1/72 Special Hobby AH-1S Cobra

Hello,

Here's my just finished 1/72 Special Hobby AH-1S Cobra. I did mine as 71-21024 of the 503rd Aviation Company, based just outside Hanau in (West) Germany in around 1980. Lovely little kit, just a little fiddly. Painted with MRP's Helo Drab.

oRQpsf5.jpg

Au6FIt1.jpg

LoOd87A.jpg

u0wSbE3.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pete

• Like 36

Well, I made an error. Right after I finished it, I checked some pics of the real thing, and I immediately noticed that the front window/door hinges at the front and not at the top. Special Hobby suggests otherwise, and I just followed the instructions.

I have fixed it now.

dqU6zHA.jpg

Lesson learned here.

• Like 12

That's a lovely model. I had been tempted to get one myself and having seen yours, I have been persuaded.

On a school exchange in 1980, I went to Germany for a couple of weeks. Whilst there we visited the East/West border and the military base at Bad Hersfeld and saw some AH-1s patrolling along the border. It's probably the only time I saw any and I remember being quite excited about it.

The visit to the border ended up being a profound experience. For a fourteen year old interested in military history, it helped bring the Cold War into sharp focus.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Lovely result. These kits are really good in general.

The colour looks spot on. MRP, you say? The best match I've found so far is Colourcoats enamel, but MRP is so easy to use it's good to know there's a lacquer alternative 👍