Messerschmitt Me110G-2/R2 'Bomber Destroyer' - Eduard/Aims 1/48

andyh59

I have had the Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt Me110G-2 in my stash since its initial release, I have been intending to build the R2 version since then, I purchased over the years, the Eduard photoetch set, the Brassin wheels and the Master metal BK37mm Kanone barrel, even then I didn't get around to building this kit.

Then AIMs released a resin 'conversion' kit which renewed my interest in building this kit. The AIMs set provides a more accurate gun pod, the Nitrous Oxide tank (carried in the rear of the cockpit) transparent cowling covers, the ammunition plus holders, transparent wing lights, a brass gun barrel and upper nose cover. Nearly forgot 2x W.Gr.21 rockets.

Build was fairly straightforward plenty has been written about Eduard's 1/48 Me110s, especially the cowling fit! I did find the wing to fuselage joint rather poor requiring plastic card fillers to fill the gaps. I was a little concerned about using the AIMS resin cowling replacements but they were a very good fit. I cut out the leading edge slats to show them in the extended position. The canopy required the rear gun opening being filled in with a piece of transparent plastic and also the centre piece of the canopy was replaced with a spare from another 110 kit. This was necessary as this part of the canopy in the G-2 kit has a bulged fairing on it, which this version does not luckily I had several spares from other kits.

I chose this particular version of the G-2 not just for the Kanone but also because of the tank for the Nitrous Oxide system, which was something out of the ordinary. It shows the desperate measures the Luftwaffe were driven to combat the B-17s and B-24s of the US Air Force.

I painted the 110 using a combination of Vallejo & AK Real colour 74/75/76, the W.Gr.21s were painted a different shade of 76 to make them appear newer than the airframe they were attached to. When it came to the markings I really wanted to find a different machine to M8+KM which appears in most photos of this version, I was going to go for the machine shown flying in formation with KM which was SM, but could I find the correct style white S in my decal bank, of course not!!!! These machines were not photographed very often, however in a Classic Publication of the Me110 I found a photo of a line up of ZG.76 G-2s all of which appeared to be the R2 version. One of these machines was coded M8+F? so correctly or not chose to mark my kit M8+FM!! Decals used were all from Eduard Me 110 decal sheets.

This machine represents one of 4./ ZG.76 in Czechoslovakia 1944 :-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png