BL755 on German Phantoms

Anatol Pigwa

While the German F-4F Phantom II was mainly used as an ADF, they went also to the JaBoG 35 and 36 where they had a secondary ground attack role.

I am looking for any images confirming the A2G loadouts, particularly with the BL755. While I found a few pictures showing Mavericks on German Phantoms I had no luck with unguided munition so far (except for the testing of the MW-1 dispenser)

It would be interesting to know if the unguided bombs were hung on standard MERs or if they had different rack (the same as the British Phantoms?).

I am always amazed bz the combined knowledge here at BM. WOW! what great Info! Way more than I hoped for.

I heard the AirDOC books are quite good. Which one would you recommend though? AFAIK there is one big book on the german phantoms and separate booklets dealing with individuale squadrons etc,

6 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Photos of West German aircraft with any offensive armament are quite rare, but there is this one with apparently 12 (or 10?) BL755:

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/175502/3837

(I hope the link is ok in this way). Probably rather something to show off and less practical for real missions.

Great Picture and I am tempted to build this Picture - if I can find enough BL755s in my stash!

6 hours ago, Doc72 said:

BTW: You might also search for photos of West German RF-4Es. They were updated in 1979/80 to carry BL755 and Matra 250kg GP bombs. I've seen photos of a RF-4E carrying 3 BL755 under each wing.

Yes read about it as well. This is another subject which would look good, partucularly in Norm 83!

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Quite a lot of offensive capability I this video.

Luftwaffe Phantoms even using Napalm!

WOW again! Now this is quite something. Thanks a million!

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Generally Matra 250 kg bombs from Starfighter until Tornado, or BL755 clusters!

Unfortunately Matra 250 kg bombs are common like hens teeth in 1/72 :( I believe only the Hobby Boss Jaguars have them?

I guess form my next Phantom Projects I'll go for a F-4F with Napalm and a RF-4E with BL755s then!

Cheers

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

I am always amazed bz the combined knowledge here at BM. WOW! what great Info! Way more than I hoped for.

I heard the AirDOC books are quite good. Which one would you recommend though? AFAIK there is one big book on the german phantoms and separate booklets dealing with individuale squadrons etc,

This one is my favourite reference for F-4F.

https://www.scalemates.com/fr/books/pictorial-luftwaffe-phantoms-adps-modern-combat-aircraft-special-series-adps-007-andreas-klein--102387

3 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

I have the book and the booklets. As far as I remember you get all the info and most of the photos if you buy the book.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:31 PM, Anatol Pigwa said:

There is a four part series in AirDOCs ADP - Post WW II Combat Aircraft range, which were also available combined in a quite spiffy hardshell casette,  and a seperate pictorual volume dealing with German Phantoms in the classic Norn 72 splinter:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Books&q=airdoc+luftwaffe+phantom

All are lovely and come higly recommended. I live in hope for more parts of their excellent Ultimate F-4 Phantom II Collection series. 

Cheers,

Andre 

On 9/18/2021 at 8:31 PM, Anatol Pigwa said:

Great Picture and I am tempted to build this Picture - if I can find enough BL755s in my stash!

IIRC the original Airfix MRCA includes a lifetime supply of BLs - the basic shapes anyway. You'd likely need some PE for the very prominent fuze vane (?) up front.

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Anyone knows why they were stripy?

Is this marking them as clusters? Or training weapons? 

The BL755 was a soft skinned weapon and carried the four lateral bars to show the cradling points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1