Help please on drawing this vehicle cab in Fusion 360

bootneck

Can anyone please help or advise me on how I can draw the cab of this Bedford RL to make a decent print? 

mjLw1OQ.png

section of Mick Bell plan

I have drawn a few vehicles in CAD and been able to 3D print them to without a problem; however, I am finding that the shape of this cab is currently beyond my skills in Fusion 360.

I would be grateful to hear of any practical advice on how to draw the cab in Fusion 360 in order that I can make a print.  I've tried Loft, Filter and Chamfer but the curves just don't follow the sketches I've drawn and I really would like to know where I am going wrong with this.

cheers,
Mike

I would think you should be able to make it with lofts and suitable rails - probably in a few stages, e.g. the lower "bulge", upper bonnet and cab. For example to do the lower part of the cab unit use the top view to draw the outside shape of the lower part on one sketch just above the front bumper then draw the upper shape on an offset plane at the join line half way up to the cab windows. If you then add sketches based on the side and front views you can draw curved lines connecting the top and bottom planes to use as rails for the loft.

Alternatively you may want to exp;lore surfaces or forms if you haven't already. Surfacing potentially allows easier generation of smooth thin curved faces whiich can then either be built up into a uniform thickness, stuck together to form a solid, or used as a cutting tool to cut up a solid body. The form tool allows sculpting of very "organic" objects albeit with limited "reversibility". Try looking at a few youtube videos on "Car modelling" or "T-splines".

Tony Andrews

On 9/18/2021 at 8:59 PM, bootneck said:

Can anyone please help or advise me on how I can draw the cab of this Bedford RL to make a decent print? 

mjLw1OQ.png

section of Mick Bell plan

I have drawn a few vehicles in CAD and been able to 3D print them to without a problem; however, I am finding that the shape of this cab is currently beyond my skills in Fusion 360.

I would be grateful to hear of any practical advice on how to draw the cab in Fusion 360 in order that I can make a print.  I've tried Loft, Filter and Chamfer but the curves just don't follow the sketches I've drawn and I really would like to know where I am going wrong with this.

cheers,
Mike

Mike,

It’s all in your head! Once you realise how to look at stuff with ‘fusion eyes’ the fog lifts. 

this a fairly chunky looking thing that doesn’t need to be dimensionally that accurate. 

Mirroring is your friend, cut the thing in half to start with then block it out, it looks like it’s made from 5 or six cuboids, keep them separate at this stage and play around with boxing in the rough shape. Think Lego. 

sweep is very useful too, it’s a profile along a line, so it can apply a curved profile along a curved line, I can’t see anything here you need to loft really. 

when you’ve done that, sketch the most complex curve on the appropriate face of each box and cut, take multiple copies of each box so you make cutting tools in a different Axis if required as the shape - this is the most important bit - shapes can be shapes OR cutting tools for shapes, try sweeping these profiles as discussed. 

when you have a full set, duplicate them all, hide one set and combine them See how far you get using fillets, I suspect it won’t be far off.

shell it or cut out the voids (shapes as cutting tools) you need to then just mirror to get the full cab. 

If you really still need to sculpt it further, I have exported to Blender before now, as it’s a lot easier in there, bear in mind, it won’t come back into fusion as an editable thing at that stage though. 

BTW this a great thing to learn on, it’s helpfully chunky!

have fun,

Nick

Sorry, I assumed you know to bring your 3 view drawings in as a canvas on each plane? Do that first if you haven’t already.

regards,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to build the cab using clear resin, I suggest that you do it in three parts: right plus back, left plus front, and the roof..

That is how I have done our Mandator cab, but orientation is critical to avoid striations or build lines. Also clear panes don't want to be too thick.

Hope this helps.