Airfix 1:72 Hurricane Mk1 (fabric wing) A68216 starter kit.

A regular build I am sure and oft seen here so nothing new and too interesting guys 😛

After 35 years absence, this is the first aircraft to inhabit the upcoming BoB shelf/s in display cabinet. Many things have changed, when I was a young fella we had never heard of such things as panel & pin washes, weathering, detailing etc. Still, I am loving the 'learning curve' though God, it takes far longer now than when I was a young fella! I knocked them out at the rate of one or more a week then!

It is all Out of the Box (OoB) except for the aftermarket 5 spokes. The aircraft has recently landed and the Ground Crew have not yet attended. It was built as open cockpit since I needed the handsome pilot to replace the Orc (see my Avatar) of the upcoming Airfix Spitfire Mk1a! The weathering has been kept light since as has been stated by your good selves, most BoB aircraft just didn't survive for very long. There are many bits I am not happy with but I am sure we all feel the same of every model we build. A perfect model is unattainable, at 1:72 even more so I feel. It has been slow progress and the poor thing too often handled, being used as mule to a fair extent and being the first built in so long a time, whilst trying to learn new skills. Hence the slight, odd visit by a very drunk 'Rosy the Riveter'! You can play 'Where's Wally' there guys if you know the kit 🤣

Big thanks go out to @fishplanebeer (Colin), @Black Knight, @noelh, @vildebeest, @Fukuryu & @Werdna for all their help along the way and special thanks to @Troy Smith for my now much improved knowledge of Mk1 Hurry's and Mk1a Spitfires and the wealth of knowledge and images supplied 👌

Anyway, here goes:

0b4f148be346bb926f7f2bb11551bc28.jpg

5eacbc46eb3ebc52d8683fde6fe76ffd.jpg

I scratch built some wing tip lights from clear sprue. Much nicer than just a drop of paint. 🙂

711758496ae0d9b6bd5c2a2871d8b057.jpg

I placed the Gas Detection Patch where Airfix show it and everybody else puts it but I would have thought it should be inboard of the port upper wing roundel?

8ef616f77230eea2de892cc27796ee04.jpg

8e8f252d317afc1d4f2ccad26e207b20.jpg

For interest, the elevators were down as seen on many images (Mk1's anyway) and the rudder turned (pilot may have been desperate for the bathroom?)

b8fc6583eccb55abe4745eabe0ad96a3.jpg

Sutton Harness is made from brown envelope paper. It is far more 3d than decals. There is also a scratch built mirror and gun sight 🙂

e1af4ed249c7b0d0651e65fec1c79737.jpg

The aftermarket 5 spokes as replacement for the incorrect (and too large a diameter) 4 spokes.

62b077471ce685032e10e8c83290387f.jpg

I can't stop myself drilling out the exhausts! They don't look right without a hole and a dot of Matt black isn't very convincing or 3D to my mind 🤣

Thanks for all the help guys from what is a great forum👍

Regards,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C
  • Like 43

A very attractive Hurricane! The offset control surfaces (and the drilled out exhausts!) transform the 'model' to an impression of shrunk reality.

Nihil sine labore* is as valid in modelling as everywhere else. 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

* Nothing Without Work

• Thanks 1

Didn't think I was much help. But the others you mentioned know their stuff.

If that's your first effort after 35 years. I look forward to seeing the results when you're fully in your stride.

👍

• Thanks 1

Lindsey,

All your research and eye for detail has paid handsome dividends as it's a real gem and a great start to your BoB collection. I love the way you've weathered the exhausts, very realistic, and the cockpit detail is spot on and very impressive.

Now looking forward to seeing your Spitfire and Bf109E.

Regards

Colin.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

All your research and eye for detail has paid handsome dividends as it's a real gem and a great start to your BoB collection. I love the way you've weathered the exhausts, very realistic, and the cockpit detail is spot on and very impressive.

Now looking forward to seeing your Spitfire and Bf109E.

Aaaw Gawd. No pressure then! 🥴

Thanks @fishplanebeer Colin. I feel I am getting somewhere. The detail I think is down to you guys to a great extent. Airfix Mk1a Spitfire (A68206) well underway and I think will I will build the Tamiya Mk1a straight after then the KP Mk1b (it will be Grumpy Unwin's R6776). Thence to the BP Defiant & Arma Hobby panel wing Mk1 Hurricane. It makes sense to me I think  to stick to RAF while I have something of a 'feel' for them. Then comes the radical paint jobs Luftwaffe aircraft! God, it seems every one of the same group have different paint jobs! I thought the Germans were sticklers for regulation? Not when they arrived at the airfield it seems! I am finding it hard to see me managing them all without having to spend more hard earned loot on an airbrush! Damn Lidl! I have a Ju88, Do 17Z-2, Ju87b, 2 Bf110's (both Eduard - Yummy) and 6 Emil's (2 Special Hobby & 2 Eduard - yummy)! I have yet to source a He111 though I have suitable BoB decals on the way.

Regards,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C