1/72 - Sopwith Dolphin by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released

Homebee

On 9/20/2021 at 12:48 AM, Meatbox8 said:

Yay! Looking forward to this one.  Hopefully there'll be multiple decal options so I can also build my decal-less CMK kit I've had loitering in the draw for more than decade.

I must have bought mine later as it does have decals included for 4 machines namely 19 sqd, 78th, 87th, 1sqd canadian with it's maple leaf. On another note I hope KP don't do a 2 piece bottom wing as CMR did as this gets fiddly. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KITCAT said:

I must have bought mine later as it does have decals included for 4 machines namely 19 sqd, 78th, 87th, 1sqd canadian with it's maple leaf. On another note I hope KP don't do a 2 piece bottom wing as CMR did as this gets fiddly. 

The CMR (not CMK) kit, like many of them, was reissued with decals. Some of the other reissues also had PE added, but (IIRC) not the Dolphin.

If this is based on the CMR kit it will be interesting to see how they've handled the joint between the rop wings and the centre section framework. On the resin kit I found it too fragile (due to cunningly placed air bubbles) and had to rebuild the framework from rod.

Paul.

15 hours ago, KITCAT said:

Mine came in a plastic resealable bag with just a single piece of A5 paper with a side profile pic and instructions on the back.  The tooling looks really nice but very fiddly, particularly the upper wing assembly.  I was never able to find any decals for the Dolphin so I expect I'll await the arrival of this new kit from KP.

On 21/09/2021 at 09:12, KITCAT said:

Didn't see your post until this morning, sorry for appearing to ignore you - yes, that's be the re-release I meant. I don't remember when it happened though, but it was part of the general CMR program of spiffing up theirearly releases where economically sensible. I think the only other one I got at the time was the Westland Wapiti, which was another added PE and decals job, plus recast in cream coloured resin.

Paul.

Czech Master resin updated and upgraded many oftheir kits in the early 2000's and also put decals in them. The old ones could be recognised by being an a sealbag and usualy green resin, the new ones were boxed, cream resin, often upgraded with new parts and often totaly redone and included an elaborate instruction sheet with nice decals too. These days only a very limited amout of CMR kits are still available through selected outlets.  After Petr Buchar sold the company economics forced the new owners to slim down. The release of injected kits of the Buccaneer and the Vampire T11 by Airfix  did not help either but such are the risks. 

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Sopwith Dolphin by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - box art+schemes - release in 2021
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen a sprue yet?  

I built the CMR resin kit as part of my 19 Squadron Linear Build and see that the options are for another...which I will make, I suppose.  I hope the mouldings are good.

5 hours ago, John Masters said:

Has anyone seen a sprue yet?  

I built the CMR resin kit as part of my 19 Squadron Linear Build and see that the options are for another...which I will make, I suppose.  I hope the mouldings are good.

Can’t help you, but I’m eager to see a review or get ahold of them myself. My experience from their latest Great War types are that they’re quite a bit behind Eduard in cripsness and fit - more like Roden but less detailed. I’m very happy to see the attention they give these types, and will certainly do my share to vote with the wallet, but I also have a hope that they will spend some time to refine the moulds rather than churning out many types and boxings.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:22 PM, Torbjorn said:

but I also have a hope that they will spend some time to refine the moulds rather than churning out many types and boxings.

Not sure I'd hold my breath where KP/AZ are concerned.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Sopwith Dolphin by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a picture of the parts in the Dolphin kit?

Thanks

Colin

I should have one arriving tomorrow so can photograph them then if someone doesn't come up with a link.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

Okay, postie has called, here's some photos. Seen close up, small parts like guns and bombs and cockpit parts are very crude and featureless, except the instrument panel which is okay. Struts are rather agricultural, but all have the sprue gate encroaching so by the time you've finished sanding them they'll be in scale. Flying surface rib treatment is okay IMO, and trailing edges are good. YMMV but personally I think the centre section tube framework for the top wing needs replacing, but I'll have a go at cleaning it up first, see if it survives (I've not stared it so don't know yet how the plastic will work).

Decals look okay, same as in the Tripe kit, but I had an unpleasant time with those so will be cautious. Same odd grey seatbelts.

On the whole, a nice kit, but something you'd have expected 20-30 years ago.

51649787324_c31f4fba1a_c.jpgDolphin box top by Paul  Thompson,

51649125371_f31cd57893_c.jpgDolphin box bottom by Paul  Thompson,

51649982630_eefbfb0dbe_c.jpgDolphin plastic 2 by Paul  Thompson,

51649353503_66d8d3cc33_c.jpgDolphin plastic 1 by Paul  Thompson,

Paul.

PS, just noticed the Deathstar turbo-laser style ejector towers inside the fuselage - one each side in the visible area of the cockpit will need exterminating.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Additional info.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2