from the nimh-beeldbank shows a typical 6./JG 1 machine, with a yellow spinner tip, with the ⅔, ⅓ 'Kullerschnauze' paint, and their 'Tatzelwurm' emblem, retained from their former unit, the 3./JG 3, also in yellow.

Ehlers had a tradition of using "5" on a number of his later machines (WNr.530715, 430170, 170046), so it's plausible he'd been flying with that choice earlier.

Good luck with your project,  GRM

Pacific Coast Models released a 1/32 Fw190 A-1 through A-3

http://mail.hyperscale.com/2018/reviews/kits/pcm32011reviewbg_1.htm

If the picture above is the aircraft in question then it most likely an A-2 or A-3 as the A-4 had louvers replacing the cowl slots. Unless there was some cross over for very early -4s.