Airfix 1/72 Blenheim Mk IV - the Old One (as you would expect)

I'll sneak in with this one, if I may - the Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk IV in the 'red stripe' boxing and 'all action' artwork. Look at that sky blue plastic!!! There were a couple of extra clear parts in the box and there is an 'empty' spot on the trees - might be a bit missing. Locate and cement.....

Frwv6bB.jpg?1

4Y8WdMT.jpg?1

ScComa7.jpg?1

zGL4KZj.jpg?1

• Like 6

I’ll look forward to seeing this come to fruition, as I’ve the later boxing of the same kit. I was hoping to include it in this GB but wildly underestimated how long the Beaufighter would take. 

Hope you enjoy the build. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have a missing control column (part 7). If you need a spare drop me a line.

Looking forward to seeing your build. I have also been wildly underestimating, in my case how much time my work will take, so I’m not going to get to build my copy of this one either!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/09/2021 at 01:20, jackroadkill said:

I’ll look forward to seeing this come to fruition, as I’ve the later boxing of the same kit. I was hoping to include it in this GB but wildly underestimated how long the Beaufighter would take. 

Hope you enjoy the build. 

Thanks @jackroadkill. I'll be cutting it fine just with this early boxing - a lot of parts on page 2 of the Instructions!

On 19/09/2021 at 08:57, AdrianMF said:

You have a missing control column (part 7). If you need a spare drop me a line.

Looking forward to seeing your build. I have also been wildly underestimating, in my case how much time my work will take, so I’m not going to get to build my copy of this one either!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Luckily, I also have a later incomplete boxing of this kit and the control column is there but thanks for the offer.

Now have the cockpit floor built up but it looks to be a bit low - the pilot may need a cushion to sit on. Why is the bulkhead behind the pilot so far back?

Y5D69EX.jpg

I7ZnlrK.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 5

Looking forward to seeing you build this as I built one of these last month. A lovely light blue plastic experience although the transparencies were bit of a nightmare.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2021 at 23:49, davecov said:

Looking forward to seeing you build this as I built one of these last month. A lovely light blue plastic experience although the transparencies were bit of a nightmare.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. You'll know the issues, then! I decided to make the cockpit a bit more accurate and pulled the bulkhead forward to behind the pilot's seat, cut the floor in half and raised it in the port fuselage to bring the seat up to windscreen level.

C9PVQnQ.jpg

Some frantic painting going on here!

cUuc3pG.jpg

• Like 6

Only a few issues but watch out for the navigator/bombardier figure. Although he comes "Bader-esque" with no legs, you may find that you still need to chop a couple of mm from his underside otherwise his head stops the canopy from fitting correctly.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Put a bit of a sprint on with the Old Tool Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk IV but there's loads to do so not destined for the gallery, I'm afraid.

Turret bottom half is in the fuselage and the fuselage halves are together. A little filler required at the usual top and bottom seams, which refused to be aligned. Stabilisers are on.

DheuOg9.jpg

Undercarriage is in and the wings are together. A bit of trimming and sanding required on the port wing seams. Engines and all the other bits getting some colour.

hbAq5J6.jpg?1

Well done to everybody and Host @rob85 - some fantastic builds here so tomorrow, I'll browse through them again!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2021 at 15:26, davecov said:

Only a few issues but watch out for the navigator/bombardier figure. Although he comes "Bader-esque" with no legs, you may find that you still need to chop a couple of mm from his underside otherwise his head stops the canopy from fitting correctly.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, that's an excellent 'heads up' - pardon the pun! I'll do a dry fit of the Nav to check on headroom. 

In the meantime, the wings are on - a fairly decent fit and the dihedral outside of the engine nacelles looks good. I'm hedging my bets on whether the undercarriage should get fixed in one position or the other and waiting until I get the 'doors' on. The front of the fuselage needs another taping to hold it together while more glue dries.

IvvG2V6.jpg

• Like 2

The Blenheim Mk. IV is moving on. The top and bottom fuselage seams needed filling (Airfix Old Tool speciality) and there was a little PPP required on the wing joints. Wing seams just got the edges sanded. Engine cowlings had some mold lines to remove.

I've dry fitted the gun pack for a Mk. IVF and also the engine cowlings to help during painting. I've decided to dispense with masking tape other than for the rear fuselage (always comes a cropper on a rivetted surface) and got on with the Light Blue underside (Humbrol 65) and Dark Earth top surfaces (Humbrol 29) using my best flat brush - two coats apiece. Top tip from others during the GB - inside of the landing light cut-out painted 'Aluminium'.

ODRthiK.jpg

bVz9KiQ.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

The second coat of Dark Green is on the Blenheim Mk IV and the crew are painted and in - headroom under the main canopy seems to be just sufficient (the pilot's seat was raised) but I'll check again at the next stage.

The engines are fitted to the cowlings with the tube intakes in - I cut in the little cut-outs you see in the exhaust collector rings for the lower intake and the unused one on the other side - I wonder why that was there? The collector ring is painted and I added the front ring in silver which I've seen in reference pics but also on the box art. Aerial post is on and pitot tube and fuel dump pipes on underneath.

nQit8DD.jpg?1

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The old tool Airfix Blenheim Mk IV has been moving along with all the parts assembled now and the canopy frames painted with a tidy up to do. There is a bit of touch up to do along the front as the fit of the bomb aimer's windows was slightly out but more importantly, the props still spin!! Ready for transfers now (coated with Decalfilm just in case....)

WLRo8Rq.jpg

vnl49Xe.jpg

P9Tp3gw.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Airfix Old Tool Bristol Blenheim MK.IV is finished now with transfers on - behaved immaculately - and aerial wire fitted. The bomb aimer's window was tidied up along with some other touch-ups. I added in the red doped patch over the single forward facing '303' in the port wing and added in the navigation and formation lights at the wingtips plus the white rear light on the tail.  Matt Cote overall but always looks a bit Satin to me.

Lovely build- took a while and bust the deadline but a real nostalgia build for me. At the end of the day, the undercarriage had to be glued in the up position but the props still spin! Now for the desert/Free French version......

Yxhw1Jb.jpg?1

dOfh7wm.jpg?1

t2yFbk9.jpg?1

iRxmXu5.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff, really enjoyed following the build thread as well.

I remember trying to build this one as a nipper, and had an absolute nightmare with the canopy...... a gluey fingerprint fest, as I recall ! :doh:

Really need to build this one again.

Congratulations 

cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1