USMC TA-4F Skyhawk

TA-4F Skyhawk

H&MS 12, US Marine Corps

MCAS Iwakuni, Japan, 1970

1/48 Fujimi kit of old – Superscale decals

There are much better Skyhawk kits of course, but I’ve had the Fujimi 1/48 TA-4F/J for a long long time and it was time to build it. It was one of those builds done just for the pleasure of putting an old kit together and using some just as old decals and I enjoyed it. It was never going to be a competition winning model – I would have bought the Hasegawa kit if I wanted that sort of modelling – so there were a number of compromises and short cuts. It was the discovery of the TA-4F version that inspired me. This was a TA-4J which retained the guns and hardpoints from the A-4F and used by the USMC. I came across this photo and the markings for it were there on an old Superscale decal sheet :

TA-4F_Skyhawk_of_H&MS-12_at_Iwakuni_c1971

I couldn't resist rebuilding the cockpit interior (resin seats by Pavla) and opening the slats, but other than that it's from the box. So this is how it turned out:

IMG_6161

IMG_6167

IMG_6165

IMG_6162

IMG_6156

IMG_6155

IMG_6153

• Like 19

Neat work and a colorful scheme.

I have a Fujimi A-4 in my stash. It has very subtle raised rivets and recessed panel lines.

Did your two seater come from the same range of kits or has Fujimi re tooled their Skyhaks at some point ?

12 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Neat work and a colorful scheme.

I have a Fujimi A-4 in my stash. It has very subtle raised rivets and recessed panel lines.

Did your two seater come from the same range of kits or has Fujimi re tooled their Skyhaks at some point ?

It's basically the same kit as the single seater. I built an A-4E from the kit many years ago. The two seater has the same raised rivets and panel lines - I enhanced a few of the raised lines and panels by going over them with an HB pencil before the Klear coat. There are a few indented panel lines around the nose area on both kits.

• Like 1