Another Airfix 1/48th Chipmunk

keithjs

This is my number 3 so I thought I'd go for a traditional RAF colour scheme this time. Decals are from sheet 4 of the new Xtracolor ones. Including all the dayglo markings.

What made life a little easier this time was the new set of canopy masks from ArtScale.

So its just a red white and grey one to go, plus G-BXGL off the forthcoming Xtradecal 'civil schemes' sheet.

Thanks for looking again.

51492101206_e37ec4bdce_b.jpg1 

51491309567_d66cbab0f1_b.jpg2 

51492320063_157e30c42f_b.jpg3

51492812044_090abc8d87_b.jpg4 

51493026100_5d585bf500_b.jpg5 

• Like 65
  • Thanks 3

Love it.  I have got the same set and will be finishing it as WK630 of SUAS/2 AEF. Did you have any issue with fitting the canopy together? I messed mine up and A couple emails to Airfix later plus 7 quid from me I got a replacement very quickly.  I found that the engine bearers and inner surfaces of the cowlings needed fettling down as they would not close properly due the the thickness of the plastic. Also the two tabs that are on the lower wing half front end and that are supposed to locate the wing in to place had to be cut off as I could not get the wing assembly to fit well. Everything else was fine.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Paul J said:

Love it.  I have got the same set and will be finishing it as WK630 of SUAS/2 AEF. Did you have any issue with fitting the canopy together? I messed mine up and A couple emails to Airfix later plus 7 quid from me I got a replacement very quickly.  I found that the engine bearers and inner surfaces of the cowlings needed fettling down as they would not close properly due the the thickness of the plastic. Also the two tabs that are on the lower wing half front end and that are supposed to locate the wing in to place had to be cut off as I could not get the wing assembly to fit well. Everything else was fine.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your comments. No problem with the canopy except you need to be very careful. I used Tamiyas Extra thin fast drying cement. I did however have to thin down the rear section where it fits to the fuselage.

Here's a link to some observations on my first build. Hope you find them useful.  

Excellent model Keith very well done and I hope I can get somewhere near your standard of modelling, That is the colour scheme I remember and I too need to get the Xtradecal set as masking the dayglo is beyond me, I still have some offcuts of the  original dayglo tape used on the chippie.  I will have to compare it to the decals,  Are you planning on building any more?

Colin

12 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Excellent model Keith very well done and I hope I can get somewhere near your standard of modelling, That is the colour scheme I remember and I too need to get the Xtradecal set as masking the dayglo is beyond me, I still have some offcuts of the  original dayglo tape used on the chippie.  I will have to compare it to the decals,  Are you planning on building any more?

Colin

Thank you very much. Personally I like the shade of dayglo Xtracolor have used as its looks slightly faded. The leading edge parts were the most awkward to apply as I ended up with a gap as they wouldn't bend round neatly. My answer was to use 2 strips from one of the other pieces bend round first and then apply main ones. (if that makes sense)

Yes, just 2 more I think. Another Benson based one off of sheet 1 in Red, white, grey and another civil one off the forthcoming civil sheet from Xtracolor. I think 5 will be enough.... 

47 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

looks good , :goodjob: i may be wrong but should the underwing serial number on the port wing be reversed ?

Its the starboard wing that is wrong way round. The underwing serials should read from the wing tips in.

56 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Its the starboard wing that is wrong way round. The underwing serials should read from the wing tips in.

I wondered that as the Xtradecal instructions definitely show them both facing the same way. Maybe they know something we don't? Anyway, as you can see I've now changed them back to the standard position. Mind you, if anyone has a photo to prove it should be as they show them in the instructions, I've got plenty of sellotape and serials left...Over to you....

51508890809_09f30a3251_b.jpg20210923_203451

• Like 1

Unless that particular aeroplane DID have it painted on the wrong way, the decal set diagram is wrong.    As you have it now is correct and  standard for near enough all UK military  aircraft up to the time when underwing serials were dropped and I have no idea of the timescale of when that was but certainly before the 1980s at a guess.

I'm very much in the "never say never" camp, but I'd have thought that what XtraDecal X48223 shows (WG486 with the underwing serials both facing the same way) is highly unlikely.

I've posted my thoughts on underwing serials and wing roundel positioning on the Cold War>Thoughts on the new 48th Airfix Chipmunk T.10 thread.

Having got the same sheet, I now see that the Xtradecal view does indeed show it as Keith originally finished it and all the other plan underside views show the serials as we expect them with WZ876 being the only one that is showing them oddly. I have also noticed that for that option the colour scheme description for '876 is described as being the red white scheme but illustrated as the LAG /dayglo one!!! Another clanger here.