Need Some Swiss Bf 109G-6 Color Help

CharleyGnarlyP290

Howdy!
I am getting ready to build the Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109G-6, kit 61117 and I want to paint do it in Swiss markings. I already have a decal set for it, but need some help figuring out what colors to use for the upper surfaces.
The aircraft I am doing is marked J-704. Apparently, this aircraft had an experimental camo scheme applied by the Swiss. It is a green and brown(ish) scheme, but the decal set doesn't indicate what colors they were. All of the photos I can find are of the original German scheme, pre-accident.
So, does anyone here know what colors were used?
Thanks a bunch in advance.
Brett G

Edited by CharleyGnarlyP290

Hello, Brett G

Here is a photo of J-704 after the repaint, found here:

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6-SAF-Flieger-Reg-2

There is another photo of this aircraft in Les Messerschmitt Bf 109 Suisses, special edition of Avions magazine. Unfortunately, like the one above, it can only confirm the camouflage pattern. According to the first edition of the above mentioned publications, colours of repainted aircraft are Swiss dark green and light brown. In the second editions this description changes to green and brown. It is not much, but I hope it helps. Cheers

Jure

6 hours ago, CharleyGnarlyP290 said:

So, does anyone here know what colors were used?

this book, 

113670-10000-66-pristine.jpg

"That's a really wonderful book and gives the complete paint specs for all colours the Swiss used on their military aircraft. One of the best books of its type ever published." 

"Same author wrote "Die Messerschmitt Me 109 in der Schweizer Flugwaffe" which is an amazing book too!"

from a discussion here

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/bf-109e-in-swiss-markings-which-red-t526066.html#p2812183

No idea if it has the Swiis 109 repaints, but given the Swiss are famed for being orderly,  they may well have recorded the colours.   

PS - shame the book seems to be OOP and expensive.... 

Farbgebung und Kennzeichen der Schweizer Militäraviatik 1914-1950 by Hoch, Georg  ISBN 10: 3905404532 - ISBN 13: 9783905404531

HTH

4 minutes ago, Michou said:

From Georg Hoch's book, Farbgebung und Kennzeichen der Schweizer Militäraviatik 1914-1950, an original part of J-704 is a match with RLM81.  It is not known if the paint was of German manufacture.

Mike

IS there anything else in the book on the repaints?   Or, what Swiss colours were at this time?   the Hyperscale link had a RAL code for the red is why I ask. 

Why am I now suddenly intrigued by a Swiss 109 repaint....   I wonder if there are more images in the Swiss 109 book?

cheers

T

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

IS there anything else in the book on the repaints?   Or, what Swiss colours were at this time?   the Hyperscale link had a RAL code for the red is why I ask. 

Why am I now suddenly intrigued by a Swiss 109 repaint....   I wonder if there are more images in the Swiss 109 book?

cheers

T

Hoch's book on colour schemes and markings has a few pages of colour patches but these are printed, not actual paint samples.  Switzerland appears not to have a national colour standard equivalent to FS 595 or BS 381 and the paints are referred to by the manufacturers' name or by the Swiss Army store catalogue number.  However, Georg does link the colours to RAL, RLM, FS or BS standards, sometimes with the note "not definitively documented", or "compared with an original part".

The book has this to say about Me 109s

Me 109 paints were later manufactured in Switzerland and were identified as follows:
    grau-blau       K+W 1 / Art Nr 602344 (RLM65)
    dunkelgrün      K+W 2 / Art Nr 602342 (RLM70)
    hellgrün        K+W 3 / Art Nr 602343 (RLM71)

grau-blau (or blau-grau) was later called hellblau.
    Note that the German Luftwaffe identified RLM70 as schwarzgrün and RLM71 as dunkelgrün.

There is a photo of the damaged J-704 taken at Interlaken on 13 November 1946.  The caption has the reference to the brown being similar to RLM81.

I saw the Hyperscale posting with the very unhelpful comment that "red is red".  My small RAL fandeck has over a dozen different types of red!

The book by Georg Hoch on the Me 109 in Swiss service has been translated into English but the translation is very poor.

Mike

• Thanks 1

https://www.hataka-hobby.com/HTK-AS15-Swiss-Air-Force-Paint-Set-WW2-Period

Maybe this is a simpler answer. Switzerland had its kamo colors during WWII.

Samo

• Like 1

I have no idea what the actual colors used on J-704 were, but that's a mighty darned attractive color scheme and markings! Go for it, I say! The Morane D-3801 is another aircraft that the Swiss used that was painted in  a very similar scheme, plus that funky looking single engined C-3603 that looked like a Bf-110 that rear ended a Fairey Fulmar.

Mike

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/83787-swiss-air-force-100th-anniversary-part-33/