Jolly roger A

Hewy

I love the colour schemes of the  jolly rogers vf84  f-14a's of the 70s and 80s I'm building the academy 72nd kit ,i have a hobbyboss B , and the amk D, both in the stash in 48th but i can't be sure I'd  get either finished in the allotted time scale of the gb,but  the academy 72nd has a bit more of a chance at crossing the line though, it looks a great little kit ,very detailed, also if anyones interested it looks as though you can build at least a B and maybe a D from the box  , there looks to be all the parts there. (to me at least) inc  a litening pod, amongst other bits 

Although the kit decals are by cartograph and look superb, I'm still drawn to a vf 84 Hi-vis "A"  aftermarket set, i also have  quickboost resin seats, and mask set ,

but in the stash there's a pair of 72nd  f-14  resin pilots too  and I'm tempted to do an inflight model, I'll  decide when the time comes

bJqTRuN.jpeg

Sa1nTgt.jpeg

• Like 8

Am I correct in thinking this is our first VF-84 subject in the GB or not? Either way it's a cool choice of markings :speak_cool:  Heard great things about this kit but don't know if it offers an in-flight option or some modification to the undercarriage doors will be required.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Am I correct in thinking this is our first VF-84 subject in the GB or not? Either way it's a cool choice of markings :speak_cool:  Heard great things about this kit but don't know if it offers an in-flight option or some modification to the undercarriage doors will be required.

a popular scheme done to death col ,but still a favourite of mine ,it Looks like it is  the first vf-84 subject👍,  gear up or down ,i dont mind ,i haven't had the the pleasure though  of the best in class  gwh 72nd  kit in person, but I'm  hoping this one is just as much an enjoyable kit to build as my recently finished academy   

b-52  which was a superb model kit to build

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

One with your Tomcat chasing down an A6M Zero of course!😉

A great choice though Glynn and one of my favourite Tomcat schemes. I have heard good things about this kit and I am very interested to see how you get on with the build.

😁👍, maybe a photo bomb at the end alongside a zero 

• Haha 2

I was boning up on F-14 kits the other night & from what I could glean, these Academy kits were right up there, the GWH one seemed to out rank it but only at considerably more shekels. I'll settle on my couple of Hasegawa kits & maybe a new Academy kit or two, The idea of the early scheme in this kit has considerable attraction.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I was boning up on F-14 kits the other night & from what I could glean, these Academy kits were right up there, the GWH one seemed to out rank it but only at considerably more shekels. I'll settle on my couple of Hasegawa kits & maybe a new Academy kit or two, The idea of the early scheme in this kit has considerable attraction.

Steve.

I have had a read up of the gwh kit steve, at nearly twice the price of these kits too, and the academy offering holds its own very well.and the academy kit has cartograph decals too

• Thanks 1

I've made a  start, first off the cockpit just the kit decals which go down well over the panel  moldings that imitate poor mans pe 🙄, it'll  be fine because the canopy is a closed option only

ukzaoqC.jpeg

wq9k1tn.jpeg

A test fit with the front nose piece and the canopy ,

Exellent fit

YC1ySvw.jpeg

I built up the intakes,  again a really nice fit ,if you follow the instructions when the top parts go on for them they sqaure up and its such a breeze to glue them without holding and pressing the flimsy intake sides

4dNnGS6.jpeg

And with the nose piece  just plugged in for a look see the upper and lower fuselage halves ,wing stubs and nose section are unglued here just  pressed together, there will be no dramas,everything will fit very well, I'm  gonna glue it up tomorrow 

HZFrIFK.jpeg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, almac said:

Nice start with the cockpit. It looks like a well fitting kit so far unlike my Hobbyboss F-14.

Cheers Allan 

Sorry to hear that allan, this the second modern academy kit I've built recently and they're both so nice fitting, now is the time I've got to decide if I'm going to put  standard kit seats ,resin pilots , or resin seats and belts in the cockpit ,and gear up or down, @Col. pointed out there isnt a gear up option oob, but it looks easy enough to do, thanks for looking in👍

• Like 1

I've  decided on wheels up,  and I've  got quite a bit done,

Fuselage glued up, and I've gone against the grain a bit with the wings, after some dry fitting it was apparent that i could fit the built up  wing straight  on the plugs that were already on they're  swiveling locating points,soi can  just slide them on after painting

Pheonix Pallets in place

h4oOaXc.jpeg

Wings temporarily plugged in, and they still swing

T4Ix6gL.jpeg

dpcD4cP.jpeg

After some fettling  (quite a a bit  ) I've  got the gear doors glued, they look messy, pp surrounded  in sprue gloop to make up for the fact the doors aren't designed to be closed

8sgFEnX.jpeg

After a couple of sessions of sanding ,and a blow over with mr surfacer 1500 i was happy enough to fit the  missile pylons

61yiZBA.jpeg

5aAbqhf.jpeg

Fuslage to nose piece was a great fit all around

vmlHNlG.jpeg

9egKWMV.jpeg

I started the seats and pilots today so hopfully the canopy can go on soon,

Cheers for looking in

• Like 10

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Really nice work Glynn, she seems to have gone together very well.

Handy that you can leave the wings off for painting, saves on some masking.

Cheers craig ,It has gone together well ,which I'm  not too surprised about,academy has upped they're game of late,

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Just as well I build wheels down. :) This is coming along very nicely Glynn, I can feel the need getting stronger. :D

Steve 

Thanks steve, 😁pull the trigger , a bargain priced kit too ,with quality standard details and  most if not all the parts to build later models (you do need to know your a,b,d  f-14s though) 

• Like 2