HB 1/72 Freelancers' (ex Wolfpack's) F-14A

Pierpaolo

9 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Beautiful subject and your model is coming along wonderfully!

I hope it's just a technicality for your consideration, but felt obliged to note that VF-21 didn't actually participate in Desert Storm - they and the rest of CVW-14 aboard CV-62 USS Independence were deployed to the theater following Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in August 1990, in the build-up named Desert Shield, but they rotated home before the start of combat (Desert Storm) in January 1991 (Source)

That air wing and timeframe has always been popular for modelers since they were widely photographed during the build-up prior to combat, and they had a CAG aircraft from each squadron featuring black tails and full color artwork (otherwise exceptionally rare in that era). For anyone interested on this group build, VF-154 was the other Tomcat squadron of CVW-14 at that time.

Thank You @CT7567 You are completely right. Fortunately I am within the terms of the other Group Build I am participating (simply called "Gulf War" in an Italian modelling site), because it includes the entire period from 2 August 1990 to 28 February 1991

I also have the decals for the VF-154 CAG but the same subject was already built by another participant

• Like 1

Thank You all

after having assembled the definitive missiles and having opacified where it was needed, I can call this model done

Grumman F-14A Tomcat

VF-21 Freelancer

BuNo 161603

Hobby Boss 1/72

51680237114_26012ed63f_b.jpg

51680432990_e927f60ce2_b.jpg

51679562341_e842a14391_b.jpg

51680220549_d88ac26f40_b.jpg

51680220519_2f96da979b_b.jpg

• Like 8

looks great well done!

can someone explain to me early tomcat exhuast nozzles?

some people build them both ‘contracted’, some people build them with one ‘contracted’ and one ‘open’?!

and then theres the inflight models with both ‘open’.

• Like 1

Thank You @Col. and @Dansk

F-14 engine nozzle "parking" position

From "Home of M.A.T.S." 

The TF30's afterburner nozzles are regulated open or closed individually by each engine's afterburner fuel control system. The afterburner fuel control pumps are individually operated using the hydraulic pressure produced by the combined and flight hydraulic systems. The port engine powers the combined hydrualic system and the starboard engine powers the flight hydraulic system.
The Tomcat has a "weight on wheels" switch and a "weight off wheels" switch. When weight is "on wheels" (on deck) the nozzles are commanded open to reduce thrust produced by the engines to keep from blowing over ground personnel. When the weight is "off wheels" (airborne) the nozzles will close any time when being in "basic engine" from idle to military power (highest thrust without selecting afterburner) and will open up as afterburner is staged. This feature gives added thrust at idle when being airborne. The switches are mechanically operated by the main landing gear scissors assemblies, but need electrical power to function. When electrical power is taken off the jet completely, the aircraft will default to the weight off wheels condition where the nozzles close so that if there happened to be a total electrical failure airborne you would still have the same amount of thrust at idle that you always do airborne.

I like symmetry so, if I have a choice, I choose this option however there are photos of parked planes in every configuration. I did another tomcat with the open nozzles because I had seen it like this in the picture

49129810452_3e6bc0f116_c.jpg

49116394398_900a2524c3_b.jpg

• Like 3