Battle of Midway GB - at 13

bigfoot

With the 80th anniversary of the battle of Midway in 2022, the major turning point in the pacific war, what better time for a GB on that theme. Planes, ships and anything on Midway island at the time of the battle. Any scale, if it was there, it counts.

A little background of aircraft provided by Marklo:

On Midway, by 4 June the U.S. Navy had stationed four squadrons of PBYs—31 aircraft in total—for long-range reconnaissance duties, and six brand-new Grumman TBF Avengers from Hornet's VT-8. The Marine Corps stationed 19 Douglas SBD Dauntless, seven F4F-3 Wildcats, 17 Vought SB2U Vindicators, and 21 Brewster F2A Buffalos. The USAAF contributed a squadron of 17 B-17 Flying Fortresses and four Martin B-26 Marauders equipped with torpedoes: in total 126 aircraft.

The main Japanese carrier-borne strike aircraft were the D3A1 "Val" dive bomber and the B5N2 "Kate", which was used either as a torpedo bomber or as a level bomber. The main carrier fighter was the fast and highly maneuverable A6M "Zero".

There were also the usual selection of support vehicles such as Jeep’s and AA guns based on Midway. The Japanese also flew the ‘Jake’, ‘Judy’ and ‘Dave’ during the battle.  

Then there’s the whole plethora of carriers, destroyers, subs etc for those who like their floaty things.

My free time is limited having two small boys so I probably wouldn’t be able to host on my own so if anyone wants to co-host/ host on their own please volunteer.

Flight Roster so far:

1. Me (Bigfoot)

2. @Ozzy

3. @stevej60

4. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

5. @LorenSharp

6. @dnl42

7. @Marklo

8. @Jb65rams

9. @TEMPESTMK5

10. @franky boy

11. @Andwil

12. @vppelt68

13. @Tokyo Raider

Edited by bigfoot
Update participants
  • Like 4

Some very superficial research yields the following:-

On Midway, by 4 June the U.S. Navy had stationed four squadrons of PBYs—31 aircraft in total—for long-range reconnaissance duties, and six brand-new Grumman TBF Avengers from Hornet's VT-8. The Marine Corps stationed 19 Douglas SBD Dauntless, seven F4F-3 Wildcats, 17 Vought SB2U Vindicators, and 21 Brewster F2A Buffalos. The USAAF contributed a squadron of 17 B-17 Flying Fortresses and four Martin B-26 Marauders equipped with torpedoes: in total 126 aircraft.

The main Japanese carrier-borne strike aircraft were the D3A1 "Val" dive bomber and the B5N2 "Kate", which was used either as a torpedo bomber or as a level bomber. The main carrier fighter was the fast and highly maneuverable A6M "Zero".

I have a Tamiya Buffalo in the stash, so count me in, and would probably be interested in any of the others except for the bombers, too.

• Like 1

• bigfoot changed the title to Battle of Midway GB - at 11

Sorry for hesitating this long... Well, I must have been less than 10 years old when I got the Revell Battle of Midway aircraft carrier kit for a birthday present. Built it in one day, of course. Around the same years I got to see the the 1976 movie (just checked it was released in Finland in January 1977, thanks IMDB). In my childhood this was The Seabattle of All Seabattles. How could I now skip this? Add my name to the list, please... for my own historical reasons, I think I should of course hunt one of those Revell carrier kits for this one! V-P

• Like 1

• bigfoot changed the title to Battle of Midway GB - at 12

I have never done a group build.  What is it?  A contest or a few guys just building models in a similar theme?

I would like to join if its the latter.  I am not a contest building guy.  Thanks...

1 hour ago, Tokyo Raider said:

A contest or a few guys just building models in a similar theme?

Mostly it is just modeler's building to a theme, on rare occasion's on some sites and clubs it is a contest. In this case its a bunch of modeler’s and the theme is centered around Midway and the 1942 battle. 

On 10/2/2021 at 9:40 AM, Tokyo Raider said:

I have never done a group build.  What is it?  A contest or a few guys just building models in a similar theme?

I would like to join if its the latter.  I am not a contest building guy.  Thanks...

Some GBs may have voting on gallery entries...but it's not really a contest like he mentioned.  Just a bunch of modelers building to a theme...sharing builds, tips, information, and helping each other out when troubles arise.  I'm definitely not a competition builder either, but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of GBs.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:40 PM, Tokyo Raider said:

Great, thanks for signing up, definitely for fun rather than a competition. Just an opportunity for a bunch of us to build models around a common theme. I’ll add you to the list!

• bigfoot changed the title to Battle of Midway GB - at 13
5 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Great, thanks for signing up, definitely for fun rather than a competition. Just an opportunity for a bunch of us to build models around a common theme. I’ll add you to the list!

Thanks Bigfoot!  I will start thinking up what to build for this...  thanks!

• 2 weeks later...