J26 (P-51D) Mustang - Swedish Air force, Uppsala 1945

I got this kit from and collegue at work who said he will not get it build, but maybe I could find the time. Well now it is the time for this old kit! I've build a few Mustang, but all in 1/48 scale so I guess that won't help me much. I'll be building it straight OOB, and my plan is to do it as a "fast" build, since I've have another kit waiting for me as well :) Anyways, here a some pictures:

The box
y4marUXxWhuM774qjtoyeyZUt2OfpX7FdHXL7ciT 

The sprues - which looks like they'll need some filing and sanding ;) 

y4mk5g99v4f7YiKdyhNalMRkhgxYtQWGhQEt7CLE

The instructions and the decals. They look good, hopefully the will work fine ;)

y4mB0O_DOgjxsStr6G2u89w0uWNJvt4Df9Q2qGCH

• Like 5

Nice, another J 26! :)  I have never built that older kit so I am curious, hopefully it is no problems!

What I like about Airfix, one of the things, is that they treat us other European countries well with decals for us too. They have often treated us Swedes well anyways.

And I had to check wiki if Denmark used the P-51Ds (no?) since I could not remember.. But I do know you operated some kind of Mk. IX Spitfires, which makes me a bit jealous.. ;)

If there is anything you need help with about those j 26s - maybe I can? Not an expert but I am right now reading up on them.

And being fast build, I guess the kit decals are fine - but in case you need replacements, you do know Moose Republi Decals? Excellent stuff and a little more correct blue and yellow on the national insignias, usually.. But Airfix decals are usually no problem handling (these are probably Cartograf?) and not too far off to really make it worthwile for a quick and cheap build. :)

If I had any in 1/72 you could have had them, but I just have 1/48..

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Nice, another J 26! :)  I have never built that older kit so I am curious, hopefully it is no problems!

What I like about Airfix, one of the things, is that they treat us other European countries well with decals for us too. They have often treated us Swedes well anyways.

And I had to check wiki if Denmark used the P-51Ds (no?) since I could not remember.. But I do know you operated some kind of Mk. IX Spitfires, which makes me a bit jealous.. ;)

If there is anything you need help with about those j 26s - maybe I can? Not an expert but I am right now reading up on them.

And being fast build, I guess the kit decals are fine - but in case you need replacements, you do know Moose Republi Decals? Excellent stuff and a little more correct blue and yellow on the national insignias, usually.. But Airfix decals are usually no problem handling (these are probably Cartograf?) and not too far off to really make it worthwile for a quick and cheap build. :)

If I had any in 1/72 you could have had them, but I just have 1/48..

Thank you, very kind of you! I didnt know airfix did that, but great :D I'm not sure, but I dont recall P51's in danish colours :)  But yes, there were some Danish spitfires, if time allows it, maybe I should build one of them as well in this GB. 

So far it has begun quite allright, no big issues, just have to remember dryfitting since there are small things to correct so the fit is good :)

Well maybe you can help me answering this, I did a quick google, and found some pictures of the J26, and some of the colours seems to variate a bit on the antiglare on the front, but also for the letter on the tail. The one I have suggest black antiglare, but I saw one with light olive colour. Regarding the tailletter, mine is a red F, but for the decals from Moose, it is blue. Is it possible it was red at some time, or is that just wrong :D  

Edited by fmichelsen
  • Like 1

Yeah! Would love to see a Danish Spitfire! I might have decals even, I bought that Eduard Royal Class for the IX, might have had some there? I´ll check!

I have not read about the antiglare yet. My guess is, some retained the Olvie Drab (?) as they were delivered? Most more P-51D-20 NAs from storage in Germany, but the first were delievered from England during April 1945.

I have seen it too and it seems some are black and some are green (Olive Drab?) - black later? I cannot remember how US P-51Ds were, I remember them as Olive Drab but possibly repainted later to black?

As for the letter, it just sounds like different squadrons to me. 1st Squadron in Wing is red, 2nd blue and 3rd yellow (same for the cavalry as I was in, I was in a "blue" platoon, 2nd platoon).  (Not sure about the green and i guessed that white was for HQ - but - I don+t know! I´ll look into it)

So I guess you are looking at two different aircraft? From two different squadrons?

21 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Yeah I think so. :)

Some on the anti-glare

Edit: Saw something about a 5th squadron at F 16 Wing.. So that might explain the green colours 8and the white? which I thought was HQ)..

Thank you, good info! :) 

21 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Yeah! Would love to see a Danish Spitfire! I might have decals even, I bought that Eduard Royal Class for the IX, might have had some there? I´ll check!

I have not read about the antiglare yet. My guess is, some retained the Olvie Drab (?) as they were delivered? Most more P-51D-20 NAs from storage in Germany, but the first were delievered from England during April 1945.

I have seen it too and it seems some are black and some are green (Olive Drab?) - black later? I cannot remember how US P-51Ds were, I remember them as Olive Drab but possibly repainted later to black?

As for the letter, it just sounds like different squadrons to me. 1st Squadron in Wing is red, 2nd blue and 3rd yellow (same for the cavalry as I was in, I was in a "blue" platoon, 2nd platoon).  (Not sure about the green and i guessed that white was for HQ - but - I don+t know! I´ll look into it)

So I guess you are looking at two different aircraft? From two different squadrons?

I guess you're right about that :)

• Like 1

Looking real good - what colours did you use? I am throwing some idea around for a NMF P-51D too - and I´m curious what shades people use for variation . Stainless steel for the exhaust, Alclad II - but I´m not sure what to use for the painted wings, if you chose that, or the bare metal finish.. What are your opinions?

Edit: Hmm, seems like magnesium is good for that exhaust thing/panel..

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Looking real good - what colours did you use? I am throwing some idea around for a NMF P-51D too - and I´m curious what shades people use for variation . Stainless steel for the exhaust, Alclad II - but I´m not sure what to use for the painted wings, if you chose that, or the bare metal finish.. What are your opinions?

Edit: Hmm, seems like magnesium is good for that exhaust thing/panel..

Thank you :) I used Vallejo aluminium for the main body and wing, for the guncoverplates i mixed the aluminium 50/50 with vallejo dark aluminium. For the exhaust I used dark aluminium ;) I does look a bit darker on pictures than in real life. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

welcome along and I almost missed this build completely!!! 

I do apologise for that, work and life has been a bit of a dampener with time of here.

Anyway I'm glad you've joined us with a great mustang build.... and a very quick build at that, putting a lot of use to shame plus she's looking awesome, well done. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

My parents popped in for a quick visit and my dad handed me that kit.. Picked it up for cheap somewhere.. I am tempted to use it as a test-build.. Looks good enough! And get some vallejo metal colours and try them! You build was a good inspiration! ;9

• Thanks 1