RAF Sabre Mk 4 - Airfix - and serial numbers

John B (Sc)

Having just got hold of this kit, there is one very minor point which immediately struck me.   A wee whinge follows ! 

It's a nicely moulded kit, will be fun to build, but why did Airfix choose two aircraft with such similar serial numbers?   The XB series serials, fair enough. But XB984 and XB584 ?  

Come on, Airfix, if you are giving two examples why not choose numbers which give folk a chance to model a few other examples easily. That might even help encourage the occasional extra purchase.  Having given use 9, 8 and 4 , why not make the other serial one from the numbers 0,1, 2, 3, 5, 6 or 7 ?  It can't be that hard to find suitable numbers.

A very quick search found for example XB640 of no3 Sqn and XB981 of no 4 Sqn., so not even changing the Squadrons provided. 

OK, aftermarket decal suppliers can fill in, but making it easier and more useful wouldn't hurt, surely?

This seems to be a common failing - does anyone think it is deliberate? 

John B

21 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Having just got hold of this kit, there is one very minor point which immediately struck me.   A wee whinge follows ! 

It's a nicely moulded kit, will be fun to build, but why did Airfix choose two aircraft with such similar serial numbers?   The XB series serials, fair enough. But XB984 and XB584 ?  

Come on, Airfix, if you are giving two examples why not choose numbers which give folk a chance to model a few other examples easily. That might even help encourage the occasional extra purchase.  Having given use 9, 8 and 4 , why not make the other serial one from the numbers 0,1, 2, 3, 5, 6 or 7 ?  It can't be that hard to find suitable numbers.

A very quick search found for example XB640 of no3 Sqn and XB981 of no 4 Sqn., so not even changing the Squadrons provided. 

OK, aftermarket decal suppliers can fill in, but making it easier and more useful wouldn't hurt, surely?

This seems to be a common failing - does anyone think it is deliberate? 

John B

Aftermarket numbers/letters  are readily available from quite a few manufacturers so modelling any aircraft wouldn't be a problem.

Selwyn

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Not deliberate - the two schemes were my suggestion, made because both were more 'colourful' than others from the same units.

Well  to be honest I personally think the 4 Sqn scheme in the kit is probably one of the dullest schemes I have ever seen on the Sabre! This would have been much better in my opinion!

Selwyn

• Like 1

Thanks Sabrejet - I wasn't aware that those two specific aircraft were more colourful than others in their units - why was that? Neither looks to be the CO's aircraft.

However I do also agree with Selwyn about the other 4 Sqn aircraft - I really like the colourful rectangles era of markings, and  4 Sqn has long been a particular favourite of mine.

Ah well, whatever you do, someone will mump.    Oops - sorry !

John B

XB984 is 3 Sqn CO's aircraft and probably one of the most colourful RAF Sabres. It hadn't been done with the correct ejection triangles and CO's name before.

The later 4 Sqn Sabre scheme had been done on other decal sheets before (Eagle Strike etc): the machine depicted by Airfix was an attempt to present a 4 Sqn machine/scheme which hadn't been done before.  

Simple really. No need to apologise either: it can be difficult to please all the people all the time!